Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Important Change to Your Fairmont President's Club Membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Important Change to Your Fairmont President's Club Membership

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
If Accor were smart they would allow the conversion of Accor points to upgrade certificates which can allow upgrade upon booking. That is the major complaint of everyone. No trust at all in the "upgrade at check-in if available"...
ptownca likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Sad news indeed. I am Accor Le Club Platinum for many years now and except for the cash return it is completely useless. I rarely get any room upgrades or any other perks. I also just qualified for Fairmont Platinum this year (the hard way) and their loyalty program was significantly better. I felt that my business was appreciated and the e-certs really made a difference.

If Accor does not make any changes to their program there will be lots and lots of plat members anyway. Accor hands out platinum status like candy.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Note that as I read it, if you earned Platinum based on 2017 stays, you will have Accors Platinum until Dec. 2019 since as of July 1 you will of course be Platinum.
Will FPC issue you any complimentary room certificates if you hit 40 nights before then or are the March 2018 certs the end of the certs?
Just trying to figure out if there is any point in earning during 1/1 - 6/30/18....? You already have your status from 2017, you won't earn any Accors points and you can't earn any certs.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Note that as I read it, if you earned Platinum based on 2017 stays, you will have Accors Platinum until Dec. 2019 since as of July 1 you will of course be Platinum.
Will FPC issue you any complimentary room certificates if you hit 40 nights before then or are the March 2018 certs the end of the certs?
Just trying to figure out if there is any point in earning during 1/1 - 6/30/18....? You already have your status from 2017, you won't earn any Accors points and you can't earn any certs.
If you earned Plat status for 2018, you will have a new set of certs in March 2018 valid until Feb 2019 and Accor Plat status valid until the end of 2019. No need to re-qualify to anything in 2018 (as far as I understand).
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
The bomb we were waiting for has dropped.
Some things I don't understand:

>Platinum = 14,000 Status Points or up to 60 room nights
So does this mean if I hit 60 nights but status points are short I still qualify? Why does it say "up to"??
If you have more than 60 nights you will be downgraded to classic again The wording is misleading, indeed. At least in the current Le Club program it is 14k status points OR 60 nights.

>Rewards Points will never expire and are valid for life, subject to one eligible stay per year.
Never expire? Doesn't sound like it. So does this mean if you do not stay during one year you lose all your points? Do points expire after one year from earn, or after one year no stay, everything goes poof?

Yes, ALL points expire if you do not have at least one stay during this year. The relevant date is the last date of activity. Once you "protected" the first points you earned, the new activity date starts the countdown for the next year. While it is certainly wrong that points never expire it is actually pretty simple to keep your points and you do not really have to stay at Accor Hotels so often. And there is tons of hotels to choose from.

>What really makes Maryam smile though, is that rather than receiving her annual two room and two suite upgrade certificates, she will receive an upgrade to the next best room or room category(4) every single time she stays at a Fairmont or another Le Club AccorHotels property.
Doesn't make me smile. Sure I get upgraded to Deluxe but the standard room I am usually given by the property is better than the Deluxe I sometimes get, so now I have to explain to the property to NOT upgrade me all the time. That will be a real pain. And yes, no more suite upgrades

However, I did not see mention about lounge access. Will Fairmont be required now to make their Gold lounge accessible to Platinums??

I gave up Premier Platinum at Marriott to go Fairmont. Time to go back, esp. since I am in reach of the Lifetime status levels (already have nights for Platinum, just need more points).
Yep that is a big problem. Upgrades simply do not work. It may be different at Fairmont hotels but at Sofitels it just does not.

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Bye Bye Fairmont
Well, that's easier said then done. In a lot of places, Fairmonts are the nicest hotels.

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
No trust at all in the "upgrade at check-in if available"...
It is not just that I have no trust. I have more than 5 years of experience with Accor and I probably got 1 or 2 upgrades at Sofitels in all those years. Also I don't like to ask for an upgrade. They should tell me that "yes we can upgrade you" or "sorry, we know you are entitled to an upgrade but we don't have capacity".
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:06 am

Plat since 2007, got to say, this is disappointing. Time to explore other chains. Should use all the aeroplan points for bookings before they take those Fairmont privileges away.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
You are right about asking unfortunately. I Just completed a stay at the Pullman park lane Hong Kong. I always ask In the lounge (this lounge was nice though small)what room I was getting Maybe 30 to 40 percent of the time like this stay they just set you up in the room you paid for.

So I Just said... platinium room upgrade? Same room size upgrade but better funishing.

By the way correction for people staying no more suite upgrades.... yes You can get suite upgrades but its not likely You will be upgraded 3 or 4 levels to a suite from the Cheapest level room. So booking a duluxe/luxury room without lounge benefits usually means You can get a suite unless they play games...

