Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
An article that points out that some of the top politicians in the USA have 10-50% fake Twitter followers:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...followers.html

Donald Trump might be purchasing fake likes:
http://www.businessinsider.com/donal...llowers-2015-6

YouTube wiped out billions of fake views from music videos:
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/...-big-business/

The same article points out:
In 2013, the State Department was caught spending $630,000 to boost its numbers.

Not saying that the fake followers were purchased, but the Klout score for top CEO's and business men:
Aaron Levie, CEO of Box.com: 76% good
Marc Benioff, CEO of Salesforce.com: 69% good
Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle: 54% good

Richard Branson 36% good & 27% fake

Mark Cuban, @mcuban, Investor, Entrepreneur, Owner of Dallas Mavericks
Fake: 25%

Steve Case, @stevecase, Co-founder of AOL
Fake: 28%

Pete Cashmore, @mashable, Founder of Mashable
Fake: 19%
But but but those aren't miles and points blogs!

It doesn't matter what anyone says he isn't going to change his mind. TPG could come here and contradict him and he still would say he doesn't believe it.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:20 am

Anyone know what happened w/ TPG on his &Beyond Tanzania safari? Apparently something went wrong, he was supposed to be in touch w/ management at the airstrip but they never showed up, then he spoke with the CEO and got 50% of his money back.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: All of Them
Originally Posted by cheesedawg
Anyone know what happened w/ TPG on his &Beyond Tanzania safari? Apparently something went wrong, he was supposed to be in touch w/ management at the airstrip but they never showed up, then he spoke with the CEO and got 50% of his money back.
Where did you see this info?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Richklhs
Where did you see this info?
Instagram/Snapchat
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:54 am

Sounds like a JRL travel hack... complain a lot to get a discount

Kind of shocked that TPG paid cash for a vacation!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yeah I saw the melt down on Snapchat. I enjoy his Snapchat on days he is traveling, otherwise its kind of whatever.

Some how they tried to move his flight up several hours and cut him short one game driver, so he had all kinds of posts about how shady they were and he was glad people in New York were keeping up with his flights. Then he went on to say this is why he doesn't ever take free trips because then he couldn't be totally honest.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Then he went on to say this is why he doesn't ever take free trips because then he couldn't be totally honest.
Which isn't true. He's taken many free trips/flights/hotels in the past and likes to say "we never take free..."

What he means to say is we no longer take free flights, free hotel nights, or free trips on a regular basis. Example of a free flight this past year. He's also had no problem accepting free "experiences" from hotels.

Wondering if this incident will make into his TPG-TV show.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:52 pm

Just saw his YouTube channel... Did anyone notice that his Father's Day message was actually a paid commercial for Dockers?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Yeah I saw the melt down on Snapchat. I enjoy his Snapchat on days he is traveling, otherwise its kind of whatever.

Some how they tried to move his flight up several hours and cut him short one game driver, so he had all kinds of posts about how shady they were and he was glad people in New York were keeping up with his flights. Then he went on to say this is why he doesn't ever take free trips because then he couldn't be totally honest.
I don't know the circumstances, but that definitely sounds annoying. How long did he stay, 3 nights? If so, that'd be 1/6 game drives missed, and the morning ones tend to be longer so most "valuable". Usually the flight schedules are set specifically to allow for the morning game drive on the final day.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 7:14 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Which isn't true. He's taken many free trips/flights/hotels in the past and likes to say "we never take free..."

What he means to say is we no longer take free flights, free hotel nights, or free trips on a regular basis. Example of a free flight this past year. He's also had no problem accepting free "experiences" from hotels.

Wondering if this incident will make into his TPG-TV show.
Not vouching for any accuracy just recalling what was said to help put some more context into the thread.

I don't know the circumstances, but that definitely sounds annoying. How long did he stay, 3 nights? If so, that'd be 1/6 game drives missed, and the morning ones tend to be longer so most "valuable". Usually the flight schedules are set specifically to allow for the morning game drive on the final day.
Yes I think he was there for 3 nights. It was actually kind of an amazing snap story he started out on small charter in Tanzania and then got to Philly and ended his trip on another small propeller charter to the Hamptons. That's a pretty cool journey.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Kind of shocked that TPG paid cash for a vacation!
Why?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sbm12
Why?
He'll probably count it as a business expense.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
I don't have snapchat. What happened with &Beyond? We just stayed with them at a Tanzania property at the end of a trip and when we were in the planning stages almost skipped this lodge because their booking staff told us that we wouldn't have game drive at all on arrival day which IMO is a waste of a very expensive day and warrants a discount. The property we stayed at was over 3k/night and had a single longer drive per day due to the location and time to get to the wildlife area and we were due to land at 11am and arrive before 1pm and not willing to accept an afternoon of simplify doing nothing at that price point. As PP noted the flights are usually set up so that you arrive in time for afternoon drive and depart after morning drive (even if your morning drive shorter and is en route to the airplane strip). However I want to point out that this was because the area we were in (crater) was part of a national park and you have to enter/exit by a certain time of day so if we arrived very late we wouldn't be able to get into the park. We have always stayed on private concessions that aren't subject to entry/exit times like that, but when you have 1-2 drives per day on a 3 night stay missing a game drive is aggravating.

Some things (like bush flight schedules) change daily and you don't know flight times until the day prior. Some airports in national park areas are not close to your lodge and the planes will not wait for you. If I missed game drive due to arrangements they make I might expect some sort of discount/refund depending on the situation.

Last edited by floridagal23; Jul 8, 2016 at 3:18 pm
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Adam1222
He'll probably count it as a business expense.
Which, of course, doesn't mean it is free. :-:
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Why?
1) He's the points guy... so you'd think he'd be using points for everything

2) His company seems to be taking corporate sponsorship for everything from flights, hotel experiences, etc... so I would have expected he would have some sort of partnership with some company that would have footed the bill as I assume a nice safari is not cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.