Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGG's Platinum hunting 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: AY Silver
Ah, I priced up a 3 leg ARN-HEL-PRG-HEL flight and it kicked me into an SEK priced page with a 50% points earning for 474SEK or 100% for 870SEK. Which begs more questions than it answered!

- Is this found through trial and error?
- Is it only PRG?
- Is it to do with connections only from ARN (or e.g. other Finnish airports than HEL),
- Can the stay be longer in i.e. PRG
- Are there any hints pages/threads here on the Finnair forum on how to do this, so I can stop interfering in your very interesting thread with my boring questions?!

Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FossilFlyer
Ah, I priced up a 3 leg ARN-HEL-PRG-HEL flight and it kicked me into an SEK priced page with a 50% points earning for 474SEK or 100% for 870SEK. Which begs more questions than it answered!

- Is this found through trial and error?
- Is it only PRG?
- Is it to do with connections only from ARN (or e.g. other Finnish airports than HEL),
- Can the stay be longer in i.e. PRG
- Are there any hints pages/threads here on the Finnair forum on how to do this, so I can stop interfering in your very interesting thread with my boring questions?!

Thanks!
- yes
- no
- no and no (hardly ever works with domestic connections, often with ex-EU)
- yes
- multi-city searches on ita matrix

If you append a HEL-ARN to the end, the price may further fall (or not)
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
- yes
- no
- no and no (hardly ever works with domestic connections, often with ex-EU)
- yes
- multi-city searches on ita matrix

If you append a HEL-ARN to the end, the price may further fall (or not)
I think Wilco is right in general, but if I've understood LGG correctly, and also based on some searches I've done myself, to get a price this low it has to be PRG, where transit passengers are not taxed much. That also explains you have to do a same plane turnaround. Also adding a HEL-ARN to the end sadly raises the price for this itinerary, while it would drop it for some other one.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
With LGG the same plane turnaround might also be explained with an aversion towards mass tourism (translation: "you fly somewhere you actually want to be at")

There's been several discussion on ex-EU AY flights - PRG, WAW and BUD are often the best suspects to start/terminate such flights, but others might work as well, ARN being one. TLL sadly hardly anymore. Open jaws are often OK, as are extended layovers in HEL. The best value is obviously longhaul business class flights, but as AY prices oneways crazily, some pretty savings can also be achieved with this method within Europe as well. I recently saved 500+ € on a HEL-WAW oneway by adding a CPH-HEL second leg sometime in the future.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY LUMO
First time now I tried to add HEL-ARN for this triangle and that price is not bad at all in Value:

Stockholm - Helsinki Fri 03 February 2017 AY650 R 20:45 - 22:40
Helsinki - Prague Sat 04 February 2017 AY715 R 09:40 - 10:45 (Sat)
Prague - Helsinki Sat 04 February 2017 AY716 R 11:25 - 14:35
Helsinki - Stockholm Sat 04 February 2017 AY649 R 20:10 - 20:10

1743.00SEK 181.37EUR

4 legs and points with Platinum 7500. ^
manywhere likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I recently saved 500+ € on a HEL-WAW oneway by adding a CPH-HEL second leg sometime in the future.
Like if You have something ending in BUD and You are without ticket back to homebase HEL, the cheapest option to get back home is BUD-HEL-PRG.

I like airline ticket pricing, You never know what is behind the corner.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
FossilFlyer, contact this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...e-runners.html
for more about mileage running.
manywhere likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: AY Silver
Thanks to everyone for the very interesting discussion and links, it's beginning to make much more sense now! I can see an intriguing dual city (ARN & PRG) long weekend break taking shape (I'm in for a mix of status and upgrades but can't afford the money or time for a proper MR, I'll leave that to the experts here).

Looking forwards to the next OH-LGG instalment...
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Thanks to everyone for the very interesting discussion and links, it's beginning to make much more sense now! I can see an intriguing dual city (ARN & PRG) long weekend break taking shape t...
Oh, OH-LGG has gotten himself a follower irl
Old Dec 25, 2016, 3:07 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Thanks to everyone for the very interesting discussion and links, it's beginning to make much more sense now! I can see an intriguing dual city (ARN & PRG) long weekend break taking shape t...
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by intuition
Double post
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:34 am
Original Poster

I just arrived in OSL and today AY uses a new gate in new D pier which looks very nice. I like that wooden floor there. I had to find my way out of D and that was not easy, huge constructions still going on.

I came here on AY659 as a positioning flight to catch AY 658 back to HEL. During the departure procedures in HEL, I started to look when is my next aircraft AY657 leaving from HEL to OSL and there was no 657 It should be around 19:30.
Damn I got scared I've done again something stupid with my bookings like I did with my pre-order. I thought my AY658 is tomorrow and I'm now staying one night in OSL.
But.... this aircraft AY659 is flying back to HEL as AY658. Crew and plane spend 3 hrs here in OSL like I do.

So today my issue was to get 2 bottles of Napue Gin and I made Finnair Pre Order. On Sunday I started to look my shopping cart and I realized my order was made for 28DEC AY658 and I'm flying 27DEC AY658. Shopping cart must finalize 3 days before flight. This is perkele thing and no Napue Gin today.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
So today my issue was to get 2 bottles of Napue Gin and I made Finnair Pre Order. On Sunday I started to look my shopping cart and I realized my order was made for 28DEC AY658 and I'm flying 27DEC AY658. Shopping cart must finalize 3 days before flight. This is perkele thing and no Napue Gin today.
Sounds like your fate is NOT to succeed in having any Napue Gin! *looking elsewhere and whistling for not having anything to do with this in any earlier occasion*
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Sounds like your fate is NOT to succeed in having any Napue Gin! *looking elsewhere and whistling for not having anything to do with this in any earlier occasion*
Yes, You got it! My 3 AY vouchers are waiting for use but no, Napue's are so far away. Again
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
I guess you have to revert to the back-up solution called Alko

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.