Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade J to F with miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by m3red
you can’t upgrade for 2 reasons 1] it’s not an EK no and 2] it’s a special which technically can’t be upgraded at all.
so only upgrade on board will be possible or not even? It’s a flight operated by EK
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:10 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by pvgman
so only upgrade on board will be possible or not even? It’s a flight operated by EK
No, Business Special fare is not upgradable at all.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
No, Business Special fare is not upgradable at all.
possibly onboard…if on ek number and you are silver and above
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:54 am

I was able to get my outbound flight sfo-dxb upgraded to F the other day for 2 pax. Once again auto upgrade didn't work, but I have been checking religiously multiple time a day for the last few weeks and the other night the upgrade showed available and I booked it. It became available at just under 5 days out. My J ticket was a business saver award. I had upgraded my connection a few weeks back so now I'm gonna fight it out with customer service to try and get the discounted redemption rate and 30k miles returned. I've heard people have mixed results with this, but can't hurt to ask.
smichelm and jordan408 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:35 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by ckaught78
I was able to get my outbound flight sfo-dxb upgraded to F the other day for 2 pax. Once again auto upgrade didn't work, but I have been checking religiously multiple time a day for the last few weeks and the other night the upgrade showed available and I booked it. It became available at just under 5 days out. My J ticket was a business saver award. I had upgraded my connection a few weeks back so now I'm gonna fight it out with customer service to try and get the discounted redemption rate and 30k miles returned. I've heard people have mixed results with this, but can't hurt to ask.
Please let us know if / when you are successful in getting the reduced rate. I have never heard from anyone who was successful with this but as you rightly say it can’t hurt to ask and a positive result would be a good data point?
smichelm likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by m3red
possibly onboard…if on ek number and you are silver and above
Even Blues can upgrade on board these days. Changed a while back.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat *G/DL Plat/Marriott Ti/WoH Glob
How many empty F seats were there at t minus ~5 days when the SFO-DXB leg cleared? I'm trying to upgrade this same flight next year and want to gauge likelihood of success.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by smichelm
How many empty F seats were there at t minus ~5 days when the SFO-DXB leg cleared? I'm trying to upgrade this same flight next year and want to gauge likelihood of success.
based on seat map from expertflyer their were 7 available at the time I upgraded.
smichelm likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:28 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Even Blues can upgrade on board these days. Changed a while back.
Also from J Special fares? I think that’s what the original question was about (from post 14 onwards)
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Please let us know if / when you are successful in getting the reduced rate. I have never heard from anyone who was successful with this but as you rightly say it can’t hurt to ask and a positive result would be a good data point?
If at first you don't succeed try and try again. I started with asking for the reduced mileage rate on twitter to which they replied it couldn't be done so I called them today and asked to speak to the skywards miles department regarding my rewards booking. The person I spoke with didn't question me at all and 5 minutes later the 31,200 mile difference between upgrading each leg separately and the discounted through rate were in my account.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 12:50 am
Ambassador, Emirates

If at first you don't succeed try and try again. I started with asking for the reduced mileage rate on twitter to which they replied it couldn't be done so I called them today and asked to speak to the skywards miles department regarding my rewards booking. The person I spoke with didn't question me at all and 5 minutes later the 31,200 mile difference between upgrading each leg separately and the discounted through rate were in my account.
That’s a fantastic result! Thanks for sharing and adding this data point.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Also, another data point to add... I recently flew DXB-JFK in J, and found out that at-airport mileage upgrades are prioritized by status. Perhaps it was like this in the past, but I've always gotten my upgrades at the airport. This time I failed... and P2 was served
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Also, another data point to add... I recently flew DXB-JFK in J, and found out that at-airport mileage upgrades are prioritized by status. Perhaps it was like this in the past, but I've always gotten my upgrades at the airport. This time I failed... and P2 was served
I flew DXB-LHR today on a Business Saver redemption and asked for upgrade using miles at checkin. This was denied and I had to ask the Skywards agent in the lounge. I was then told we’d be waitlisted according to status and therefore unlikely to clear as I’m a ‘blue’. She said to go back to desk one hour before departure. We did and to my surprise both my wife and I were upgraded to F so the system does work! Although I always thought you could claim an available seat at checkin rather than being waitlisted. Posting in case it helps someone in a similar position…
Metanoia likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by mattoo
I flew DXB-LHR today on a Business Saver redemption and asked for upgrade using miles at checkin. This was denied and I had to ask the Skywards agent in the lounge. I was then told we’d be waitlisted according to status and therefore unlikely to clear as I’m a ‘blue’. She said to go back to desk one hour before departure. We did and to my surprise both my wife and I were upgraded to F so the system does work! Although I always thought you could claim an available seat at checkin rather than being waitlisted. Posting in case it helps someone in a similar position…
Did you go back to the check in desk outside security, to the boarding gate desk or to the agent in the lounge?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by afmiami
Did you go back to the check in desk outside security, to the boarding gate desk or to the agent in the lounge?
To the agent in the lounge. However, we actually didn’t need to as we also
got notification of our upgrade via the Emirates app as it changed our digital boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.