Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

EY Charging for most Y seat allocations from 15th July!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EY Charging for most Y seat allocations from 15th July!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by clubeurope

I frankly would assume a 9-abreast on a 777 seating wouldn’t be torturous per se, but I can’t say how it feels in a long haul... I haven’t also flown Y LH in years :P

then again, a bit OT, CX uses these ‘dated’ jets on shorter flights.

And back to topic, I am willing bet, that unfortunately, the other ‘full service’ airlines of the world will also start charging for seats... especially when the industry’s supposed ‘benchmarks’ for economy, SQ and EK have done so.
I have a feeling that JL and NH will never charge for selecting seats in Y.
They are the benchmarks in Y travel I think.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:17 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist
I have a feeling that JL and NH will never charge for selecting seats in Y.
They are the benchmarks in Y travel I think.
I would hope and imagine so....

I’d say JL in particular as the benchmark for Y travel, in the perspective of consumers... but EK and possibly SQ in business perspectives
EYrevanchist likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:25 am

I would hope and imagine so....

I’d say JL in particular as the benchmark for Y travel, in the perspective of consumers... but EK and possibly SQ in business perspectives
Named "clubeurope", you would hope that BA installs proper flatbeds or at a minimum EY style recliners - instead of offering a seat worse than Longhaul Y!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist
Named "clubeurope", you would hope that BA installs proper flatbeds or at a minimum EY style recliners - instead of offering a seat worse than Longhaul Y!
never gonna happen intra-Europe. Not even QR’s Air Italy would install such a product, even after (over) promising so much things. Europe and the ME are very different markets, and unfortunately 3 economy seats with a blocked middle is the norm in the EU

Not that I need a flat seat on short-haul flights... but would be nice nevertheless.

still hoping for the best for next years’s new Club World seat though
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:35 am

never gonna happen intra-Europe. Not even QR’s Air Italy would install such a product, even after (over) promising so much things. Europe and the ME are very different markets, and unfortunately 3 economy seats with a blocked middle is the norm in the EU

Not that I need a flat seat on short-haul flights... but would be nice nevertheless.

still hoping for the best for next years’s new Club World seat though
May not count as Europe, but Belavia, Rossiya, Turkish, Ukraine, Aeroflot and new A3 narrowbodies have proper recliners. Some Rossiya narrowbodies even have flatbeds ))
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Just booked a return LHR-BKK Flight in Y for the end of August . I didn't bother with the double miles offer , because there is no real value in that anymore . I opted for the economy deal ticket , because earning miles is no longer beneficial...Regarding the seat selection , I didn't bother either , because that would add an additional £64 to the over inflated price of £532 + £64 to £596 compared to Oman and Qatar in the £450 range ( then adding for seat selection ).....Being a bit of a gambler I'm opting for the free seat selection 24 hours before departure , because having been gold for 9 years now , and knowing how the boffins in AUH work , ( sorry , the brain dead jobsworth , that thinks up these how to pi$$ off loyal customers, ideas ) , I think ( by using a % risk ) I've found a way around this ....i will keep you all informed of the outcome ......the main reason for this challenge is I still remain gold for a further year ,have enough miles to have one more J upgrade before Christmas ( sorry X-MASS ) could be the masses leaving the UK after brexit , or haven't quite left ) ...back to reality...should it all backfire and i could easily status match with TK or Oman , or switch back to Thai , where I was gold for 11 years before joining what was a fantastic boutique airline ....
Baresi and JayCee1966 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by ellielovesem
I booked a flight a couple of weeks ago and selected seats. I just logged into my booking and it was showing the charges for all seats but was still showing my seat selections. I was hoping they would honour these selections but I'll have to keep an eye on it per the above.

