Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
5MR = 5,2 Avios / May campaign

Just a head-up - AMEX is running a campaign until 31/May. 30% bonus for transfer to BAEC Avios. 5MR=5,2 Avios

Have been witing for this since last June!
Old May 8, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Was REALLY hoping for 40 or 50% bonus like they did to members on the other side of the pond!
Old May 8, 2013, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know the saying about beggars and choosers, don't you?
Old May 9, 2013, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You know the saying about beggars and choosers, don't you?
How about this one - transfer to AA reinstated at 1:1. In celebration of this delightful event a 500% bonus during courting time!
Old May 31, 2013, 3:34 am

Outrageously off topic

I'm sorry to ask but thought I'd reach out to fellow Finnish cardholders - the BA +30% campaign ends today.

I've transferred a big chunk (by my standards) to BAEC, but I still have a healthy MR balance. As the airline partner list is so different from UK / US lists, there's really no interesting *A partner and the AY redemptions are bad. Have others transferred a healthy balance to BAEC?

What's considered a healthy BAEC balance ex-HEL, anyway?
Old May 31, 2013, 5:03 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
What's considered a healthy BAEC balance ex-HEL, anyway?
I'd say >500k?
Old May 31, 2013, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I'd say >500k?
What's your rationale? I'd be scared of devaluation with that many points / miles in any one programme.
Old May 31, 2013, 5:15 am

What's your rationale? I'd be scared of devaluation with that many points / miles in any one programme.
Rationale? I do not really care about devaluation that much, points are just points to me, they come and go..I just feel that 500k is a level where you can get some real rewards for 2-3 people, no more science in this..
Old May 31, 2013, 7:16 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Rationale? I do not really care about devaluation that much, points are just points to me, they come and go..I just feel that 500k is a level where you can get some real rewards for 2-3 people, no more science in this..
Availability of the redemption seats is ridiculous nowadays. Have to have very flexible vacation plans in order to be able to redeem. Used to be easy to get around with SH flights, but that is gone too, unless one wishes to visit London.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:17 am

I tend to value points and miles as funny money. Amex MR gives the possibility to spread out MRs into other programmes. Elsewhere it's possible to transfer to e.g. SQ or ANA, but here we're left with a dying programme EB. The Finnish MR programme is too OW heavy imho.

ps. I've decided not to transfer any more to baec awaiting a better bonus
Old May 31, 2013, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by TTL
Availability of the redemption seats is ridiculous nowadays. Have to have very flexible vacation plans in order to be able to redeem. Used to be easy to get around with SH flights, but that is gone too, unless one wishes to visit London.
I have found good availability with other OW airlines..I tend to avoid BA rewards due to fuel surcharges and LHR taxes anyway.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say >500k?
For me the motto is "use it or loose it". 500k is just waaay over anything I'd keep on my account - not that I'd have a chance, with all them kids jetting around

For me 100k or so covers most situations
Old May 31, 2013, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger

For me 100k or so covers most situations
For me too but I try to keep enough miles/points available for a looong F award in one of my OW programs...just in case the s**t hits the fan

Generally all of you are right, burn as soon as possible is the best way to get most out of them!
Old May 31, 2013, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ps. I've decided not to transfer any more to baec awaiting a better bonus
You'll have a whole year to build up your MR balance - AFAIR the previous promo was exactly a year ago. I know I drained my MR account then and did it now again

Another good program to transfer MR to is Club Carlson (Radisson) at 1MR=2CC rate.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have found good availability with other OW airlines..I tend to avoid BA rewards due to fuel surcharges and LHR taxes anyway.
Within Europe it's a twentysomething € flat fee on BA metal. AB charges no YQ on redemptions and as we all know AY does. If you connect at LHR, you are not hit by UK departure taxes

For me, with a lot a family travel bertween UK and FI, BAEC is THE program to participate - cheap redemptions, good availability (as BAEC Gold I have so far always got availability when needed), free UK domestic connecting sectors...

I think the general agreement is that BAEC redemptions these days are the best values for European flights and US domestic ones on AA. I would also add CX and JL as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.