Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Did you check the AY MMB? Sometimes it lists alternative booking references? Or ask for it on chat.
niksal likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by intuition
Did you check the AY MMB? Sometimes it lists alternative booking references? Or ask for it on chat.
AY MMB gives nothing. Is the chat still open at this time of the day?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by niksal

AY MMB gives nothing. Is the chat still open at this time of the day?
AFAIK, it’s 24/7 now. But serves only in English at odd hours.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Hi All,

I am an AA EP (O/W Emerald) and my son, daughter and wife are each AA PLTs (all O/W Sapphire), traveling on AY YYZ-HEL; HEL-SIN, HKG-YYZ in business class. We have 2.5 days in HEL, and wanted to change flights to decrease time in HEL to spend more time in SIN and HKG. I know that I probably don't have a leg to stand on and it is unlikely, but would there be a way to get AY to either waive or decrease the change fee per person which I was told was $300 USD/person. I see that the same fare buckets still exist, but change fee is high. Again, if no way to do it, I understand and realize not entitled to anything, but just wondered if anyone had a strategy to get change fees waived or reduced. Thank you in advance!

Safe Travels
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Hi All,

I am an AA EP (O/W Emerald) and my son, daughter and wife are each AA PLTs (all O/W Sapphire), traveling on AY YYZ-HEL; HEL-SIN, HKG-YYZ in business class. We have 2.5 days in HEL, and wanted to change flights to decrease time in HEL to spend more time in SIN and HKG. I know that I probably don't have a leg to stand on and it is unlikely, but would there be a way to get AY to either waive or decrease the change fee per person which I was told was $300 USD/person. I see that the same fare buckets still exist, but change fee is high. Again, if no way to do it, I understand and realize not entitled to anything, but just wondered if anyone had a strategy to get change fees waived or reduced. Thank you in advance!

Safe Travels
IMO even if you all would be AY Plat (OW Emerald), it would not matter since goodwill and AY do not mix if you want to change your flights (and they don't need to).
GTITAN likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Just stay in Helsinki! Beats Singapore and Hongkong easily!
GTITAN and FFlash like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Has AY restarted its seasonal service to YYZ?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by deissi
Has AY restarted its seasonal service to YYZ?
No the first flight is a BA code share to LHR with connection to AY to HEL. Fares are great on AY in BC to Asia from YYZ.

Safe Travels
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Yeah, unless there is a schedule change, you're out of luck here. And with AY, schedule changes are not a frequent occurence. (When I book AA far out, I can be almost certain that there will be a schedule change at some point, but AY's schedules hardly change year after year.)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
You would have a chance if you were AY Lumo. And even in that case you'd need a bit of luck. As this is not an option for you, you can also try check-in staff, but chances are slim-to-none anyway.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Hi everyone,

Just booked some AY flights in J for later this year through Amex (to take advantage of a cashback offer). When I plug the booking reference into the Finnair website, allocated seats are shown but there's no option to change them. Is that because I booked through a travel agent, or will I be able to select them online at a later stage? Thanks in advance for any help - I tried a search but didn't come up with anything!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Simonmiller
Hi everyone,

Just booked some AY flights in J for later this year through Amex (to take advantage of a cashback offer). When I plug the booking reference into the Finnair website, allocated seats are shown but there's no option to change them. Is that because I booked through a travel agent, or will I be able to select them online at a later stage? Thanks in advance for any help - I tried a search but didn't come up with anything!
If the ticket has not been issued yet, you can't change seats. So you will be able to do it in 24 hours time of the booking.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by lkrt
If the ticket has not been issued yet, you can't change seats. So you will be able to do it in 24 hours time of the booking.
Ah - great. Thanks so much for coming back so quickly!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
WHY on earth does Finnair not allow me to book ARN-HEL-KUO-HEL-AMS?
Just a simple open jaw trip to Kuopio.....
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
WHY on earth does Finnair not allow me to book ARN-HEL-KUO-HEL-AMS?
Just a simple open jaw trip to Kuopio.....
AY fare rules (RVA2SE fare):
OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
-TO FORM SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAWS.
MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN
MILEAGE OF THE SHORTEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT.
According to Great Circle Mapper, ARN-KUO is 402 miles whereas ARN-AMS is 718 miles. This is probably the problem. It's possible to book, say, GOT-HEL-KUO-HEL-AMS because GOT-KUO is greater than GOT-AMS. For ARN-HEL-KUO-HEL-AMS, you probably have to book one-way tickets.
ffay005 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.