Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Oh I dunno looks ripped off from VFTW: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...hasing-travel/

But maybe I've come to expect TPG posts to be cribbed from the other blogs without attribution, things seem to show up their last, re-written from others' content and rarely giving credit.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
Oh I dunno looks ripped off from VFTW:
Plagiarism is a serious accusation, and I don't see evidence of it here. While there is some overlap both articles contain substantial material not included in the other. For example, the View from the Wing piece discusses Expedia's Business Rewards, not mentioned at all in the The Points Guy article. Likewise, TPG discusses buying hotel giftcards, and there is nothing about this in the VFTW article.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
It was not my intention to suggest it was copied IN ITS ENTIRETY. However TPG has removed posts from his blog in the past after whole paragraphs were indeed shown to have been lifted from other sources e.g. a destination of the week post a few weeks ago.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Oh I dunno looks ripped off from VFTW:
... TPG has removed posts from his blog in the past
The claim was that this specific article looks "ripped off" from the one written by someone else in September. I want to understand the basis on which the statement is justified. Comparing the two I find very little similarity.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I prefer to do original content, but it's tough. You need so many posts to keep readers returning on a regular basis. It's a tough line to follow ... it's why I just contribute to Scottrick's blog rather than keep my own.

Not only that, but there are so many ideas out there that I prefer to keep to PM or DOs/meetups ... I also fear that wide dissemination of certain things will kill deals/loopholes.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Oh I dunno looks ripped off from VFTW: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...hasing-travel/

But maybe I've come to expect TPG posts to be cribbed from the other blogs without attribution, things seem to show up their last, re-written from others' content and rarely giving credit.
I don't think this was plagiarized. With lack of new credit card offers this type of blogger is running out of ideas how to plug in his credit card links. So far he has covered maximizing Starbucks, Red Lobster and other restaurants and now its turn for hotel gift card riddle. Im thinking whats left out there. Prepaid T-Mobile cards (check), Home Depot/Lowes (check), Amazon Gift Cards (Check), Bed Bath and Beyond. There we go, free tip on how to maximize you body soap purchases and re-fills on soda magic machines.
Thank me later JS.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I think we can all agree that is VERY tough to come up with true original and GOOD content and, most importantly, do it consistently!

And we can all agree that pushing affiliate credit card links is very lucrative.

I need to go to bed.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
We've reached a new low....

We've gone from Flyertalk members complaining about bloggers relying on content produced by FT members to push credit card referrals to bloggers complaining about "bloggers" that rely on other bloggers for content.

Unless you have several people writing for a blog I'm going to guess that it is extremely difficult to produce original content on a daily basis that is worth reading. Go on to boardingarea and you'll see some really lazy work.. where the bloggers just take stories from other boardingarea bloggers and provide color commentary. When a big "story" breaks you'll notice that a majority of bloggers only found out about the information from another blog.
indeedy ^
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
indeedy ^
agreed with LufthansaFlyer as well
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I think we can all agree that is VERY tough to come up with true original and GOOD content and, most importantly, do it consistently!

And we can all agree that pushing affiliate credit card links is very lucrative.

I need to go to bed.
But its so much easier to have 4 useless daily posts plus occasional amazing deal alert with inferior sign-up bonus. They all make great doorway pages in search results for noobs.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by fishdance
But its so much easier to have 4 useless daily posts plus occasional amazing deal alert with inferior sign-up bonus. They all make great doorway pages in search results for noobs.
Sooner or later they will pay the price for taking the NOOBS for granted. I really believe that the NOOBS of today are more informed and more savvy then those of yesterday and I expect that trend to continue
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I just posted one for people not so new to the game, about why using credit card miles to fund your travel is a bad idea.

I'm sure nobody has ever thought of this ever before!!!

Ok well maybe a couple of people have, but they didn't use photos!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
I just posted one for people not so new to the game, about why using credit card miles to fund your travel is a bad idea.

I'm sure nobody has ever thought of this ever before!!!

Ok well maybe a couple of people have, but they didn't use photos!
You can't cut Sapphire card. Its made out of metal.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
You can't cut Sapphire card. Its made out of metal.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...chase-card.jpg

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...-destroyed-it/

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 21, 2013 at 10:13 am Reason: deleted IMG tags - image too large for FT - and left URL links
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Delta Points

Nice! And only 7 ref-links to CC applications in a post dedicated to cutting your card! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.