Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Why points accrual should follow calculated distance from HEL ?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
from own search I can see AY's own Platinums can bring 1 guest +family members to business lounge.

I'm OW Emerald flying thru HEL with wife + 3 kids (age 9, 7, 6). Do they extend the "bring children" policy to Emerald as well? or are they very strict. Not trying to game the system, just want to know if it is worthwhile to try if access is often granted to OW emeralds as well. I both the schengen and non-schengen lounge, as i am doing hkg-hel-cph.

I'm happy enough without the lounge, just going to time arrival to airport accordingly
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
All AY long haul destinations are in 8000 points accrual zone.
Just to cross check with @keitherson link as well.
STR-HEL-CAN roundtrip will get 37,246 (according to wheretocredit) or 40K AY+ miles?
Also, any AY+ sweetspots worth exploring?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by fakecd
Do they extend the "bring children" policy to Emerald as well? or are they very strict.
AY+ Elites only, if you have one child with you they might let it slide but you'll have a hard time getting in three. Please report back how it went.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by terbangalways
STR-HEL-CAN roundtrip will get 37,246 (according to wheretocredit) or 40K AY+ miles?
I assume you're flying business class Without status, these flights will earn you 4k+16k = 20k. Roundtrip 40 000 AY+ points. You will earn Silver in the process, and enough points for a European return award (30k).

AY Platinum would earn 50k with these flights, enough for a one-way longhaul upgrade.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
8000 points seem to be a very fair and surprisingly close approximation for all destinations.
It just means we need to fly to JFK and DEL more

Originally Posted by terbangalways
AY+ uses KM so you cannot compare or use wheretocredit and AY+ uses zones/charts for AY metal
terbangalways likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:48 am

Talking

Originally Posted by ffay005
I assume you're flying business class Without status, these flights will earn you 4k+16k = 20k. Roundtrip 40 000 AY+ points. You will earn Silver in the process, and enough points for a European return award (30k).

AY Platinum would earn 50k with these flights, enough for a one-way longhaul upgrade.
Yes, J for the price of Y
If I'd known 50k is good for an upgrade, I would have do another of this RT campaign fare...
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Hello,

Just made it to AY Plat for the first time and tracking period ends at the end of this month. I can see that I can give 1 gold gift already now (otherwise expires in 25 days). Is it possible to do it online or should I contact CS ?
Steve_Hun and Clydez like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lento
Hello,

Just made it to AY Plat for the first time and tracking period ends at the end of this month. I can see that I can give 1 gold gift already now (otherwise expires in 25 days). Is it possible to do it online or should I contact CS ?
It can be done on finnairshop.com!
lento likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lento
Hello,

Easily done online, you just need the recipient's AY+ number. You probably have a similar situation with new upgrade vouchers that you're in a hurry to use before they expire, you can also give those to someone online as long as you have their name and flight booking reference. You just need to be logged in.
lento likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Hi all,

In early January my partner and I will be travelling from LHR via HEL to SIN on AY in C.
We land at 3pm and our onward flight is at midnight.

A perfect opportunity to venture into Helsinki a it and see the city center but its a bit of a drag to carry my hand luggage around for 6 hours outside in town.

What are my options? If arrivals and departures is mixed, can I get to the platinum wing and still leave the airport? Does the platinum wing have lockers to put hand carry?

Or is there a bag storage available which is reasonably priced elsewhere in the airport?

Any suggestions what to do in Helsinki on a cold January afternoon/early evening in Jan? We plan to leave town at 9pm back to the airport.

Kind regards,
Globalist
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
How strict is AY with the weight limit of carry on luggage for an intra-Europe flight (PRG-HEL)?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
How strict is AY with the weight limit of carry on luggage for an intra-Europe flight (PRG-HEL)?
If it doesn’t look bulky, you’ll be fine. If you can avoid visiting the check in desk, even better, because if they weigh it (which is unlikely), that’s where they’ll do it.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by Globalist
Hi all,

In early January my partner and I will be travelling from LHR via HEL to SIN on AY in C.
We land at 3pm and our onward flight is at midnight.

A perfect opportunity to venture into Helsinki a it and see the city center but its a bit of a drag to carry my hand luggage around for 6 hours outside in town.

What are my options? If arrivals and departures is mixed, can I get to the platinum wing and still leave the airport? Does the platinum wing have lockers to put hand carry?

Or is there a bag storage available which is reasonably priced elsewhere in the airport?

Any suggestions what to do in Helsinki on a cold January afternoon/early evening in Jan? We plan to leave town at 9pm back to the airport.

Kind regards,
Globalist
Hi!
In early January the sun will go down before 4PM and you need to prepare for freezing temperatures, so not the best time for sights. It sounds you'll probably have around 4-5h to kill, I would recommend a dinner and some indoor fun. There's a big Jumbo mall & Flamingo spa 4km from the airport, easy taxi ride. https://www.flamingospa.fi/en/

If you prefer to come to the city, the comfy train ride takes 30min. If you arrive between Jan 4-8 there's Lux Helsinki going on, a light art festival in the city center. That's fun, unless it's too cold. https://www.luxhelsinki.fi/en

The same airport train takes you to an other huge mall, the new Tripla, one station (Pasila) before the city. Their speciality is indoor surfing, in tropical temperatures https://surfhousehelsinki.com/en/

The lockers at the airport shoudn't be any problem, perhaps someone else knows the details.
Globalist likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Globalist
If arrivals and departures is mixed, can I get to the platinum wing and still leave the airport?
Since you are coming from LHR, a clean airport, you will pour straight into the non-Schengen area where you can use the lounge and then follow signs to immigration and baggage claim.

See this thread on HEL transit:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finn...ly-simple.html
Globalist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.