Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I must say that my blog is the best I review other blogs, praise them about original and hepful content and blast them when they deserve it. Regarding being tainted about credit card links....it is here to stay. No doubt most started doing this because of passion (including me) and most have now become Chase/Flex Offers affiliate companies b*tches (not me yet ).

This blogging thing is HARD, no doubt about it after me doing it doing it for 5 weeks every day now! No doubt bloggers should get compensated for their hard work and for what they offer (hopefully original & helpful content). There are ways to do it in a dignified, classy manner or there is a relentless, hurt your eye sockets with cc links, pimping way. Then again, if you don't take the 2nd route, Chase/FlexOffer affiliates may pull the rug under you suddenly! It is a very slippery slope indeed...

NOTHING comes close to the easy money from aff cc links, NOTHING! The way to avoid them & get enough income coming in from other sources is still possible but it takes a VERY long time to build your audience!

Now, back to the original purpose of the thread, what are you specifically interested in the frequent traveler (miles/points) world, perhaps I could direct you to the best blog out there?

Regular blogs are kind of stale, I mean, how many times would you read about all the features of the Ink cards?? I make my blog fun blogging about guns, cocaine, oral sex and stuff like that. If you don't laugh, you money back, mega lol!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I must say that my blog is the best I review other blogs, praise them about original and hepful content and blast them when they deserve it. Regarding being tainted about credit card links....it is here to stay. No doubt most started doing this because of passion (including me) and most have now become Chase/Flex Offers affiliate companies b*tches (not me yet ).
Why do you say most started blogs because of their passion? It's a fairly interesting hobby if you're pretty Type-A, but a "passion" for credit card churning seems excessive. Perhaps that comment would have applied several years ago with the originators, but it's hard to say that suddenly loads of people developed "passion" for Chase Sapphire cards... If I started a blog at this point, it would be purely for credit card referrals.

This blogging thing is HARD, no doubt about it after me doing it doing it for 5 weeks every day now! No doubt bloggers should get compensated for their hard work and for what they offer (hopefully original & helpful content). There are ways to do it in a dignified, classy manner or there is a relentless, hurt your eye sockets with cc links, pimping way. Then again, if you don't take the 2nd route, Chase/FlexOffer affiliates may pull the rug under you suddenly! It is a very slippery slope indeed...
Why should bloggers be compensated for their hard work if they're adding no value? At least you hope they add value I guess... Should everyone who does something hard be compensated, even if what they did adds no value? Almost no travel blog adds any value

NOTHING comes close to the easy money from aff cc links, NOTHING! The way to avoid them & get enough income coming in from other sources is still possible but it takes a VERY long time to build your audience!
So one one hard it's hard to blog, but on the other the money is great? And you've been doing this for...5 weeks? Do you really think you're experienced enough to speak knowingly about building an audience, which you admit takes a long time to do?

Now, back to the original purpose of the thread, what are you specifically interested in the frequent traveler (miles/points) world, perhaps I could direct you to the best blog out there?

Regular blogs are kind of stale, I mean, how many times would you read about all the features of the Ink cards?? I make my blog fun blogging about guns, cocaine, oral sex and stuff like that. If you don't laugh, you money back, mega lol!
I do most of my blog browsing during downtime at work when I have a few minutes between assignments, so it sounds like I would never visit your blog given the seemingly graphic content. Hopefully your blog posts are more informed and better-written than your FT posts at least...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Mr elBulli:

Thank you for your comments and insults, I like it Let me give you some background of where I am coming from as I see you are fairly new to FlyerTalk. I 've been following this space since the mid 90s and have been on FT since 2000. I know personally lots of the bloggers and am familiar with most. I have earned gazillions of miles blah blah blah...

>>>>>>>>>>>Why do you say most started blogs because of their passion? It's a fairly interesting hobby if you're pretty Type-A, but a "passion" for credit card churning seems excessive. Perhaps that comment would have applied several years ago with the originators, but it's hard to say that suddenly loads of people developed "passion" for Chase Sapphire cards... If I started a blog at this point, it would be purely for credit card referrals.

The old guard all started because of passion. No, this is not a passion. It is an addiction, it's stronger than crack. The underlying trait is we all like to travel and we just LOVE the game of chasing miles/points/upgrades/lounges/etc. Yes, there have been quite a few new bloggers who got into the game ONLY because of the credit card referral money, true! Expect more!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Why should bloggers be compensated for their hard work if they're adding no value? At least you hope they add value I guess... Should everyone who does something hard be compensated, even if what they did adds no value? Almost no travel blog adds any value.

Bloggers will be compensated for hard work even if they are not adding any value simply because...there are way too many newbies who do not know any better. Why consumers keep buying whole life insurance policies or equity index annuities? Same principle applies here too! Yes, some blogs do add value! "Almost no travel blog adds any value" is, in my own opinion, flat out wrong. Yes, blogs add value, some a lot, most not much, many offer nada.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>So one one hard it's hard to blog, but on the other the money is great? And you've been doing this for...5 weeks? Do you really think you're experienced enough to speak knowingly about building an audience, which you admit takes a long time to do?

