Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Andaman
Hi!
In early January the sun will go down before 4PM and you need to prepare for freezing temperatures, so not the best time for sights. It sounds you'll probably have around 4-5h to kill, I would recommend a dinner and some indoor fun. There's a big Jumbo mall & Flamingo spa 4km from the airport, easy taxi ride. https://www.flamingospa.fi/en/

If you prefer to come to the city, the comfy train ride takes 30min. If you arrive between Jan 4-8 there's Lux Helsinki going on, a light art festival in the city center. That's fun, unless it's too cold. https://www.luxhelsinki.fi/en

The same airport train takes you to an other huge mall, the new Tripla, one station (Pasila) before the city. Their speciality is indoor surfing, in tropical temperatures https://surfhousehelsinki.com/en/

The lockers at the airport shoudn't be any problem, perhaps someone else knows the details.
Those are great suggestions, thanks. Lux Helsinki looks very promising as we will be there on the 5th.
Spending most time in The Netherlands where the sun will set early too. Not expecting much daylight.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Since you are coming from LHR, a clean airport, you will pour straight into the non-Schengen area where you can use the lounge and then follow signs to immigration and baggage claim.

See this thread on HEL transit:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...ly-simple.html
Thanks, was hoping this would be the case, so after landing from LHR I can go to the lounge first, ask them if they can store our hand luggage or if there are lockers anywhere else, and then to immigration/baggage claim.

Globalist
SPBanker likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Have to stress what Andaman said. Jan is freezing cold, be prepared!
Try Glögi if you have a chance should warm you up!
Globalist likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by Globalist
Those are great suggestions, thanks. Lux Helsinki looks very promising as we will be there on the 5th.
Spending most time in The Netherlands where the sun will set early too. Not expecting much daylight.
Globalist
If local culture and architecture is your thing, I recommend to check the new sight in Helsinki, the central library Oodi, a few minutes walk from the central station. Impressive architecture and a popular meeting place. The Lux Helsinki most probably will have something going on around this area. The library is open till 8PM on Sundays, cafe shop on the 3rd floor. https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/h..._2019/10941276
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Andaman
If local culture and architecture is your thing, I recommend to check the new sight in Helsinki, the central library Oodi, a few minutes walk from the central station. Impressive architecture and a popular meeting place. The Lux Helsinki most probably will have something going on around this area. The library is open till 8PM on Sundays, cafe shop on the 3rd floor. https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/h..._2019/10941276
As my partner is an architect I have immediately added it to my list.
amazing, thanks!

we will dress warm..

Globalist
Andaman and remymartin like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Clydez
Have to stress what Andaman said. Jan is freezing cold, be prepared!
Try Glögi if you have a chance should warm you up!
Going into Diabetic shock just reading the description, but heck, we will try

Globalist
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Going into Diabetic shock just reading the description, but heck, we will try

Globalist
Don't forget to add alcohol in it. XD
Globalist, cistavoda and Superrman like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Thanks, was hoping this would be the case, so after landing from LHR I can go to the lounge first, ask them if they can store our hand luggage or if there are lockers anywhere else, and then to immigration/baggage claim.

Globalist
My experience is that asking for having a luggage stored usually leads to a No for security reasons.. At HEL, you will probably be asked to use landside lockers. However, using lockers and not asking generally works fine.
Please do not use sauna lockers as there are just 3 for sauna visitors. Thanks and enjoy your layover!
Globalist likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by on22cz
My experience is that asking for having a luggage stored usually leads to a No for security reasons.. At HEL, you will probably be asked to use landside lockers. However, using lockers and not asking generally works fine.
Please do not use sauna lockers as there are just 3 for sauna visitors. Thanks and enjoy your layover!
This was before the Premium Wing opened, but I’ve actually had an agent at the non-Schengen business lounge affirmatively say I could store luggage in the lockers there while I went into town. I haven’t had a problem storing luggage in the lounge lockers on a long layover on other occasions.
Globalist likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:05 am

Fast track to Finnair Platinum

I read an interesting article today an HS about frequent flyer program and I decided get the Platinum status as fast as possible. I decided to book some flights on J- class; ARN-LHR-MIA-LHR-ARN, DEL-HEL-JFK- HEL-DEL, DEL-HEL-DEL. Also I could get 40 000 basic points from a family member, which I would exchange into tier points.I could also exchange 30 000 my basic points into tier points, is this possible and is this enought for Platinum status? Thank you for helping me!
cistavoda likes this.

Last edited by Flyingfin; Nov 9, 2019 at 11:27 am
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingfin
I read an interesting article today an HS about frequent flyer program and I decided get the Platinum status as fast as possible. I decided to book some flights on J- class; ARN-LHR-MIA-LHR-ARN, DEL-HEL-JFK- HEL-DEL, DEL-HEL-DEL. Also I could get 40 000 basic points from a family member, which I would exchange into tier points.I could also exchange 30 000 my basic points into tier points, is this possible and is this enought for Platinum status? Thank you for helping me!
How is your ARN-LHR-MIA-LHR-ARN booked? Is it AY codes? (I’m assuming it’s BA/AA metal.)

Your six other flights (which I’m assuming are AY metal and AY-coded) will earn 96,000 TP (maybe a little bit more depending on when you hit Silver and Gold). You’d also earn 96,000+ points, so you’d have 166,000+ points with your other 70,000 points. You can exchange points for TP in increments of 5000 TP/15000 points, so with 166000+ points, you could exchange for at least 55,000 TP. So really, I guess it doesn’t matter how your MIA itinerary is booked/coded.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:53 pm

Thank you for your reply! I decided to take last flights TLL-HEL-CAN-HEL-TLL in J-class in order to receive good amount of points.Do you think this is a good idea?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingfin
Thank you for your reply! I decided to take last flights TLL-HEL-CAN-HEL-TLL in J-class in order to receive good amount of points.Do you think this is a good idea?
All long haul AY-metal and AY-coded flights earn 16,000 points in J, no matter the destination.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:28 am

Does the silver benefits (priority security & check in) apply to non status passangers traveling with the same booking?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Jamanz
Does the silver benefits (priority security & check in) apply to non status passangers traveling with the same booking?
Check-in yes, prio security no. Only Gold and above members get guests and only at HEL.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
AY Gold, AY Silver and two basic members. Will everyone be allowed through priority security at HEL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.