Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
My last version of recognition on Noora, when FA asked what I would like to have, she turned back with hesitation "platinum card holder?" where I say Yes. She looks few seconds in hesitation, goes to the back of the bus (maybe to check manifest) with no further questions. I must look too much like a black leather bikey
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Unlike AA, they never seem to proactively offer free drinks. So I just order and hand over the AY+DC co-branded card. Sometimes they refuse the card saying I don't have to pay; other times, they look at the card as if to charge it, and then figure it out.

Either way, it has worked consistently for me - unlike with AA.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
My experiences is that only once they have actually mentioned actively the free drinks but nowadays I just order what I want and they never ask any payment (and I don't offer if I didn't order some snacks). If I have ordered some snacks as well then some might comment at that moment that the drink is complimentary ("I have to charge these but the drink is complimentary").

Only one time I have had to pay for the drink and it was when I ordered two at the same time for myself - I was politely told that the limit is one so they will charge the cheaper one.

Once there was some mixup (or she forgot where the Platinums were seated) and she was proceeding to go for payment but when I flashed the Platinum card then she quickly recovered, apologized and charged only the snacks.

This is one of the benefits which really works consistently for me. But I would like to see the seat blocking as official and working benefit as well.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:41 am

I think that making the seat block official would only create problems with no real benefits.

There will always be corner-cases where the seat block is overridden, either due to very high occupancy rate, or just because of manual desk check-in "mistake".

Besides, it would not increase the chance of neighbor seat block per se, and the benefit could still be taken away at will.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
I've only experienced two misses on short haul flights so far, wrt free drink. Nocomplaints. Although I sleep through the morning flights = half of all my travels.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I think that making the seat block official would only create problems with no real benefits.

There will always be corner-cases where the seat block is overridden, either due to very high occupancy rate, or just because of manual desk check-in "mistake".

Besides, it would not increase the chance of neighbor seat block per se, and the benefit could still be taken away at will.
Fair point, maybe I would be satisfied if the current method would work a bit more consistent and not something you would need to guess if it is working or not.

Sometimes I have booked a seat where the next one is free. Closer to the departure, I often notice that my free next seat has been occupied while there are plenty of seats available still. And sometimes still onboard, not a full flight but of course there is someone next to me.

I was long time thinking that they don't actually block anything but then I noticed in one long-haul flight right after the "Boarding completed" announcement that in ExpertFlyer the free seat next to me turned into blocked. So, maybe they actually block these.

I can fully understand that for operational reasons they can take the seats what they need but when there is no reason then it could still work a little bit better.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I usually just take champagne so I just started to wonder... do they count gin & tonic as one or two drinks?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Depends how you order it. The Finnish way "gintonic" or the British way "gin and tonic". In the latter case it's clearly 2 drinks
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
AY should add free Skybistro food for Plats, like AA and UA do for their top tier members and how SK does for Pandion.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:31 am

I much prefer the mostly consistent AY system where you get one drink for free, than the inconsistent AA system, where you can pick a free drink or a free snack, but only depending on the mood of the cabin personnel.

I've had 5 domestic AA flights this year and it's been a pretty terrible track record:
1) Normal service because AA did not update my status from OWS to OWE (AA).
2) Asked if I was Mr Courmisch and proactively offered a free drink or snack (ex-US).
3) Normal service (ex-US).
3) Pilot forbade any service due to turbulence (ex-US).
4) Normal service (AA).

Paint me unimpressed.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I much prefer the mostly consistent AY system where you get one drink for free, than the inconsistent AA system, where you can pick a free drink or a free snack, but only depending on the mood of the cabin personnel.

I've had 5 domestic AA flights this year and it's been a pretty terrible track record:
1) Normal service because AA did not update my status from OWS to OWE (AA).
2) Asked if I was Mr Courmisch and proactively offered a free drink or snack (ex-US).
3) Normal service (ex-US).
3) Pilot forbade any service due to turbulence (ex-US).
4) Normal service (AA).

Paint me unimpressed.
US crews either make or break your flight…

Typical US pilots who turn on the seatbelt sign because of the slightest chop.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I have a very recent, somewhat mixed experience w/ AA.

On my last flight with them (MIA-LHR) during the first round of drink service I've asked the guy what are the options available, and he said I can ask for pretty much anything. Ended up with a "conservative" choice and asked for a red wine.

During the second round I've asked for two bloody marys. Then he says spirits are chargeable, so it would be 8$. I say fine and give him my credit card, for which he replied: never mind, it is on the house...

The reason why it is a mixed experience is, while it was nice to get a free drink (though I'm only OWS), the guy had a somewhat "military" approach to service, almost being too efficient. He did not showcase the usual (somewhat fake) high degree of American customer service at all... Kind of made me wanna apologise for asking for a drink

Ps. A flight earlier, on a short-haul route on the other hand I’ve experience the best AA crew I’ve met to date. They were really nice, efficient and even enjoyed some unorthodox, quite funny announcements. Not to mention, managed to get the number of one of the FA Too bad AA is not flying to HEL anymore, so maybe I'll have to book a few flights to MIA
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue

And who is the Aussie mentioned, please? Glad to hear!
If you'd like to get to know her, you can read her latest thread, under her newest alter ego.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Fascinating.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
[QUOTE=Courmisch;27370029]I much prefer the mostly consistent AY system where you get one drink for free, than the inconsistent AA system, where you can pick a free drink or a free snack, but only depending on the mood of the cabin personnel.

QUOTE]

I oppose. Definetely I would like to have a snack as a (consistent) alternative for a drink. Free drink is practically nothing for me since I do not use alcoholic drinks. Blueberry juice, snack, and coffee...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.