Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair to introduce Y+ ("comfort")

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:53 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Originally Posted by haa
... OH-LTS (330) ... row 21 bulkhead seats had massive amounts of leg room.
Maybe the bulkhead row 21 leg space is different for planes with and without the "J minicabin"?

I flew OH-LTP (330) a few days after Xmas and row 21 had the bulkhead pretty close to the seats, not enough to keep legs completely straight for taller people.

LTS : 7 J rows, no J minicabin : row 21 lots of space
LTP : 10 J rows, with J minicabin : row 21 much less space

The official AY seat map graphics seem to match this.

Happily I kept my expectations low and didn't push my luck by booking row 21... It seems that only rows 22-25 and exit rows are reliably good seats in those planes for booking long in advance.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Exclamation

I was booked in row 21 HEL-ICN and PVG-HEL so I was going to report back... But, er, I didn't sit in the economy cabin for either flight, in the end. Cough

If Finnair keeps that up, they're going to get a lot more money from me!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:05 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by typical
If Finnair keeps that up, they're going to get a lot more money from me!
And a lot less from me.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
And a lot less from me.
Why? Y was oversold both ways. Do you begrudge them upgrading OWEs?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
On the topic of Y+: Has anyone noticed if the seatback in the Y+ seats reclines any better than in regular Y seats? I believe some airlines offer 5 degrees recline adjustment on regular Y seats while on economy plus it may be 10 degrees or so.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:04 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by typical
Why? Y was oversold both ways. Do you begrudge them upgrading OWEs?
I do, when it is done regurlarly and at high volume.

And just so you know, opup with AY has nothing to do with OWE or any other status.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
intuition, would you then consider start flying Y ?
I mean, you would benefit from killing the boredom of J flights by getting a good amount of gambling stress pre-flight
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by intuition
And just so you know, opup with AY has nothing to do with OWE or any other status.
How so?
According to my experience it does have very high relation.
Just because they run out of status members proves little or upgrade some non-status members.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:13 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FFlash
intuition, would you then consider start flying Y ?
I mean, you would benefit from killing the boredom of J flights by getting a good amount of gambling stress pre-flight
Haha, well yes you are right. And the big "getting BN 1, turning up at counter at the right moment looking sharp hinting about flying in the front"-thing I'm completely missing out on right now. A Y ticket is the key to really feel appreciated by your airline.

Sadly, I made myself a promise when I started my hobby. If I could not fly J, I would not fly at all.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:17 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reflektia
How so?
According to my experience it does have very high relation.
Just because they run out of status members proves little or upgrade some non-status members.
Just my experience - I have nothing else to back it up with.

We really won't know without inside information leaked. But the fact that we have different experience goes to show IMHO there seem to be no special upgrade process but rather a random one.

Last edited by intuition; Jan 7, 2015 at 2:45 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:42 am

Just flew SIN-HEL on OH-LQF in 21 J/L. 21 A/C and J/L have massive legroom as they are located a bit further back than the middle seats. This was the only good thing. Didn't notice any more recline than normal Y seats. Noise cancelling headphones and paper bag with amenities. Oh, and my IFE was broken.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Question Possible to select comfort seat at check-in?

My family and I are booked on an AA-coded AY-flight on an A340. I can check in online and change my seats among Y-, but when I try to select an Y+ seat the seat selection isn't saved.

Is it supposed to be selectable (for free/for a fee)? Anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Friend of mine flew HKT-HEL and told that after boarding was completed the crew announced that free Economy + -seats are available for 60€uros, Cash and cards accepted.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Is it supposed to be selectable (for free/for a fee)? Anything I can do about it?
Comfort seats are supposed to come with a fee (see the Finnair website), unless you are Finnair Plus Gold or Platinum (or Oneworld equivalent).

If you are willing to pay, you should obtain the Finnair/Amadeus PNR for your flight (it should show on the AA reservation) and go to Finnair.com, or call the Finnair customer service.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Comfort seats are supposed to come with a fee (see the Finnair website), unless you are Finnair Plus Gold or Platinum (or Oneworld equivalent).

If you are willing to pay, you should obtain the Finnair/Amadeus PNR for your flight (it should show on the AA reservation) and go to Finnair.com, or call the Finnair customer service.
Thanks, yes - that is the procedure before check-in. I was however asking about online check-in. The funny thing is that it shows Y+ seats as normal seats, selectable by anybody (but can't be saved):

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.