Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I have this card but I don't think it makes sense for me to put 12k on it for the free night cert. You must have plans to stay at a property with rates of >$500/night for it to make sense.

I do think the $95 AF for the card pays for itself multiple times with the various certificates.

For me, this card is an 1% card. I have many cards with bonus categories so I will average 3% cash back on that 12k spending. So my cost for gaining the free night cert is $360-$120 = $240. If I had 12k in reimbursable fairmont spend, then I would put the spend on this card.

The certs book you usually in the lowest category room and the booking doesn't qualify for the third night free certificate. By booking a paid rate through visa signature/virtuoso/FHR, atleast I can get breakfast and use the third night free certificate.

do you guys put 12k on this card? any particular reason why it makes sense for you?
I do, but then I do because of work circumstances, I am now traveling to places where there are Fairmonts on a very regular cadence and we have reasonable rates given the overall experience and level of service.

Overall I am very satisfied with the card and think the AF is a bargain.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
With some additional reflection ... if you're weighing this as a pure valuation of a hard pull and annual fee vs. potential benefits/freebies - hotel credit cards in general are probably not on top.

But if you regularly (or even occasionally) stay at the associated properties - 5x minimum redemption, and possibly more depending on promotions, one's status (e.g. Intercontinental), etc., and adding dining, room service, and other fees - the situation is beneficial.

Consider - $4K at Fairmont, $4K dining, $4K regular spend.

That would be 5*4000 + 2*4000 + 4000 = 32000 Fairmont points.

So, a free Chase night, and sufficient points for a Cat. A Junior Suite night (or $300 in gift cards with 2000 residual points) - that's two nights, apart from the conferred Premier benefits (upgrades, LNF, dining certs, etc.)

2% on 12000 is $240. 3% (if you can get that) is $360. If you value Fairmont stays, the benefits accruing from the Fairmont card are much greater than $360.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by FrenchLaundry
With some additional reflection ... if you're weighing this as a pure valuation of a hard pull and annual fee vs. potential benefits/freebies - hotel credit cards in general are probably not on top.

But if you regularly (or even occasionally) stay at the associated properties - 5x minimum redemption, and possibly more depending on promotions, one's status (e.g. Intercontinental), etc., and adding dining, room service, and other fees - the situation is beneficial.

So, a free Chase night, and sufficient points for a Cat. A Junior Suite night (or $300 in gift cards with 2000 residual points) - that's two nights, apart from the conferred Premier benefits (upgrades, LNF, dining certs, etc.)

2% on 12000 is $240. 3% (if you can get that) is $360. If you value Fairmont stays, the benefits accruing from the Fairmont card are much greater than $360.
Agree with your math except the 2X points for dining? Believe dining is only 1X on the FPC card. Has this changed?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Agree with your math except the 2X points for dining? Believe dining is only 1X on the FPC card. Has this changed?
You are right. Sorry, I inadvertently interchanged dining and airline.

From http://www.fairmont.com/promo/card/ :

"2 for every $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with airlines, at car rental agencies, and on transit and commuting"

So here are two corrected scenarios:

$4K Fairmont, $4K dining, $4K regular = 5*4000 + 4000 + 4000 = 28000 Fairmont points. (Still enough points for a Cat. A Fairmont room with 3000 remainder.)

$4K Fairmont, $4K airfare, $4K regular = 5*4000 + 2*4000 + 4000 = 32000 Fairmont points.

So I imagine many folks here may use card/airline pairs that awards more points, e.g. an Alaska card when flying on Alaska gets 3X. Or the AMEX PRG. But if you do value Fairmont stays, this card provides some notable, usable benefits.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:17 am

Sorry for the novice nature of this post, I hope you can help and be patient.

I currently have Hyatt and Hilton Diamond status and don't normally frequent Fairmonts as I work to maintain those levels. I am taking a trip in Dec to the Philippines and unfortunately Hilton has no properties and the only Hyatt property there sounds like it is middle of the road at best.

This is why I am looking at the Fairmont Card as they have a pretty nice Fairmont as well as a Raffles there.

So here are my questions, appreciate your help:

1. If I get the Fairmont card I guess it upgrades me to middle tier status, will this give me a potential upgrade on a free cert stay to lounge access?
2. the two free night certs are they redeemable at both Fairmont or Raffles or just Fairmont?
3. I read that $ spend translates into points, but for the life of me I can't find a redemption chart to find out how many points it would take to book a stay at the Raffles or Fairmont in the Philippines. I am not sure if it would be worth it.

Appreciate any help or guidance you can provide.

