Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGG's Platinum hunting 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by ffay005
What do you guys do if the seat next to you is blocked, but someone chooses to sit there anyway? I had that happen on an E90 recently. The GA confirmed that the (exit) seat next to me is empty, but once we get on board, someone changes seats just after the "boarding completed" call and sits next to me.
Nothing you could do about it, but bite your nails and relax.
People are free to change their seats once everyone is onboard and the seat block is a feature that is theoretically applied but can not be really enforced after the "boarding completed" announcement.
Swallow the defeat and better luck next time.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
What do you guys do if the seat next to you is blocked, but someone chooses to sit there anyway? I had that happen on an E90 recently. The GA confirmed that the (exit) seat next to me is empty, but once we get on board, someone changes seats just after the "boarding completed" call and sits next to me.
Chose the aisle seat and have the window seat blocked. Much harder to "sneak in"
Old Oct 29, 2016, 3:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jainzar
But is it desireable to spend less time in air?
Good point!

However, spending less time per AY+ point earned is as important as spending less €/point. These are limited resources we all need to optimise our use of!
Old Oct 29, 2016, 5:44 am

I offload half of my handluggage immediately to nearby seat. Combined with evil gaze and upset-looking-attitude it tends to keep seat empty
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Nothing you could do about it, but bite your nails and relax.
Yeah, that's what I did.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Chose the aisle seat and have the window seat blocked. Much harder to "sneak in"
I always sit in the aisle seat. Probably helps more often than I’ve realised

Originally Posted by reflektia
I offload half of my handluggage immediately to nearby seat. Combined with evil gaze and upset-looking-attitude it tends to keep seat empty
This was a good tip! Thanks, I’ll keep this in mind for tomorrow ^
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Can someone forward the the FAQ for this campaign, i.e., why, how and € (and who's)?

Point being, 76 segments=38 flying days (unless pooling 4 segment days), are these performed solely on weekends which would be feasible and cost-wise, am I mistaken but that is something like minimum 4000-5000€ worth flying+residual costs for getting to the airport etc. -> one could pull 10 I-fare HEL-LHR-HEL trips on BA (back in the good old days these were around 400€ r/t), gaining 1600 TP's ->OWE at the same cost but significantly less flight days. Naturally if most of the segments are part of work, enjoy That said, it would be nice to know little bit more background story but I reckon it can be found somewhere else on this board.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I'm sure LGG will explain it better than me, but his cost getting to the airport is negligent and the fares sum up to less than you estimate.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Oh, for much less than 4-5k. I don't know if LGG wants to share his details, but even with easily found HEL-OUL-HEL for 60 EUR you can do this at about 2k. And that's much less.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
*duplicate*
Old Oct 29, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Can someone forward the the FAQ for this campaign, i.e., why, how and € (and who's)?

Point being, 76 segments=38 flying days (unless pooling 4 segment days)
You could load at least (!) 4 segments to ARN/BMA/TLL/etc per day!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
If we are talking about my Platinum challenge here, none of the 76 flights are part of any work, just pleasure.

Some of these flights are on weekends but mostly on Monday-Friday. I'm warrior without any working time or contracts, so I can fly whenever I want.
Also I'm so lucky that I live in HEL Airport area so I can even walk to airport, no extra costs for that but I do also have solutions for parking car at HEL.

I dont know what is the total cost for all this. I dont know how to count it anyway. Coming trip to SFO is holiday/mass tourism, no mileage running but I'll get few segments.
Main thing here was the great AY deal exARN: 450SEK and 3 flights and with excellent schedules*. @:-) I booked them all immediately.

*Excellent deal and excellent schedule means here AY650ARN-HEL --> AY715HEL-PRG --> AY716PRG-HEL. So there is no hotels or transportation in PRG due to same aircraft return. Like I told some FT'ers, with that cost 450SEK AY pays for me using AY if I use all Platinum benefits like lounges in ARN, HEL and PRG and free drinks on board. But this is their own game, I'm just a small player here. It's all about pricing the tickets.

Problem and big thing to solve is/was hot to get ARN because I need only HEL-ARN one-ways. Later there will D8 positioning flights to ARN because buying AY returns make later problems with ARN-HEL -legs and how to use them. I even used 2 working days to solve this one-way issue.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY LUMO
About that deal, if I read these pricing details correctly, AY gets only 159SEK(64+95) =about17€:

64,00 391,00 Total 455,00

Carrier-Imposed Fee (YR) 95,00 SEK
Passenger Charge (YA) 157,00 SEK
Air Transport Supervision Charge (XU) 12,00 SEK
Passenger Fee (International Transit) (WL) 49,00 SEK
Embarkation Tax (CZ) 78,00 SEK
Yhteensä 391,00 SEK
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
*Excellent deal and excellent schedule means here AY650ARN-HEL --> AY715HEL-PRG --> AY716PRG-HEL. So there is no hotels or transportation in PRG due to same aircraft return. Like I told some FT'ers, with that cost 450SEK AY pays for me using AY if I use all Platinum benefits like lounges in ARN, HEL and PRG and free drinks on board. But this is their own game, I'm just a small player here. It's all about pricing the tickets.
What I find interesting is that the direct turn-around is cheaper than staying PRG. Well with less than 600SEK it is still affordable.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to mention throwaway ticketing for the mass-tourist types (ie those, who actually go to their destination ) and having the PRG-HEL as the first leg of another longhaul/openjaw/whatever.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Jainzar
What I find interesting is that the direct turn-around is cheaper than staying PRG. Well with less than 600SEK it is still affordable.
Not sure but might be that you have to pay more tax to CZ in that case, as for some airports transfer pax have lower departure tax than direct departure.

Too bad I don't need more segments before next year as the price for those is really nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.