Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade J to F with miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:36 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Is there a J to F bucket that is different from F simply being available?

I'm looking to upgrade a J award, which is set to auto-upgrade, and have been further searching online for any F availability in the event the auto-upgrade feature doesn't work. But, should I be calling into EK to see if there is some other upgrade availability?
Calling is good as the auto upgrade feature is unreliable.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 2:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by redeternet7
Isnt it theoretically possible to “book” a first seat in flex and then cancel it last minute before seeking an upgrade?
So, you want to book an F seat, cancel at the last minute, and then use points to upgrade?

Many problems with this :-

1. After you cancel the F booking, you'd then need to book a last minute J (probably at Flex Plus pricing). That could be eye-wateringly expensive.
2. Hope that J actually has some availability.
3. Hope that there was nobody waitlisted to get an F ticket.
4. Hope that there was nobody waitlisted to get an F upgrade.

If you were hoping to have both a J & F booking on the same flight, and then cancel the F booking, then this would probably get picked up as a duplicate booking. One of the bookings would be automatically cancelled.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:46 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
So, you want to book an F seat, cancel at the last minute, and then use points to upgrade?

Many problems with this :-

1. After you cancel the F booking, you'd then need to book a last minute J (probably at Flex Plus pricing). That could be eye-wateringly expensive.
2. Hope that J actually has some availability.
3. Hope that there was nobody waitlisted to get an F ticket.
4. Hope that there was nobody waitlisted to get an F upgrade.

If you were hoping to have both a J & F booking on the same flight, and then cancel the F booking, then this would probably get picked up as a duplicate booking. One of the bookings would be automatically cancelled.
I think what they are going for is purchase with cash a "fake" F ticket in a name that is not yours in order to take that seat out of inventory. Then just before you check in cancel it, thereby putting that seat back into inventory and opening it for an upgrade. I suppose there is nothing in theory from stopping you from doing this, but if Emirates catches on that could be an issue for you, and could ruin the current generous upgrade policy for everyone else if they feel people are gaming the policy.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by A4K
I think what they are going for is purchase with cash a "fake" F ticket in a name that is not yours in order to take that seat out of inventory. Then just before you check in cancel it, thereby putting that seat back into inventory and opening it for an upgrade. I suppose there is nothing in theory from stopping you from doing this, but if Emirates catches on that could be an issue for you, and could ruin the current generous upgrade policy for everyone else if they feel people are gaming the policy.
Agreed... perhaps mods should even delete parts of this thread to avoid people getting any ideas, the policy is very generous, and "hacks" from this forum ends up on the credit card-shiller blogs all the time.

This policy is the only reason I've gotten to fly EK F.. except for the 50% off miles sale they did in Q1 2017.
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
J to F wish cash

We booked J awards on a fairly short DXB AMM flight with Aeroplan. Is it possible to upgrade to F with cash at check in and what is the process? Any guesses on cost?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:20 pm

For awards and upgrades, does anyone know whether the fare bucket used for upgrade space from J to F is the same as the bucket used for F award space?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 4:06 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by agjil
For awards and upgrades, does anyone know whether the fare bucket used for upgrade space from J to F is the same as the bucket used for F award space?
Yes, Z bucket for both (assuming classic awards, not Flex+ awards). That’s why trying to book an award to check on miles upgrade works.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Yes, Z bucket for both (assuming classic awards, not Flex+ awards). That’s why trying to book an award to check on miles upgrade works.
What if you've booked a Flex+ Business class award?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:57 pm

I have an upcoming RUH-DXB-JFK in business (cash saver). On the EK site it’s offering me to upgrade the leg to DXB for about 12000 points. For the leg to JFK it’s telling me “Unfortunately this segment cannot be upgraded.” On EF it’s telling me both of my flights are F2 A1 although an earlier connection from RUH is showing F3 A3 for both flights.

Any thoughts on my odds of being able to upgrade the flight to JFK? Is there a timing element to this in terms of how long before the flight the upgrade may be available?

If I get the upgrade on the flight to DXB, will I have F lounge access at DXB as an arriving pax in F?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Flymoreforless
I have an upcoming RUH-DXB-JFK in business (cash saver). On the EK site it’s offering me to upgrade the leg to DXB for about 12000 points. For the leg to JFK it’s telling me “Unfortunately this segment cannot be upgraded.” On EF it’s telling me both of my flights are F2 A1 although an earlier connection from RUH is showing F3 A3 for both flights.

Any thoughts on my odds of being able to upgrade the flight to JFK? Is there a timing element to this in terms of how long before the flight the upgrade may be available?

If I get the upgrade on the flight to DXB, will I have F lounge access at DXB as an arriving pax in F?
access to the F lounge is based on platinum or io status or a first class ticket departing to somewhere (not arriving).

upgrade availability is a lottery at this time of the year
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:53 am

Just a data point today. In the business lounge today I was able to upgrade my business award ticket to a first class ticket on Dxb to jfk for 54k miles. As soon as I got to the lounge I put my name down on the waitlist and an hour before my flight they told me it cleared.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by omaralt
Just a data point today. In the business lounge today I was able to upgrade my business award ticket to a first class ticket on Dxb to jfk for 54k miles. As soon as I got to the lounge I put my name down on the waitlist and an hour before my flight they told me it cleared.
Nice! How early were you at the lounge? Do you know what EF availability showed for your flight? Is this something I could do at RUH when I check in? Does it matter if I have the miles in the account to get the offer (don’t want to transfer them if I’m not getting the upgrade). TIA.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Flymoreforless
Nice! How early were you at the lounge? Do you know what EF availability showed for your flight? Is this something I could do at RUH when I check in? Does it matter if I have the miles in the account to get the offer (don’t want to transfer them if I’m not getting the upgrade). TIA.
I was in the lounge about 3 hours prior to the flight. EF showed 5 available seats. Unfortunately you have to have the miles in your account, I also didn’t want to transfer the miles unless I was pretty certain. So I waited until 2 hrs before the flight before transferring the miles and being added to the waitlist; after the lounge attendant told me there were still 5 available seats
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by thijsseh
I have been looking for F award availibility for a HKG-DXB-ORD trip... when doing a straight forward flight search, it searches assuming classic awards....and I have not been finding any availability, which I suspect is due to it assuming only to search for a classic award... but if I were willing to bite the bullet for a Flex+ award... how do I search for availability through the EK search engine??

Last edited by Brostman; Dec 21, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Old Dec 19, 2022, 2:37 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Secured an upgrade from J to F using miles on DXB-IAH and DXB-MAD (both in Feb). Availability was plenty on different dates as well but for only one seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.