FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:52 am
miikka

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I think that making the seat block official would only create problems with no real benefits.

There will always be corner-cases where the seat block is overridden, either due to very high occupancy rate, or just because of manual desk check-in "mistake".

Besides, it would not increase the chance of neighbor seat block per se, and the benefit could still be taken away at will.
Fair point, maybe I would be satisfied if the current method would work a bit more consistent and not something you would need to guess if it is working or not.

Sometimes I have booked a seat where the next one is free. Closer to the departure, I often notice that my free next seat has been occupied while there are plenty of seats available still. And sometimes still onboard, not a full flight but of course there is someone next to me.

I was long time thinking that they don't actually block anything but then I noticed in one long-haul flight right after the "Boarding completed" announcement that in ExpertFlyer the free seat next to me turned into blocked. So, maybe they actually block these.

I can fully understand that for operational reasons they can take the seats what they need but when there is no reason then it could still work a little bit better.