Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2016, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MatthewLAX
Original discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/1624033-f-lounge-auh3-open-still-waiting-2016-a.html

Review with 100+ photos - link (blog)
Print Wikipost

F lounge in AUH opened 30MAY2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:16 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by southsidesilver View Post
I will be there next week. Probably arriving at 10am. Will I have trouble being served any alcohol from 10am - noon due to Ramadan ?
No alcohol during the day.
Well that puts a damper on my fun lounge time.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by gerrit75
I'm going to try out the F lounge tomorrow. What about the showers? How do they compare to the ones in the business lounge?
Originally Posted by amnicoll
The first class one uses Champagne whereas the business one water.
LOL! But which brands of champagne and water?

Originally Posted by Nizar
Have you been to Al-Safwa ? How about AF F ? The QF SYD/MEL lounges ? Or EK F ? CX Pier ?

I'd be keen to see where these lie in your ranking.
Regrettably, I've not been to any of these. So take my ranking with the appropriate grain of salt.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
No couches ?????? That's ridiculous, a first class lounge needs to have SPACE to stretch out. I just flew out on EK from the B lounge (I prefer it to A) and my favorite part is I can have the chef cook me what I want AND HAVE IT SERVED WHEREVER I AM.....no need to sit in the dining area. Is it the same with the new Etihad lounge or if you want a proper meal do you need to sit in the "restaurant "??? Also, can you have dinner items at breakfast time or VV??
Good questions. Having spent 6+ hours in the EY F lounge from about 8 pm to 2 am, my impression is that it never got very crowded at all and that there was lots of room to spread out even without couches.

Given the high level of service in the lounge, it wouldn't surprise me if you could order food to eat anywhere...though you might more comfortably dine at the tables in the restaurant area. But I didn't ask about eating outside that area. No idea whether you can eat breakfast during dinner hours, etc.

Originally Posted by SFO777
This makes sense when you think about the past 2 years. Sounds like the initial "F lounge is being renovated" line was basically a lie as EY hoped to not have to do anything until the new terminal opens. As time passed, they decided that, from a competitive standpoint, perhaps they did need to do something in the interim and the result is what we have now.
This sounds like a sound explanation to me. And as if we didn't know better by now, it also reinforces the notion that no one should hold his/her breath waiting for the new terminal to open, regardless of what target dates EY puts out there.

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
This might be slightly off topic, but is the TG F lounge really that good? The photos I've seen don't look great and buggy service is inconsistent.
Originally Posted by as219
Can't speak to inconsistency, but the food, the buggy rides, the 1 hour full-body Thai massage + spa, the semi-private rooms... It's a pretty excellent experience all around. Not sleek and polished like LH's FCT, but then again Asian hospitality is different than German.
+1 on all counts, including the two different but equally fine approaches to service. Your experience of the TG F lounge could also hinge a bit on how much time you have there and what time of day you get there. For longer layovers, it's more likely you'll be able to reserve the massage (since you can only reserve it once you get to the lounge, not beforehand) and get one of the semi-private rooms to open up.

It's OK but certainly not #1 on my list. IMO, the Air France La Première Lounge and experience at CDG beats them all.
Although I haven't yet been to Al-Safwa so can't compare.
I certainly will defer to SFO777 on the AF lounge/CDG experience. He has lots of valuable comparative experience in view of his travels far and wide via many different F cabins and lounges.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
It's OK but certainly not #1 on my list. IMO, the Air France La Première Lounge and experience at CDG beats them all.
Although I haven't yet been to Al-Safwa so can't compare.
IMO The Air France lounge is a notch above Al Safwa. But it's all personal preference. What's important to you? Food, comfort, do you smoke, etc. as a smoker I prefer EK's F lounge in B to them all. Some of the better lounges have nice cigar rooms, etc but these are not places you want to spend the entire time in. EK on the other hand put the smoking area at the far end of the lounge with big couches and you can order anything to eat right there. I realize this is a negative for most people but I hate having to get up and lock myself in a room (even if it's a nice cigar room) every time I want a cigarette.

As far as the Thai lounge, it's up there with the best but not at the top of the list. The private rooms are great but if you don't get one it can be quite uncomfortable
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:29 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Video review of lounge

The lounge was fantastic. I spent nearly 9 hours there on 6/6/16 and didn't want to leave. In fact I made a video.
I figure this will give everyone a better understanding of what the lounge looks like and the experience of the lounge.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:32 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Originally Posted by southsidesilver
I will be there next week. Probably arriving at 10am. Will I have trouble being served any alcohol from 10am - noon due to Ramadan ?
I was there on the eve of Ramadan and the staff confirmed the bar will remain open
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by DoubleWidesFly
The lounge was fantastic. I spent nearly 9 hours there on 6/6/16 and didn't want to leave. In fact I made a video.
YouTube video
I figure this will give everyone a better understanding of what the lounge looks like and the experience of the lounge.
Great video, DWF. You provide a great sense of the lounge. My only very slight quibbles are that it has more seating areas and larger dining areas than perhaps the video conveys. But again, these are really just quibbles.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:00 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Great video, DWF. You provide a great sense of the lounge. My only very slight quibbles are that it has more seating areas and larger dining areas than perhaps the video conveys. But again, these are really just quibbles.
3 minutes of just walking through the lounge would have been boring. There is honestly only room for maybe 150-200 people max. The just "lounging" area outside of the bar/restaurant is actually quite small. There are more photos on my blog Etihad Airways First Class Lounge Video Review, but the video really does show more of the lounge than anything else, hence why I share it
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 minutes of just walking through the lounge would have been boring. There is honestly only room for maybe 150-200 people max. The just "lounging" area outside of the bar/restaurant is actually quite small. There are more photos on my blog Etihad Airways First Class Lounge Video Review, but the video really does show more of the lounge than anything else, hence why I share it
And I'm glad you did! ^
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:26 pm

