Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

EY Charging for most Y seat allocations from 15th July!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EY Charging for most Y seat allocations from 15th July!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite, EY Silver, VS Silver
I just got off the phone with the Etihad India and they let me know that the way it works was for any flight before July 15th, seat selection was free. Any flights after July 15th, even if booked before are still going to be charged for seat selection. I don't know if it was only me, but the way I read the e-mail I assumed that if I booked my flight beforehand, I would be able to select seats for free.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:05 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by EYrevanchist
In J, EY is still better than CX NoY
No F...... way . I have flown both multiple times & way prefer CX over EY in J, plus with the CX F lounges to enjoy in HKG - no brainer.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NoY
No F...... way . I have flown both multiple times & way prefer CX over EY in J, plus with the CX F lounges to enjoy in HKG - no brainer.
In F CX is better, but in J EY catering and seat is superior.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:52 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

In F CX is better, but in J EY catering and seat is superior.
depends which EY seat you're talking about
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
depends which EY seat you're talking about
On the a320 and old 777 EY are worse, but other than that CX lags behind. I actually had expectations when I flew CX but was thoroughly dissapointed. I am talking about J
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:13 am

On the a320 and old 777 EY are worse, but other than that CX lags behind. I actually had expectations when I flew CX but was thoroughly dissapointed. I am talking about J
Yes, I was referring to J. Apart from the Business Studio, I feel CX’s long haul seat is far superior than the usual staggered seats on EY’s 777s and A330s. I guess its a personal preference, as I don’t actually like the staggered seats EY uses I find it’s limited enclosed storage to be annoying.

catering wise... well... CX hasn’t had the best reputation for food lately
NoY and EYrevanchist like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by ss1710
I just got off the phone with the Etihad India and they let me know that the way it works was for any flight before July 15th, seat selection was free. Any flights after July 15th, even if booked before are still going to be charged for seat selection. I don't know if it was only me, but the way I read the e-mail I assumed that if I booked my flight beforehand, I would be able to select seats for free.
I booked a flight a couple of weeks ago and selected seats. I just logged into my booking and it was showing the charges for all seats but was still showing my seat selections. I was hoping they would honour these selections but I'll have to keep an eye on it per the above.

This will be my first time using Etihad and I'm pretty disappointed by this. I fly regularly to SYD and most Y flights are at a similar price point so I was thinking that Etihad might be my new favourite as I wouldn't have to factor in the cost of reserving! Standard seat is £18.90 though which is on the lower end of fees between airlines.

Last edited by ellielovesem; Jul 15, 2018 at 10:04 am
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by ellielovesem
I booked a flight a couple of weeks ago and selected seats. I just logged into my booking and it was showing the charges for all seats but was still showing my seat selections. I was hoping they would honour these selections but I'll have to keep an eye on it per the above.

This will be my first time using Etihad and I'm pretty disappointed by this. I'm fly regularly to SYD and most Y flights are at a similar price point so I was thinking that Etihad might be my new favourite as I wouldn't have to factor in the cost of reserving! Standard seat is £18.90 though which is on the lower end of fees between airlines.
This is a very unfortunate trend within full service airlines with previously free seat selections, like Singapore Airlines and Emirates to name a few.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:04 am

This is a very unfortunate trend within full service airlines with previously free seat selections, like Singapore Airlines and Emirates to name a few.
It certainly is unfortunate, for a UK-US flight I'd normally risk waiting until online check-in but I couldn't risk not getting an aisle seat for a flight down under so normally end up paying. It just seems like penny pinching but Y flights can be pretty cheap these days (I'm paying £675 for travel in November) so I guess they want to get extra cash from somewhere.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by NoY
“free toys”etc.....what rubbish. EY are removing previously published/earned/paid for benefits at an alarmingly regular rate. This will not resolve their problems. They are losing business as a result. I am pleased to say. Am looking forward to my CX flights next month
I stand by my free toys...perks are always temporary in my view. enjoy while it lasts. And btw CX in the back of a T7 can be quite a dated experience, with no WiFi on most birds.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by yapak2
I stand by my free toys...perks are always temporary in my view. enjoy while it lasts. And btw CX in the back of a T7 can be quite a dated experience, with no WiFi on most birds.
Dated can be good at times... it's either 9 abreast economy or 10 abreast with wifi...
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:05 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by yapak2
I wouldn’t know - nor do I care - J & F exclusively for me.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
I wouldn’t know - nor do I care - J & F exclusively for me.
Same here, I support the seperation of J and Y. Y is a cheap flying product for the masses that differentiates with price between airlines. J is a product that offers a good soft and hard product (both of which were fulfilled by EY on the 787/380 in 14/15). Wifi is a useless amenity to me, good if it provided free of cost but not something that I would pay for. Most of my flying is in J, but I occasionally fly F when the price or miles justify it.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:16 pm

Dated can be good at times... it's either 9 abreast economy or 10 abreast with wifi...
both are equally tortueorus I would think, but all my Y flying has been on short flights operated by narrowbodies for the past five years.
clubeurope likes this.

Last edited by EYrevanchist; Jul 16, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:49 am

both are equally tortueorus I would think, but all my Y flying has been on short flights operated by narrowbodies for the past five years.
I frankly would assume a 9-abreast on a 777 seating wouldn’t be torturous per se, but I can’t say how it feels in a long haul... I haven’t also flown Y LH in years :P

then again, a bit OT, CX uses these ‘dated’ jets on shorter flights.

And back to topic, I am willing bet, that unfortunately, the other ‘full service’ airlines of the world will also start charging for seats... especially when the industry’s supposed ‘benchmarks’ for economy, SQ and EK have done so.
EYrevanchist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.