And for example booking a junior suite In a Sofitel will allow an upgrade to a prestige suite on most occasions unless it is really peak season. Which In that case I see if they can do a 2 or 3 level upgrade with a small supplimentry payment.

5600 EUROS is room rate but taxes are not included. So You are Looking around 6000 EUROS all included to qualify for platinium.

Concerning earning rates. yes standard is pretty poor earning of rewards points. but every 3 to 5 times a year they will Have X3 or X4 promotions for certain regions booked for certain times. I spent 6500 EUROS this year including taxes with Accor and I raked In 60,000 rewards points.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Agreed. The benefits completely suck. On the plus side, it's dead easy to qualify for Accor Platinum compared to Fairmont Platinum qualification.

According to the chart, Platinum members earn 25 points per 10 Euros spent. You need 14,000 points to earn Platinum. That means you can hit Platinum with just 5,600 Euros spent. Is my math correct? I have a single 5-night stay at Lake Louise this summer where I'll spend that. Unless my math is off, or I'm misunderstanding how the program works, my existing bookings at BSH and CLL for 2018 will likely clear 3 times the qualification threshold for Accor Platinum.

So, easier to earn status, but too bad it's not actually worth anything. No guaranteed upgrades upon booking? What bloody use is that?
It is certainly easier, but it is worthless. Just awful.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,

However, I did not see mention about lounge access. Will Fairmont be required now to make their Gold lounge accessible to Platinums??
It is specifically EXCLUDED. We don't get access to Gold floor. That isn't surprising, since they really market their Gold product as a hotel within a hotel.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by tris06
And for example booking a junior suite In a Sofitel will allow an upgrade to a prestige suite on most occasions unless it is really peak season. Which In that case I see if they can do a 2 or 3 level upgrade with a small supplimentry payment.

5600 EUROS is room rate but taxes are not included. So You are Looking around 6000 EUROS all included to qualify for platinium.

Concerning earning rates. yes standard is pretty poor earning of rewards points. but every 3 to 5 times a year they will Have X3 or X4 promotions for certain regions booked for certain times. I spent 6500 EUROS this year including taxes with Accor and I raked In 60,000 rewards points.
So you get about $1200 euros in cash back. That's all.

I EASILY save $1200 euros using ONE suite upgrade certificate. Not to mention the other one, both of which are guaranteed. And the free night. And the $100 F+B. And the $100 Spa. And the Room upgrade certificates. And the free annual gift.

This really hurts for those of us in Western Canada who are so close to so many iconic Fairmont hotels. I am not sure why I got my hopes up that a company with such a poor reputation for company culture would keep the good parts of the FPC program.
ptownca likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Gosh, I gave up on Marriott and Hilton's programs after their devaluation, now the Fairmont program has gone down the crapper. After I use up my certificates, what other *decent* hotel loyalty programs are left???
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This move has also made me confirm that I am not going to send any $$ to Accor/Fairmont on my upcoming trip. 11 nights gone from their revenue. Especially since it looks like I am not likely to get any special treatment at Accor properties other than maybe lounge access.

Makes my Amex Platinum commitment iffy as well now since this partnership of easier qualification will disappear (I better get it for the upcoming year since that was what I was led to believe). Unfortunate for sure.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
This move has also made me confirm that I am not going to send any $$ to Accor/Fairmont on my upcoming trip. 11 nights gone from their revenue. Especially since it looks like I am not likely to get any special treatment at Accor properties other than maybe lounge access.

Makes my Amex Platinum commitment iffy as well now since this partnership of easier qualification will disappear (I better get it for the upcoming year since that was what I was led to believe). Unfortunate for sure.
The perk has been removed from AMEX Platinum's website, although still remains on Fairmont's.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Well that is QUITE A bummer.. after reading the reports earlier in the year, I got the feeling that Accor was going to try and UPGRADE their Accor program to bring in some of the features of the FPC program. The CEO of Accor said after the acquisition announcement that a big factor in their purchase of the Fairmont Brand and properties was the LOYALTY of a high earning and spending guest population. Discriminating and willing to pay more for rooms.

This, will just turn many of those people away. I know C level execs who always try and stay at Fairmonts, as they now when they travel with family or such they get better service, can use suite upgrades, etc. Removing those value proposition options will make that much less valuable.

Personally, I spend WAY more today than I ever did with Fairmont - as do the dozens of people I have convinced to put stays with Fairmont based on the quality of their frequent stayer plan. I can't see any of them really wanting to continue without that value.

Losing those frequent higher paying loyal guests at Fairmont, I can't really imagine was their objective with this move but well, stupid is as stupid does.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC *E
Originally Posted by Altaflyer

The Fairmont benefit was one of the very best things offered for Canadian Amex Plat. Going to be loads of cancellations and downgrades of Amex cards unless something is added to try to replace it. Not worth $699 without Fairmont IMHO.
Napstolean likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.