Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade J to F with miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2023, 2:16 am

Ic. How can I check the individual segment?
Old Jun 10, 2023, 3:15 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by tboons
Ic. How can I check the individual segment?
The easiest is to phone the call centre and ask.
The other way is to do a dummy booking for the segment only, and ticking the ‘use classic rewards’ box / switch. As upgrades and awards come from the same fare bucket (‘Z’ for First), availability shown there will (or at least should) confirm upgrade availability for that segment.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 5:59 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MathAviation7
Do you do credit card point transfers, and if so can you transfer miles to different EK Accounts (including skysurfers) from the same credit card? I have Capital One Venture X and AMEX Platnium.
It will depend on the credit card. I believe AMEX will allow you to transfer to a different EK accounts. I have transferred AMEX MR points to my account and my wife's account. You need to delink the first account and then link the second account.
I believe Capital One will allow you to transfers points from one Capital one account to another Capital One account. However, I had to call them when I transferred points from my wife's account to my account. After the transfer was completed, I was able to transfer the points into EK.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, DL Silver Medallion
Surprisingly my flight still has 3 seats left (thought they would all fill up by now), decided to split the reservation, so 2 people in my party can get the upgrade if there is still space. A few questions about the proccess:

1) When I transfer the miles, they will go into a family account. This means that the two people in my family that are going to get the upgrade can use the miles, right?

2) I booked this ticket (Business Flex Plus) in November, before the devaluation that saw the price of F upgrades go from 30K to 39K miles. On Emirates website, the upgrade price for waitlist is 30K for my reservation. Will they charge me 30K or 39K at the airport for the upgrade?

3) I have heard some issues with audits for “inactive accounts.” I have had my account open since 2018, flew EWR-ATH that summer (cash flights). Then I transferred 580K miles for my J tickets in November and booked the flights to Milan flights no problem. Would you consider this an “active account”, and would transferring the miles for the upgrade the day before departure put my account in jeopardy?
Does anybody have answers for questions 2 and 3?
Old Jun 10, 2023, 8:21 pm

Does anybody have answers for questions 2 and 3?
if you are seeing 30K that is what they are seeing You will be charged 30K. The example below from my ticket shows no availability but 63K when available. I was charged 63K when it was available

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Jun 10, 2023 at 9:14 pm
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:33 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
if you are seeing 30K that is what they are seeing You will be charged 30K. The example below from my ticket shows no availability but 63K when available. I was charged 63K when it was available

TD
That is correct. For upgrades of tickets bought before the devaluation early this year, the ‘old’ mileage rates will be charged. At least that was my experience some time ago.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thijsseh
That is correct. For upgrades of tickets bought before the devaluation early this year, the ‘old’ mileage rates will be charged. At least that was my experience some time ago.
Confirmed, just did this about an hour ago and charged the old 30k upgrade rate.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, DL Silver Medallion
Online check in opens in a few hours for my flight. Would doing that mess with the upgrade process?
Old Jun 18, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Online check in opens in a few hours for my flight. Would doing that mess with the upgrade process?
What ended up happening?
Old Jun 18, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkP24
What ended up happening?
Not OP but i don't think skipping online check in has any downside really if you already picked your seat. 2 days ago I upgraded J to F on EWR-ATH at check in line without checking in online.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Not OP but i don't think skipping online check in has any downside really if you already picked your seat. 2 days ago I upgraded J to F on EWR-ATH at check in line without checking in online.
That's great!
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:03 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
yes it does if you get availability to go to f before physical check in opens. In that case they have to uncheck you in upgrade you and check in again. I would not check in.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by m3red
yes it does if you get availability to go to f before physical check in opens. In that case they have to uncheck you in upgrade you and check in again. I would not check in.
I would not check in online if you are looking for an upgrade. The morning we flew out I called again to check for an upgrade. The agent said my daughter was already checked in and they could not help. Said I would have to ask at the airport. I don’t think there were any upgrades available when I called, but pretty sure they would not have done one over the phone, if there was one available, already checked-in.

Just my .02c

TD
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:14 am

... so is there ever good reason to OLCI?

(And on a connected subject ... does the same apply if willing to pay cash to upgrade a cash ticket - better never to OLCI?)
Old Jun 19, 2023, 5:36 am

The only reason to OLCI is if you have no bags and might miss the flight closure time (T-60), and you can get through security/immigration in time (some airports will operate a hard cut off even if you could make the flight).

Or, I guess, seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.