Cheers!
Z
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
So here are my questions, appreciate your help:

1. If I get the Fairmont card I guess it upgrades me to middle tier status, will this give me a potential upgrade on a free cert stay to lounge access?
2. the two free night certs are they redeemable at both Fairmont or Raffles or just Fairmont?
3. I read that $ spend translates into points, but for the life of me I can't find a redemption chart to find out how many points it would take to book a stay at the Raffles or Fairmont in the Philippines. I am not sure if it would be worth it.

Appreciate any help or guidance you can provide.

Cheers!
Z
1) Yes, you'd get Premier status. No, free lounge access is never a benefit (whether you have Premier or Platinum status).
2) only Fairmont properties
3) Chase points can be redeemed for GCs or ovation certs; see post #3 of this thread for details; the Fairmont Makati is a collection B property
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
1) Yes, you'd get Premier status. No, free lounge access is never a benefit (whether you have Premier or Platinum status).
2) only Fairmont properties
3) Chase points can be redeemed for GCs or ovation certs; see post #3 of this thread for details; the Fairmont Makati is a collection B property
Thanks for the response, so by reading the chart i would need to have 35K in spend on the card to earn one free night. If I book via chase ultimate rewards its only 17-18K which is a much better redemption rate.

I only get the suite upgrade certs if I am an existing premier/platinum member correct?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the response, so by reading the chart i would need to have 35K in spend on the card to earn one free night. If I book via chase ultimate rewards its only 17-18K which is a much better redemption rate.
Not quite. Fairmont Chase points are different from Chase UR points and the accruel rates vary. E.g. you'd only need to spend $7k at Fairmont hotels to earn 35k points (see first few posts for details). But generally speaking, redemming Fairmont Chase points for GCs is a better option.

I only get the suite upgrade certs if I am an existing premier/platinum member correct?
No, all Premier members receive one suite upgrade cert (see the Master FAQ thread for details), existing Premier/Platinum members get a Gold upgrade cert.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:03 pm

Jasper thanks for your time responding, I have read through the master thread FAQ and still have a few more queries I appreciate your patience.

Not quite. Fairmont Chase points are different from Chase UR points and the accruel rates vary. E.g. you'd only need to spend $7k at Fairmont hotels to earn 35k points (see first few posts for details). But generally speaking, redemming Fairmont Chase points for GCs is a better option.
While this is true, If I was looking to MS points towards free nights UR seems like the way to go.

No, all Premier members receive one suite upgrade cert (see the Master FAQ thread for details), existing Premier/Platinum members get a Gold upgrade cert.
The FAQ doesn't say if I can apply the suite upgrade cert to stays booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Is this possible?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Jasper thanks for your time responding, I have read through the master thread FAQ and still have a few more queries I appreciate your patience.

The FAQ doesn't say if I can apply the suite upgrade cert to stays booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Is this possible?
Good question, to which I unfortunately don't know the answer. Upgrade certs can be combined with both the regular free night certs as well as ovation certs (the certs you can redeem your Fairmont Chase points for), but I have no experience with the Chase UR program.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:27 pm

Good question, to which I unfortunately don't know the answer. Upgrade certs can be combined with both the regular free night certs as well as ovation certs (the certs you can redeem your Fairmont Chase points for), but I have no experience with the Chase UR program.
Thanks well you answered my next query which was if i could apply the suite upgrade to my free nights from the credit card. Sounds like i can. Will report back on my success/failure on the UR nights.
Old May 6, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by FrenchLaundry

I see your point.. in my situation fairmont spend is <$2k. I keep the card for the benefits but don't use the card a lot. It's perfect for rental cars (primary coverage) and award fees (you still get travel insurance).
Old May 13, 2015, 9:23 am

Has anyone had success in extending the Visa Free Night certs? My travel plans changed, and I will most likely not be able to use them before they expire.
Old May 15, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Card anniversary was April 14. Annual Fee posted on May 1. Free night posted to fairmont account on May 8.

Looks like chase is generous in providing retention offers for this card. A few people have been offered 5000 points after spending $1000 in next 90 days. The card is practically free for me.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Point redemption options include:

•Gift Cards
•Travel (see details here)
•Fairmont Ovation Certificates (25000-75000 points depending on ovation cert category) which can be used for stays at Fairmont, Swissotel and Raffles properties

The number of points required for a redemption depends both on the room category and the collection to which a property belongs:

(screenshot courtesy of Travelsort)

You can find a complete list that of the Collection A - D properties here.
OP, thanks for the post! I didn't know I can redeem the Fairmont point for GC. The lowest GC redemption is 1000 pt for a $10 Starbucks GC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.