Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I strongly suspect that the prohibition of using cert.s to get alcohol is because liquor laws in some states/ provinces/ countries forbid giving alcohol away free or even at a price discounted by coupon(s.) Hotels located elsewhere have no reason to care.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Officially, dining certs cannot be used for breakfast (or alcohol), but practically speaking hotels rarely care, especially if you charge your dining bill to your room.
Le Ch teau Frontenac wouldn't let me apply dining certs toward alcohol. Our meals were charged to the room, and apparently the front desk could see the details. That's the only time I've run into that rule being enforced.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by Brendan
I strongly suspect that the prohibition of using cert.s to get alcohol is because liquor laws in some states/ provinces/ countries forbid giving alcohol away free or even at a price discounted by coupon(s.) Hotels located elsewhere have no reason to care.
This is a workable explanation, however, the Royal York has a sign in the gold lounge saying provincial law prohibits free alcohol, and yet I never have problems redeems certificates towards alcohol at RYH or Chateau Laurier. Mind you, we drink 1 cocktail per $200 dinner.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:49 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Longtime lurker first time poster to this thread. I finally pulled the trigger and applied for this card.
OK, just received the card after lengthy approval wrangling. My what an ugly cheap looking card. Not what we have come to expect for these premium cards. Kinda like a pre-paid gift card! Anyways.

What, if anything do I have to do before Feb 28th?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by DnvTrvlr
Has been 4-5 days since my first statement cut. Spent 3K well before the statement date. Two free nights certs haven't shown up yet.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Frank, I agree. The plastic feels week & bends easily, just like the Chase Hyatt Visa! I personally would prefer a gold-colored card such as the DL Amex. However, the benefits are way more important than the feel & look of the card !

Anyway, there is nothing to do by Feb. 28. Your deadline is in mid-May, before which you must charge US$3000 in net purchases to your new card to earn the Welcome Bonus of 2 Free Nights!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
I finally received the welcome email (applied chase cc last month).. 2 free night certificates not showing up yet.. But I see two $25 USD dining, 3rd night free certificates with issue date as 23/Feb/2017 and expiry date as 28/Feb/2017... BOTH 2017.. What was that? I was hoping those to be valid for a year...
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
I finally received the welcome email (applied chase cc last month).. 2 free night certificates not showing up yet.. But I see two $25 USD dining, 3rd night free certificates with issue date as 23/Feb/2017 and expiry date as 28/Feb/2017... BOTH 2017.. What was that? I was hoping those to be valid for a year...
Those are the certs related to your Premier status. You will get a new set of certs on March 1, valid until Feb. 28, 2018.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:44 am

Gee, I too laughed at my new certs valid for 2 weeks ! Du-uh, why bother issuing them? OTOH, it's lucky for the few of us who have booked stays in late Feb. (or who live near a Fairmont hotel.)
Anyway, I thought only people who acquired Premier status in 2016 got certs expiring 28 Feb. 2017.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Those are the certs related to your Premier status. You will get a new set of certs on March 1, valid until Feb. 28, 2018.
Ahh ok..

Do I need the free nights certificate while I book or while I check in? Also, can we cancel or change a Reservation booked using free night certificate without a fee?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Ahh ok..

Do I need the free nights certificate while I book or while I check in? Also, can we cancel or change a Reservation booked using free night certificate without a fee?
The certificates need to be valid and in your account at the time of check-in. FPC will generally also want to see the certificate in your account at time of booking, but will occasionally make a booking if they see you've already requalified for the next year, on the assumption the certificate will become available on March 1.

Certificates are redeemed by the hotel at the time of check-in, so you can certainly cancel a reservation that has a certificate applied, and still have that certificate available for other reservations.

If for some reason the certificate you intended to use for a stay isn't available at the time of check-in, be prepared to get charged full price for the reservation.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: spg gold, hilton diamond, marriott gold, carlson gold
Figured I'd give people a heads up of a dispute I'm having with fairmont.

I was given a Chase/Fairmont free night December, 2015 (for 2016) and fairmont gave me a "free night" in July, 2016 (since some people didn't get they're free night). I treated it as a bank error in my favor (I used two last year).

Now, Chase "granted me" a free night December 8, 2016 but fairmont won't issue it (since they're saying "the second free night" was for 2017.

After much back and forth with Fairmont and Chase there has been no resolution, so I filed a complaint with the BBB.

Did others get 2 fairmont free nights in 2016?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:10 pm

Marty, it sounds like your July 2016 free night was intended as compensation because they did not realize you got yours in Dec. 2015. So they're treating the Dec. 2016 award as already used. So you still got 2 free nights. Best of all you got to use the 2nd one early--possibly at the same hotel as the first. Personally, I'd rather have one 2-night free stay at an oh-so-expensive hotel than two one-nighters!
So I bet that you, Chase & Fairmont are even now. So forget it & let it rest.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:20 pm

I received my welcome email this afternoon, and I promptly activated my account. I just got back from dinner, full and happy, using the two $25 dining certificates before they expired.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:34 am

I saw this question asked earlier in the thread but not sure if there is an answer yet. I didn't do the spending to get a free night this year, so I am thinking of cancelling.

If I do, will I lose the upgrade and third night free cert that posted to my account today for the new year?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta, Accor, Marriott
Apologies if I missed this earlier in the thread or elsewhere, but is this card still available and is the two free nights with $3,000 spend still active? I couldn't find an application online.

Thanks for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.