Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 8:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
So do you similarly complain about Gary pushing the conservative agenda on VFTW? Or is this some hypocrisy “shut up and dribble” rhetoric only reserved for people who think climate change is real and a global pandemic is a bad thing?
Not sure if you're asking me or the other guy, but your question is rather irrelevant. Calling out an issue only warrants a response to that issue. If you want to have a separate conversation about VFTW hypocrisy, wrong thread.

Mentality like you demonstrated in your post... that has resulted in the last election and the upcoming election: I.E "I can ignore the faults of one candidate/party on the basis of faults of the other candidate/party."
All I ever see when someone says crap about Biden is responses talking crap about Trump. And vice versa.

For the record though, I don't read VFTW. My travel blog go-to's are exclusively from liberals. Please add another quarter.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
I mean, props to him for getting out of his comfort zone, but a story like that is just something you keep to yourself. He could adjust the headline: "While participating in unnecessary leisure travel, I explained to other people how they needed to do their part".
Unless the whole point was to have something to write about and not because he was actually concerned.
Leisure travel is not a necessity even if when there isn't a pandemic, so it would be quite silly to say "unnecessary leisure travel".
Also, technically, he was travelling for work.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by mikex163
Leisure travel is not a necessity even if when there isn't a pandemic, so it would be quite silly to say "unnecessary leisure travel".
Also, technically, he was travelling for work.
Yes, it would be silly. But that misses the point.
And yes "technically" he took an unnecessary leisure trip for work. Of course, in Lucky's case leisure travel and business travel are *mostly* one and the same.
Again, I'm not invested in jumping on him for travelling during a pandemic. Nor am I going to jump on any CBP officers for not wearing masks.
I drove across the country a few months ago, and when I saw anyone who wasn't wearing a mask, I followed a simple rule: "MYOB".
And if you feel like other people not wearing masks IS your business, then how can you not feel like people travelling for non-critical purposes ISN'T?
iadisgreat likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Yes, it would be silly. But that misses the point.
And yes "technically" he took an unnecessary leisure trip for work. Of course, in Lucky's case leisure travel and business travel are *mostly* one and the same.
Again, I'm not invested in jumping on him for travelling during a pandemic. Nor am I going to jump on any CBP officers for not wearing masks.
I drove across the country a few months ago, and when I saw anyone who wasn't wearing a mask, I followed a simple rule: "MYOB".
And if you feel like other people not wearing masks IS your business, then how can you not feel like people travelling for non-critical purposes ISN'T?
MYOB would be great if your actions can’t impact me.

You are treating masks as if they are seatbelts where the only real benefit is to the individual and it’s fair to say MYOB because that person can take the risk they want to take.

In this case your not wearing a mask can directly impact me and I certainly have a right to express my displeasure with you in that situation.

Asking someone to wear a mask is more akin to trying to prevent a drunk driver to getting behind the wheel of a car. Sure you could MYOB but that driver can cause harm or deaths to other innocent people and it’s not unreasonable to call them out for their actions.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
MYOB would be great if your actions can’t impact me.

You are treating masks as if they are seatbelts where the only real benefit is to the individual and it’s fair to say MYOB because that person can take the risk they want to take.

In this case your not wearing a mask can directly impact me and I certainly have a right to express my displeasure with you in that situation.

Asking someone to wear a mask is more akin to trying to prevent a drunk driver to getting behind the wheel of a car. Sure you could MYOB but that driver can cause harm or deaths to other innocent people and it’s not unreasonable to call them out for their actions.
Cool. I'm already well aware of the points you made about the impacts on others. That is what my whole point is...
Taking an unnecessary trip can also impact me. You could have or catch the disease at any place and not know you have it and spread it to others... even with a mask. We're in the midst of a pandemic, right?

My point is: pick one. If you're going to advertise that you're traveling in the midst of a pandemic, don't self-gratify with a story about how you valiantly corrected someone else on mask wearing. And vice versa.
I'm not saying it was wrong to do either, but to let the world know about both is lame AF.

Last edited by joecool1885; Aug 17, 2020 at 11:28 pm
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:14 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Just curious, how much is Ben worth? And how much do you generally make cultivating a blog as popular as his?
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Just curious, how much is Ben worth? And how much do you generally make cultivating a blog as popular as his?
This article seems to reasonably estimate it:
https://www.sanspotter.com/2019/08/b...pig-net-worth/
Old Aug 18, 2020, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The ad revenue may be about right (pre corona, knock off 66% now) but the card revenue is 10x higher at an educated guess.

i earn £10 ($13) on some cards in the UK where Ben earns $300, his audience is probably 5x mine but my card revenue is still enough to pay 3 staff and an expensive central London office.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 2:52 am

So what’s he worth? The 1-5 million club or 10 million plus?
Old Aug 18, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
There's no "generally" when it comes to his blog. When it comes to miles and points blogs, it's TPG in the top tier, then Gary/Ben and a few others, then the rest of us.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Omaat and vftw made millions in the past 10 years and hopefully squirreled them away. With the blogosphere constantly evolving the worth of the website is up in the air.
GUWonder and bitterproffit like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Omaat and vftw made millions in the past 10 years and hopefully squirreled them away. With the blogosphere constantly evolving the worth of the website is up in the air.

He’s made his blog out into a political gaslight leftist program. It’s not even about aviation anymore and he’s a multimillionaire. Why not just sell the blog and go off to an island with Ford?
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:27 am

He’s made his blog out into a political gaslight leftist program. It’s not even about aviation anymore and he’s a multimillionaire. Why not just sell the blog and go off to an island with Ford?
A few million $ isn't going to get you very far.....
kokonutz, GUWonder and Adam1222 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I don't think you know what the word gaslight means.
GUWonder and mikex163 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
We get that you don't like what you perceive to be Ben's politics. And you don't like his blog. So why do you keep reading, and posting the same complaint here?
mikex163 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.