Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair to introduce Y+ ("comfort")

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:57 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
The pricing seems very cheap indeed, if, and only if, the +whatever isn't on top of the most expensive Y fare(s), which should, in my opinion, all automatically book into Y+ (Y,B..etc)
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:58 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
That's less than what they charge for exit row seats?!
My thought exactly...this sounds too good to be true..let's wait and see the full picture as we clearly do not have it yet from these tuned press releases.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
Reasonably priced cash upgrades in SH would be a welcome addition IMO, as long as they'd give J points/miles etc. (à la BA) ^
That would be good for those who just want better service and meals but do not care about flexibility, as finnair J is the most redicilously priced products in europe

Buuuuuuuuut, I would not hold my breath on finnair implementing a positive change
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by kauppias
as for the future if its a positioning flight in europe I might as well take a low cost carrier and use priority pass and lose the 500-1000 eqm then pay 3x the fare and still have to buy my own drinks etc... BA allready provides service and so does LH, even AB offers more for less... I might even find myself trying DY though I might have to wear a disguise
I have booked my first DY flight. Was going to book AY and upgrade with points, but I got curious... Since everyone is taking DY and some are raving about them... Not sure how long they are going to stay in business though...

Finnair C seems to stay as good as it is or improve. ^ Not so for Y

Worried about future upgrades also...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:43 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
That's less than what they charge for exit row seats?!
And how many of those do you think they are selling? Exit row seat selection price is an imaginary price to make us believe we have gotten a valuable perk.

Actually, this is the pricing intervall I was thinking they would go for.
Compare to the current comfort class (J seating on leisure flights) IIRC it is 200€ and then you get a lot more than +4" pitch. IMHO we should see this as jst a revamp of that leisure flight comfort class.

And this pricing strategy is also why I don't think it will affect anything else in the cabin. It will be sold as an fixed price addon, just like "VALUE" is sold today. The exact same fare class but for those who are willing to pay a little more they will offer a bit more.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by intuition
And how many of those do you think they are selling? Exit row seat selection price is an imaginary price to make us believe we have gotten a valuable perk.
I don't have enough datapoints, but I have sat next to someone who'd paid for exit row on more than one occasion.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:49 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, I have zero datapoints so you are probably right. They do sell some. From a marketing point of view though, it is a fake-price set to create precieved value.

OTOH, the comfort zone in Y is to be sold in large volumes. Price will be set by supply and demand, more or less. In my mind, that will be in the 50-100€ range.

The leisure comfort class (with 3-meal service and J seats) sold at 200€. They tried to raise the price to 250, but had to back paddle and lower it again.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
I don't have enough datapoints, but I have sat next to someone who'd paid for exit row on more than one occasion.
Me too. The people sitting in 41A have not been too happy about paying for the door taking up their paid extra space.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I think on the LH there have been many who purchase the exit row... on a BKK flight many moons ago there was a german gentleman who was quite mad as he could not fit into the exit row seat due to size and he was quite sure that he had bought a wider seat not a exit row

on the short haul trips I doubt most would want to pay extra for a exit row.

if AY wanted extra inncome a AUP (airport upgrade for those not BA inclined) system would being in some extra cash...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: AY+
I believe the changes are positive for L/H: perhaps a real amenity kit in J and the new Economy Comfort that I'm sure it has it's public. Once I read that the most profitable cabin in airlines it's often the Economy Extra, as it costs quite much more than Economy and it just brings the operating costs a bit up. BA's World Traveler Plus is a good example of that, price is much higher and the perks not that impressive.

For the S/H the story is different, service level in Y too similar to SK. But somehow SK appears to have cheaper fares than AY, at least on the routes that I take normally. OTOH, from the release it's not clear whether they will maintain or not the meal in the longest short haul flights (Madrid takes about 4 hours). Currently they offer a salad or a sandwich and two rounds of drinks in Y. And what will happen with the pre-ordered meals in European flights? Will be those part of the new Sky Bistro?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
SH Y on Finnair is quite expensive indeed... If only fare prices followed the same trend as the level of service.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:33 am

According to newsletter, AY gold members get 50% discount to comfort class and for platinum members it is free of charge.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:47 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Seems decent enough. Waiting for similar perks for plats in the front cabin...
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Finnair to introduce Y+ ("comfort"), removing complimentary service in Y

Is this benefit extended to OW equivalents or AY elites only?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
Is this benefit extended to OW equivalents or AY elites only?
The newsletter talks about Finnair Plus Gold and Platinum only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.