Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BRflyer
Will be heading back to Helsinki within a couple of days on the last flight (Departure around 11pm), as will not have much to do around due to check out time, I wander when does check in open for this fight? We thought we should arrive at 8pm, check luggage and stay airside.
Any ideas?
Happy New Year!!
You could ask if your hotel is willing to store your luggage for you until you're ready to leave and maybe have dinner/do something in Helsinki, then pick up the bags and go to the airport. 3hrs at HEL isn't fun, especially if one only has 3rd party lounge access.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by BRflyer
Will be heading back to Helsinki within a couple of days on the last flight (Departure around 11pm), as will not have much to do around due to check out time, I wander when does check in open for this fight? We thought we should arrive at 8pm, check luggage and stay airside.
Any ideas?
Happy New Year!!
KTT is tiny airport and generally the check in (off season even the departures hall) won't be open until 2 hours before departure.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
I seem to remember there were some gold and/or platinum benefits regarding award flight change and/or cancel fees. However I cannot find confirmation on the finnair website and I cannot find again the post where I read that.
Anybody knows if there are exception for this 50 EUR change/cancel fee? I guess flame-free is the right place to ask since I will certainly look stupid after someone answers this
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
The change fee is waived. But since currently all ticket types can be changed at least 48 hours before without change fee this has barely any impact.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:26 pm

Hi everyone, so I'm one of the new lot who did the promotion. I was OW Sapphire with AA but letting that expire and will build up with BAEC in the next couple of years. Home airport: TLV, hoping to move to US West Coast next year. Spend a fair bit of time between TLV / LHR / SEA / LAX. Anyway I have a couple of questions to which I think I should know the answers but...

I see that upon reaching Platinum, I now have a Gold Gift card. Is this designed to gift Finnair Gold (OW Sapphire) to anyone I want? If so, how do I activate it? I couldn't find anything on the website. If not, how is it used?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
You put your QR FF number on the booking as that is the program you have status with. Consequence is that you will also acquire points on QR, not on Finnair Plus

Adding the Finnair Plus Basic number would not make you entitled to ANY perk since you have no Silver, Gold, Platinum or Lumo status under that FP number
I thought that might be the case, unfortunate as it is for me. I'll have to decide if a free bag and lounge access on cheap Light tickets is worth it as going forward I think it'll be easier for me to maintain status on AY rather than QR.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by topperdoggle
I see that upon reaching Platinum, I now have a Gold Gift card. Is this designed to gift Finnair Gold (OW Sapphire) to anyone I want? If so, how do I activate it? I couldn't find anything on the website. If not, how is it used?
I don't think you have looked very thoroughly then. It is literally right there, the "Finnair platinum benefits" in the section describing membership related perks.

https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/finnai...-plus-platinum

It has also been discussed very recently here on FT in numerous threads, so you can also find it for example here:
Gold Nomination From Plat

Last edited by intuition; Dec 28, 2021 at 4:30 am
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:52 pm

Platinum not Showing as OW Emerald with other Airlines

Looked through the forum and saw this mentioned a few times over the years but couldn't see a solution.

After buying points in the promo last week and with my account now showing Platinum (after a lot of glitches and multiple messages to Customer Services), I've noticed that entering my Platinum number when doing dummy bookings with AA and BA fail to give me any Emerald benefits (such as free seat assignments)....it's as if my status doesn't exist (not even Sapphire benefits appear). I also have BA Sapphire and dummy bookings using my BA FF number give me the correct benefits.

I'm wondering if there's a problem with my account or there's a lag between Finnair regsitering me as Platinum and the status getting updated accross Oneworld carriers. I already messaged Platinum whatsapp and they said I'm showing Platinum but they didn't really answer the question regarding how my status looks "outside" of Finnair.

Anyone have any feedback before I speak with Customer Services again? Thx in advance.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 1:03 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
There has been occasional reports about finnair owe not showing up at other ffp programs sometimes and the reason is unclear.
mikeecix likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by mikeecix
Looked through the forum and saw this mentioned a few times over the years but couldn't see a solution.

After buying points in the promo last week...I've noticed that entering my Platinum number when doing dummy bookings with AA and BA fail to give me any Emerald benefits (such as free seat assignments)....it's as if my status doesn't exist (not even Sapphire benefits appear). I also have BA Sapphire and dummy bookings using my BA FF number give me the correct benefits.
I can give a personal experience anecdote. I also bought in and had the same experience for about 4 days. Then, on a whim I checked again and now AA recognizes my status. So insofar as my experience is canon, that could give you some hope things will update on their own.

There's some discussion on the boards from a few years back where a supposed member who did consulting work for the big GDS firms had insight that Sabre and Amadeus batch process member info changes several times a month and that it's not dynamic. Assuming that's true, it could explain why AA takes a bit while BA seems to see it immediately.
r2d2, mikeecix and Venezuela-Miami like this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by mikeecix
I already messaged Platinum whatsapp
Haven't tried my newly minted AY+ Plat anywhere yet so can comment at the moment, but I did read many data points with the initial problems you had for the status to set correctly.

In my case I bought the miles on Dec 24th and everything went smooth, even if I was really hoping for a reported glitch case of outright receiving the 150K tier points (hence plat. status) with the 200K award points (plus the bonus, for a total of 400K), I can't confirm (the person who gave the data point didn't supported with images) but in case that was real, that was a great glitch to have.

Regarding the Platinum Whatsapp, where can I find that number? is in the web page? or in case they gave it to you with your customer service interactions I really appreciate if you can DM it to me.
mikeecix likes this.

Last edited by Venezuela-Miami; Dec 30, 2021 at 7:09 am Reason: minor typos
Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: Finnair Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Former Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by Ivstan14
I can give a personal experience anecdote. I also bought in and had the same experience for about 4 days. Then, on a whim I checked again and now AA recognizes my status. So insofar as my experience is canon, that could give you some hope things will update on their own.

There's some discussion on the boards from a few years back where a supposed member who did consulting work for the big GDS firms had insight that Sabre and Amadeus batch process member info changes several times a month and that it's not dynamic. Assuming that's true, it could explain why AA takes a bit while BA seems to see it immediately.
My new AY Gold status took about 3 days to recognize (updated on a Saturday night which I recall seeing a different program also syncs at that time). I showed my AY card at check-in and had the agent note that I had my card with me - still got charged for the bag but was able to get a refund for it several days later. Admirals club was easy and I simply showed my AY card.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:18 am

Hi all and happy new year
I am about to make a booking this summer on AA ticket stock - operated by AY in business class (I)
I understand that AY charges for pre assigned seats also in Business. I've read somewhere that the price is EUR30 for the middle seats? I am flying HEL-DFW and LAX-HEL.
Is that still the going price?

Thanks
HJ
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ivstan14

Datapont from my side - today my Emerald status was recognised on AA.com as it allowed me to select Main Cabin Extra seats for free. From showing as Platinum on Finnair and it being registered on AA.com (and other OW Airlines?) took approx 5 days. Not sure if this was affected by the holiday season though.

Last edited by mikeecix; Jan 2, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
Hi all and happy new year
I am about to make a booking this summer on AA ticket stock - operated by AY in business class (I)
I understand that AY charges for pre assigned seats also in Business. I've read somewhere that the price is EUR30 for the middle seats? I am flying HEL-DFW and LAX-HEL.
Is that still the going price?

Thanks
HJ
Business Classic and Business Flex tickets would have free seat selection on AY, while Business Light does not include free seat selection (no idea about the prices though). Not sure if AA has an unbundled J ticket concept or not, but if not, I'd expect that you'll be able to book sets for free (especially if you have OWS or OWE status w/ AA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.