Great video . Is there a place for baggage storage? Just a carry-on size bag.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:31 pm
Company Representative, Etihad

Hi Kaiotes,
thanks for the nice words! We are happy you like it Yes, you find a place to store your bag, no worries. Have a great day! *Mia
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Hey everyone, as mentioned here's a Snapchat-style video of both First Class Apartments and the lounge, including a bit of the positioning flights on Indian low cost carrier Indigo and chauffeur drive and a view of my room at the Le Royal Meridien in Abu Dhabi.

Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

Great video. Thanks for sharing it. I'll be there again on Thursday. It's a shame about no daytime drinks though.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
YouTube video
I have a 10 hour layover next week.... I managed to get a free room at the St Regis in Abu Dhabi through their premium stopover program, but still debating if its worth it to go out of the airport to make the trek to the hotel, or just stay at the airport inside the new F lounge... 10 hours is a pretty long time, and while the lounge has everything, still seems it will be kind of boring with no private rooms available like in the LH F terminal, etc... and AUH is not a very exciting airport to just roam around in either...
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfung
I have a 10 hour layover next week.... I managed to get a free room at the St Regis in Abu Dhabi through their premium stopover program, but still debating if its worth it to go out of the airport to make the trek to the hotel, or just stay at the airport inside the new F lounge... 10 hours is a pretty long time, and while the lounge has everything, still seems it will be kind of boring with no private rooms available like in the LH F terminal, etc... and AUH is not a very exciting airport to just roam around in either...
Hmmm...what a nice choice! Having stayed in the St. Regis on a layover earlier this year, I'd say it's an extremely nice hotel to spend several hours in. But you could easily pass the time in the F lounge if you have some work to do and/or want to use the small gym to work out in. I found that my 6+ hours in the F lounge were easily consumed by the gym, a shave, meals at the start and near the end of my time there, a couple of drinks at the bar, a bit of work, etc. I didn't even have time for 25 minute massage treatment I would have shelled out $38 for (since I'd used my complimentary service for the shave).

Bear in mind that, after getting through the scrum of transit to get to the F lounge and then having to depart it for boarding (especially, if you're going through the pre-board process if departing for the USA), you're looking at something more like 8 or 8.5 hours in the lounge. Then again, taking into account the travel time and going through immigration both ways, perhaps you'd only have 6.5-7 hours at the St. R?

Also, bear in mind that if you're there during Ramadan, you can't get drinks in the lounge during daylight hours.

I guess the bottom line for me would be how tired I would be during the layover and whether I'd want to get work done. If likely to be tired, I'd opt to cool out and take a nice nap at the very pleasant St. R. If not tired and especially if wanting to get some work done, I'd take advantage of the various features of the lounge and simply hang out there.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Hmmm...what a nice choice! Having stayed in the St. Regis on a layover earlier this year, I'd say it's an extremely nice hotel to spend several hours in. But you could easily pass the time in the F lounge if you have some work to do and/or want to use the small gym to work out in. I found that my 6+ hours in the F lounge were easily consumed by the gym, a shave, meals at the start and near the end of my time there, a couple of drinks at the bar, a bit of work, etc. I didn't even have time for 25 minute massage treatment I would have shelled out $38 for (since I'd used my complimentary service for the shave).

Bear in mind that, after getting through the scrum of transit to get to the F lounge and then having to depart it for boarding (especially, if you're going through the pre-board process if departing for the USA), you're looking at something more like 8 or 8.5 hours in the lounge. Then again, taking into account the travel time and going through immigration both ways, perhaps you'd only have 6.5-7 hours at the St. R?

Also, bear in mind that if you're there during Ramadan, you can't get drinks in the lounge during daylight hours.

I guess the bottom line for me would be how tired I would be during the layover and whether I'd want to get work done. If likely to be tired, I'd opt to cool out and take a nice nap at the very pleasant St. R. If not tired and especially if wanting to get some work done, I'd take advantage of the various features of the lounge and simply hang out there.
Hmmm. We baked in an 8-hour layover at AUH en route to JFK that I assumed would be more than enough time to have a short visit in AD proper and take full advantage of the F lounge ... But your post has me wondering. Is 8 hours enough time to do both? We'd be arriving form CAI at 7:15pm, leaving on the 3:20am to JFK. Is including a city visit too much of a rush?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.