Fyi, I have not sold out and have had NO revenues at all. I do not have any ads or credit card referrals on my site, do not confuse me with the others please. I have talked about starting my own blog for many years...I just move slow, what can I say? For 5 weeks I must admit I am doing pretty good considering my complete lack of techie skills. It is an absolute time suck but at the same time I am enjoying it. I LOVE the supportive comments and emails I get. I think I add value. Biggest value add is the laughs my readers enjoy. And I feel like I am contributing to make this community a better place!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I do most of my blog browsing during downtime at work when I have a few minutes between assignments, so it sounds like I would never visit your blog given the seemingly graphic content. Hopefully your blog posts are more informed and better-written than your FT posts at least...

"seemingly graphic content": LOL, that was funny.
"Hopefully your blog posts are more informed and better-written than your FT posts at least...": LOL. One word of advice for you rookie: lurk a bit more and contribute something, thank you!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elBulli
Why should bloggers be compensated for their hard work if they're adding no value? At least you hope they add value I guess... Should everyone who does something hard be compensated, even if what they did adds no value? Almost no travel blog adds any value
This is funny. If a blog doesn't add any value, it does not get patronized, and as a result, there wouldn't be anyone to click on that affiliate link. Are you even aware that you gotta build some following before CCs even start talking to you?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:54 pm

You don't need to add any value on boardingarea to post affiliate links. That is demonstrated by quite a few bloggers there.

Similarly, blogger A and B could equally add equal value, but if A pimps affiliate links at every opportunity while B exercises restraint, who gets more affiliate clicks? Those of us who know better give the referrals to B, but I suspect A will get more clicks.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mnscout
If a blog doesn't add any value, it does not get patronized,. . .
I'll leave you to think about this line of logic for a moment. But as a hint, the gpapdope guy addressed this point in the post directly above yours.

Originally Posted by mnscout
Are you even aware that you gotta build some following before CCs even start talking to you?
Yes. Or just get on BoardingArea I'm told.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:10 am

>>>>>>>>>>>Similarly, blogger A and B could equally add equal value, but if A pimps affiliate links at every opportunity while B exercises restraint, who gets more affiliate clicks? Those of us who know better give the referrals to B, but I suspect A will get more clicks.

You are probably right! I wish there was a way we can measure this but there will never be one! I also think B will be around much longer than A?

elBulli: Don't believe what you are told. And keep learning here!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
With 1100 followers, you have no credibility.
As for the guy with 8000 + followers, now he has street cred.

dh
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I must say that my blog is the best
The topic was " most useful", which may go to FM, but yours is "most entertaining".

As for 3 other biggies, I refuse to use their links after lurking and learning here, especially the one who shot the arrows that likely killed OD.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:57 pm

dhammer 53 and ThereYaGo: You guys are killing me
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

For 5 weeks I must admit I am doing pretty good considering my complete lack of techie skills.
You should really work on those tech skills (although designing a blog is hardly technical).... your blog really lacks some essential features and is a pain to read.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 3:19 am
In memoriam

Okay, went and looked at travelbloggerbuzz.blogspot.com

It looks pretty useful, but, I agree with the comment that it needs a redesign. Quite difficult to read the way it is presently laid out.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Hm, read TPG this morning and may change my mind on the OD slayer. 20k at a pop will shut some stuff down. TPG is now labeled "second least useful".

As for most useful, MV too.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:51 pm

RTW1 and biggestbopper: I absolutely agree that the design of my blog absolutely sucks! I am focusing on the content only right now. Actually, trying to keep up with all them dam* blogs is becoming increasingly unmanageable! Please remember this is a labor of love. I have no filler posts, no ads of any kind, no guest posts, no no contributing/managing editors and you will never see pics and arrows It will improve...eventually if I stick with it.

ThereYaGo: The same $20k figure stuck out with me too. It has rightfully earned a place in my "Not Best Of" category, rant calling him & his boss on this coming tomorrow. This whole field is just getting way out hand, it is hilarious to watch really...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:26 pm

OD Slayer?

Yes, I threw out that 20k figure, kind of in the spirit of Mr. Pickles or the Pudding guy sharing their true million mile exploits long after their deals ended. Do you really think I have that much power to shut down VR at OD? Did Mr. Pickles kill the mint (before the WSJ)? FM blogged in October about how the 50k limit for Bold cards was calculated. Do your really think that others are not maxing out 50k on their Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards?

Perhaps I should have just said "larger quantities" instead of 20k, but so what, the deal is long dead. Is it the fact that I did it in one trip? Would you feel better if I went to OD 40 times?

I will say it again. VR at OD got shut down for fraud. I was told that directly from OD managers. People bought VR on stolen credit cards. The ODs in my area were very happy to sell me as much as much as I wanted to buy, and Chase was and is happy for my business. Trust me, I use my Inks and other Chase cards for plenty of spending outside of OD.

If you want to come up with an arbitrary number that represents how far you personally want to take a deal, that's great. Please follow that when you churn cards, take mileage runs, etc. For me, I will try to find as many points and miles as I can for me and my family.

Finally, I am a freelancer, I don't personally make money from affiliate links, I just enjoy writing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.