Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by mxqisit
Does booking early (i.e.: T-330days or whenever tickets first open) increase the odds of SAUA accepting?
Probably. EVA has something like a 359 day booking window. If your *A miles allow you to upgrade then your odds will be pretty high. Increase your odds by calling EVA before booking to confirm upgrade space.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by krispykrme
again- I had proved you are wrong in this.
It is not possible to disprove consensus.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:30 pm

Upgraded my BR35/BR36 (YYZ-TPE-YYZ) flights from P to I for September at the end of last month despite there not showing any Aeroplan/United MP award availability. For $1400 to/from NRT it was the best deal out there. Considering Y+ was around the same price.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
Upgraded my BR35/BR36 (YYZ-TPE-YYZ) flights from P to I for September at the end of last month despite there not showing any Aeroplan/United MP award availability. For $1400 to/from NRT it was the best deal out there. Considering Y+ was around the same price.
Just to confirm: Your search for full award redemption showed no availability, but you were able to upgrade via SAUA?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Datapoint here: just upgraded 12/14 ORD-TPE via UA SAUA. I class not available as per Expertflyer. Didn’t call to check Z class.

Interestingly I was ticketed ORD-TPE-HKG with a 1hr connection in TPE, but the ORD-TPE upgrade went through fine and I didn’t encounter the married segment problem.

EDIT: changed some wording for clarification.

Last edited by shd9; Apr 4, 2019 at 5:45 pm
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by shd9
Datapoint here: just upgraded 12/14 ORD-TPE via UA SAUA. I class not available as per Expertflyer. Didn’t call to check Z class.

Interestingly I was ticketed ORD-TPE-HKG with a 1hr connection in TPE, but the whole upgrade went through fine and I didn’t encounter the married segment problem.
Could you clarify what you mean by the "whole" upgrade went through? Did you upgrade both segments for 60k (30k * 2), both for 30k, or one for 30k miles?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Could you clarify what you mean by the "whole" upgrade went through? Did you upgrade both segments for 60k (30k * 2), both for 30k, or one for 30k miles?
Sorry for the misunderstanding. By "whole" I mean the entire upgrade process (searching availability on United, making a request, getting the UA upgrade receipt, confirming on BR that I am booked in Royal Laurel/Z and assigning me a seat, etc), not both segments. I mentioned this because some poster suggests there may be a married segment issue preventing the upgrade from happening, while I didn't encounter that problem. I feel that TPE-HKG is too short for C to worth it and by having a B class ticket I can assign myself a seat in PY anyways.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by shd9
Sorry for the misunderstanding. By "whole" I mean the entire upgrade process (searching availability on United, making a request, getting the UA upgrade receipt, confirming on BR that I am booked in Royal Laurel/Z and assigning me a seat, etc), not both segments. I mentioned this because some poster suggests there may be a married segment issue preventing the upgrade from happening, while I didn't encounter that problem. I feel that TPE-HKG is too short for C to worth it and by having a B class ticket I can assign myself a seat in PY anyways.
Got it. Thanks for clarifying! Good to know sometimes things do go smoothly. Enjoy the upgrade!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:46 pm

My SAUA just went through for our 4/11 flight. All 3 of us too!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by XFer2
My SAUA just went through for our 4/11 flight. All 3 of us too!
Congratulations! EVA does typically release a few seats near departure depending on loads but I am not sure I would have the guts to cut it as close as you. Are you still waiting on the return upgrades?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Congratulations! EVA does typically release a few seats near departure depending on loads but I am not sure I would have the guts to cut it as close as you. Are you still waiting on the return upgrades?
Well I do my due diligence and hope for the best, and it worked out. Just transferred my next batch of 90K miles from Chase to United and will be checking it every day for my return flight. It's not looking that good since we're 9 days out and only 12 seats left.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:43 pm

Well I do my due diligence and hope for the best, and it worked out. Just transferred my next batch of 90K miles from Chase to United and will be checking it every day for my return flight. It's not looking that good since we're 9 days out and only 12 seats left.
You probably have flex or semi-flex tickets though so probably it would only be a small change fee to switch flights for the return. I would be checking alternate flights to see if any had upgrade space and would happily pay a small change fee to get a flight with upgrade space.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:50 pm

Someone posted on the Aeroplan/AC forum that reward seats appear to be opening up at T-4, I'd imagine upgrades could be on the same schedule.

Quoted:

Originally Posted by svirac
I’ve been keeping an eye on BR award space, specifically on BR35 (ex YYZ), since one leg of an original OZ booking was cancelled and now have a 6+ hour layover.

BR seems to be opening last-minute I space for international flights at T-4 consistently, no earlier. T-14 definitely not, at least not in recent months. Might be a decent baseline if anyone’s looking. Obviously ExpertFlyer alerts are your best bet.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:41 pm

I was just checking for upgrade for my return flight, and got this blank warning message. I verified all info was entered correctly, and tried on 2 different browsers. Anyone know what this warning message is?

Last edited by XFer2; Apr 10, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I was just checking for upgrade for my return flight, and got this blank warning message. I verified all info was entered correctly, and tried on 2 different browsers. Anyone know what this warning message is?
When you make a reservation on EVA you sometimes are required to put in your name like this

FamilyName FirstNameMiddleNam

e.g. For Mary Anne Smith

Smith Maryanne

look in your EVA reservation online and do it exactly the same on the United upgrade page.

Hope this works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.