This will be my first time using Etihad and I'm pretty disappointed by this. I fly regularly to SYD and most Y flights are at a similar price point so I was thinking that Etihad might be my new favourite as I wouldn't have to factor in the cost of reserving! Standard seat is £18.90 though which is on the lower end of fees between airlines.
There seems to be evidence on the Facebook page of these pre-selected (bookings prior to July 15th) seats not being honoured and families split across the cabin on the day of flight.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Dubh
There seems to be evidence on the Facebook page of these pre-selected (bookings prior to July 15th) seats not being honoured and families split across the cabin on the day of flight.
alas, if so, history repeats itself again. There are many cases of airline pre-selected seats not honoured when a new paid seat selection fee is introduced
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Etihad Gold
My partner, Plat flying Y, wasn't able to choose an aisle seat for free on his LHR-AUH leg anytime within 24h period before the flight, even though the flight was showing available aisle seats. There is either a bug in the system or they just want you to pay. Once he got to the airport they managed to give him an aisle seat but refused to give a boarding pass for the second leg, AUH-SYD, for which he also asked an aisle seat(and it was 70% full in economy), as the system said that he needs to pay. As the flight was delayed, he only had 20 min at AUH so he asked there for a boarding pass and was given an aisle seat in the end. Basically, what they said about being able to choose seat 24h before the flight was just not working...
Travelix likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:57 pm

On my recent outbound from LHR -BKK I was offered 44A in Y on the A380 to AUH , 24 hours before departure I moved myself to 80A at the rear thinking the flight was empty , because the seat map showed so , big mistake , the flight was full ( so it shows no-one is paying extra to book a seat ). On checking my boarding pass for the connecting flight to BKK , I noticed my sequence number was 33 ( that's the amount of people checked in before me ) , strange , empty flight. I was assigned 23A . On boarding I had 2 people sat next to me ( the front of Y was full ) , I asked to move to the rear ( indeed empty ) and was given 4 seats in the middle ....So my thinking is this , while Etihad tried to assign me to my favourite seat ( window ) at the front of the plane , why didn't they take into consideration the BKK flight being empty , and move me further back on check-in.....Just to add , I had very mixed feelings about both flights ....LHR-AUH , no welcoming , no status on board ( being gold for 9 years ) in fact , no nothing .....AUH-BKK , welcomed on board , pre take off soft drink offered , moved to 4 seats , business quilt , early food ( which was very good ) and fast track on arrival in BKK. ....It was like flying two different airlines .......just to finish , the LHR lounge is not closing this month , as speculated by others
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by tommy123
On my recent outbound from LHR -BKK I was offered 44A in Y on the A380 to AUH , 24 hours before departure I moved myself to 80A at the rear thinking the flight was empty , because the seat map showed so , big mistake , the flight was full ( so it shows no-one is paying extra to book a seat ). On checking my boarding pass for the connecting flight to BKK , I noticed my sequence number was 33 ( that's the amount of people checked in before me ) , strange , empty flight. I was assigned 23A . On boarding I had 2 people sat next to me ( the front of Y was full ) , I asked to move to the rear ( indeed empty ) and was given 4 seats in the middle ....So my thinking is this , while Etihad tried to assign me to my favourite seat ( window ) at the front of the plane , why didn't they take into consideration the BKK flight being empty , and move me further back on check-in.....Just to add , I had very mixed feelings about both flights ....LHR-AUH , no welcoming , no status on board ( being gold for 9 years ) in fact , no nothing .....AUH-BKK , welcomed on board , pre take off soft drink offered , moved to 4 seats , business quilt , early food ( which was very good ) and fast track on arrival in BKK. ....It was like flying two different airlines .......just to finish , the LHR lounge is not closing this month , as speculated by others
I haven't been welcomed on board flying Y for about 7 years. I have never been given a J blanket or offered anything to drink. I am currently GOLD and have been silver or gold for the last ten years. Certainly very inconsistent.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
I haven't been welcomed on board flying Y for about 7 years. I have never been given a J blanket or offered anything to drink. I am currently GOLD and have been silver or gold for the last ten years. Certainly very inconsistent.
​​​​​​I've always had better experiences on the AUH-BKK route than to and from LHR , which is indeed very inconsistent
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by tommy123
.......just to finish , the LHR lounge is not closing this month , as speculated by others
It's Manchester instead.

The decline continues----now we lose the Manchester lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.