Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:36 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I have flown 18 short-flights this year on AY in Y. I have received the drink and newspaper always. Last year I flew two long-hauls in Y, was treated very well. (So well that the usual Nordic thinking started: "Will these complete strangers think that I think I am better than them?!?")
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Is this benefit ever extended to OW Emerald members of other airlines? AA has a similar benefit for its EXPs in Y and there are reports of other OWEs being offered free drinks and snacks there.

I have a morning ARN-BGO flight coming up in a few days, so I'm not sure I will want an alcoholic drink at that time anyway, but just curious.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Stripe
Is this benefit ever extended to OW Emerald members of other airlines? AA has a similar benefit for its EXPs in Y and there are reports of other OWEs being offered free drinks and snacks there.
As reported in this thread, YES OWE do get this perk as well 👍👍
It works fairly well on AY
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
HEL-CPH proactively was offered drink and newspapers.
CPH-HEL operated by Norra, nothing. Did not bothered to ask,water was fine for me.Maybe it is not valid in Norra flights.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Jaenks
HEL-CPH proactively was offered drink and newspapers.
CPH-HEL operated by Norra, nothing. Did not bothered to ask,water was fine for me.Maybe it is not valid in Norra flights.
I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that it is working even on Norra ATR flights, drinks that is as they don't have newspapers available on ATRs. On my recent flight to Visby on outbound leg I was proactively offered free drinks and the NF bottles were presented in a very stylish way, the only downside was that they don't carry proper glasses on ATRs. On return flight it worked fine when I mentioned having a plat card, though on return NFs were not cold, and the FA was very apologetic saying that they didn't get dry ice at HEL, which is a sign of processes not working at LSG, either.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Jaenks
CPH-HEL operated by Norra,
Norra on CPH -route? Was it extra AY4668 -flight?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
Is this benefit ever extended to OW Emerald members of other airlines?
On couple of previous CX flights (PEK-HKG, HKG-BKK and BKK-SIN) got offered a bottle of water, pillows and a blanket upon boarding and alcoholic drinks were also available. Same treatment for another AY Plat sitting next to me on the last leg. Both of us were also upgraded to Y+ on that flight.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Today I was brought the papers in an odd way again. The FA walked to my row, looked on both sides of the aisle and askingly said my surname – quite loudly. After saying "Yes?" she said "Today's papers, here you go!". When serving my drinks another FA said "You were Plat right?" and then proceeded to asking after my travel companion's order "Is she travelling with you?" which was a bit awkward. Well, anyway I found the service better than my last time when the status wasn't acknowledged at all.

OTOH I got priority security for the both of us by asking at CPH, they were nice there!
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by SPBanker
I have flown 18 short-flights this year on AY in Y. I have received the drink and newspaper always. Last year I flew two long-hauls in Y, was treated very well. (So well that the usual Nordic thinking started: "Will these complete strangers think that I think I am better than them?!?")
This is always funny. Eg last hkg-hel I had jeans, 2 week unshaven beard, and generally looked like hell (it was rather rough work trip). Purser brought me champagne and chatted several times and other cc asked many times if I want something. Meanwhile there were many businessmen sitting nearby with suits and they got same treatment as all other economy passengers
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Norra on CPH -route? Was it extra AY4668 -flight?
Yes,flight was AY4668.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by lkrt
"Is she travelling with you?" which was a bit awkward.
It's only awkaward if you answer "I wish she were" - or conversly you deny it, even though she does travel with you.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Talking

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
It's only awkaward if you answer "I wish she were" - or conversly you deny it, even though she does travel with you.
Or if you quickly say "HELL NO"
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Question: should the newspaper be offered proactively? It seems it depends very much on the crew? From Oslo today (Finnair, not Norra) the crew was completely lost about the plat benefits. A plat in front of me had to repeat many times that the ay plus card he gave (not a credit card) was only to prove his status so he could get his beer for free. "Ah yes, I thought you wanted a discount". A plat behind me asked for a newspaper. "Right, I will have to go and check what we have".

Some times these things work perfectly, but roughly half of the time crew couldn't care less it seems.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Huh. For me it works every time (albeit I sleep through half of my flights: the early morning ones). Only once did I have to ask for a newspaper as the attendant had missed my status (Norra flight) but she immediately believed me and was apologetic. And what I like is that the recognition is usually in a big smile and an especially sunny greeting.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
Huh. For me it works every time (albeit I sleep through half of my flights: the early morning ones). Only once did I have to ask for a newspaper as the attendant had missed my status (Norra flight) but she immediately believed me and was apologetic. And what I like is that the recognition is usually in a big smile and an especially sunny greeting.
Do we use the same airline? My experiences so far have been completely different. People here speak about the recognition and I have basically never experienced anything special. Well, once I was offered newspapers in Norra flight without asking.

I usually fly HEL-OSL-HEL every week and always I have to ask newspapers and that happens when they start to serve drinks. They never come to offer newspapers for example the same time they serve those in J.

And what comes to the drinks, they never say anything speciall but just take my order and then they just get me the drink without asking any money. I usually ask my newspaper at the same time. No recognition, nothing but just drink to me. Newspapers seems to be available only by asking.

Is it only me and OSL -flights where it happens like I wrote?

Last edited by Rikiz81; Aug 17, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.