Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Which, of course, doesn't mean it is free. :-:
Right, but if TPG website pays for it and he no longer owns the website would it not be bankrate paying? Not that it really matters, but here is an example... I paid $32,000 to fly in the Residence... Is Brian saying he paid out of his own pocket for the ticket out of pocket or is the company paying for the flight. If my company pays for me to fly first class I wouldn't claim that I paid for the ticket.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Right, but if TPG website pays for it and he no longer owns the website would it not be bankrate paying? Not that it really matters, but here is an example... I paid $32,000 to fly in the Residence... Is Brian saying he paid out of his own pocket for the ticket out of pocket or is the company paying for the flight. If my company pays for me to fly first class I wouldn't claim that I paid for the ticket.
On one's taxes, you can deduct legitimate business expenses if they aren't paid for by your employer.
Brian's income arrangement isn't also entirely clear. He equivocated in this article in 2014 https://skift.com/2014/12/01/the-blu...ravel-writers/ But even if the website is owned by Bankrate and he's salaried (unlikely) doesn't mean he doesn't get income from other sources for speaking engagements, writing, etc..
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Finally watched TPGtv for the first time - the "here are my completely obnoxious reasons to fly the SQ suites special" - soooooooo boring! I'm sorry - TPG is obviously very good at what he does, but that might've been the most boring 2 minute video I've ever seen. Made SQ suites seem tired and lame (which they look anything but!). So just curious also - there's no way he always finds 2-3 saver awards on routes like this (or maybe he does) - so does he use miles for himself, pay cash for his crew, and then deduct that as a business expense?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>so does he use miles for himself, pay cash for his crew, and then deduct that as a business expense?

My (good) guess: It's all cash paid by his employer. You know the company that employs him right?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:43 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
So. Many Face. Book. Ads.

I can't go on my the face book wall without this guy trying to sell me a credit card!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by kokonutz
So. Many Face. Book. Ads.

I can't go on my the face book wall without this guy trying to sell me a credit card!
Same. I have two friends who like "The Points Guy", and I get flooded with his ads.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
To think some people don't believe he bought his million likes.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Same. I have two friends who like "The Points Guy", and I get flooded with his ads.
Could also be retargeted ads targeting you because of a past visit to his site.

Or both.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by tlott
Could also be retargeted ads targeting you because of a past visit to his site.

Or both.
More likely that you follow an airline or hotel chain whose likes he is targetting.

FB is astonishingly good for this. If you want to reach pregnant women under 30 in London, it can do it for you. That's why it makes the money.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Raffles
More likely that you follow an airline or hotel chain whose likes he is targetting.

FB is astonishingly good for this. If you want to reach pregnant women under 30 in London, it can do it for you. That's why it makes the money.
Go on...
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
You do know you can tell Facebook not to show that ad again.

I wonder if FB can target 'grumpy people who hide ads'?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
You do know you can tell Facebook not to show that ad again.

I wonder if FB can target 'grumpy people who hide ads'?
Of course they can.

But, having identified them, wouldn't it be pointless to show them an ad?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SkyBuck
Of course they can.

But, having identified them, wouldn't it be pointless to show them an ad?
If you can target a group for ads, you can also target a group to NOT send ads - this would save you a bit if you were buying ads.

On the other hand, you could try to craft an ad that appeals to people who don't like ads - perhaps an ad for an Ad Blocker (which would be a bit ironic)

But, for your personal Facebook Experience, if you don't like something - a Post, an Ad etc - you can tell Facebook to not show you stuff. I've spent time hiding crap posts and stupid surveys from apps and sites my friends post, and my feed is much cleaner as a result. Same for ads.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Scrub
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
On the other hand, you could try to craft an ad that appeals to people who don't like ads
See this is the whole point of what Facebook (and much of the web that makes money off of advertising) is trying to do. The end goal is to make ads that don't LOOK like ads, and they have gotten pretty good at it. Nobody liked ads before because they were intrusive, obnoxious, and weren't relevant. Slowly, they have become less of all of these things to the point that tons of these ads look just like regular posts, especially on the mobile platform. Think the subliminal branding advertisements in movies, where the cars all all BMWs and phones are all branded by Samsung etc.

It's just like how some blog posts look like travel posts, but in reality its just a credit card advertisements, or try to sell you some "must have travel accessories." People are more likely to read and click on an advertisement if it doesn't look like one at first.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by pairofkeets
See this is the whole point of what Facebook (and much of the web that makes money off of advertising) is trying to do. The end goal is to make ads that don't LOOK like ads, and they have gotten pretty good at it. Nobody liked ads before because they were intrusive, obnoxious, and weren't relevant. Slowly, they have become less of all of these things to the point that tons of these ads look just like regular posts, especially on the mobile platform. Think the subliminal branding advertisements in movies, where the cars all all BMWs and phones are all branded by Samsung etc.

It's just like how some blog posts look like travel posts, but in reality its just a credit card advertisements, or try to sell you some "must have travel accessories." People are more likely to read and click on an advertisement if it doesn't look like one at first.
The most recent season of South Park had a season-long arc that explained all of this quite accurately and hilariously.

I don't think TPG is a sentient ad. But he's pretty darn close!

Last edited by kokonutz; Aug 15, 2016 at 9:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.