Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade J to F with miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2023, 8:40 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Sigtir
if you split the booking, upgrade one person, then would the second person need their own miles to upgrade once there’s another seat available? or can you upgrade the second person using your miles after the split?
Yes, you can use your miles to upgrade someone else, that’s no problem. There is a way to do it via the website, but I have done it through the call centre more than once.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Yes, you can use your miles to upgrade someone else, that’s no problem. There is a way to do it via the website, but I have done it through the call centre more than once.
is it instant?
also, would the website MMB section show any availability if there’s only one upgrade seat available even if my booking reference is for two people?
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 6:31 pm

is it instant?
also, would the website MMB section show any availability if there’s only one upgrade seat available even if my booking reference is for two people?
this is my question as well
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:47 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
is it instant?
no it won’t
Old Aug 10, 2023, 2:41 am

is it instant?
Yes, upgrades are processed instantly once miles/fees are deducted.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by NYC1
I am pretty sure that the answer is no. You’d have to call them to split the booking and then upgrade one of the bookings.

And if you want to be ready to do it online immediately when you see that there is upgrade availability, then you should call ahead of time to just split the bookings now.
I just now split the booking for me and my wife in the hopes of making it easier to upgrade one at a time, or even just one of us. I was able to do it via chat.

Something interesting is that after I split them, the auto upgrade option was available even though our points balance is zero. I did set it to auto upgrade, as I could also add the SMS notification option. But what happens if an upgrade does become available but we don't have points in our accounts? Will it send us a failure message or something?

Is there a way to save another PNR under my account? Or will I have to manually enter the PNR for my wife's ticket to pull up her reservation?
Old Aug 10, 2023, 12:56 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by g289t
I just now split the booking for me and my wife in the hopes of making it easier to upgrade one at a time, or even just one of us. I was able to do it via chat.

Something interesting is that after I split them, the auto upgrade option was available even though our points balance is zero. I did set it to auto upgrade, as I could also add the SMS notification option. But what happens if an upgrade does become available but we don't have points in our accounts? Will it send us a failure message or something?

Is there a way to save another PNR under my account? Or will I have to manually enter the PNR for my wife's ticket to pull up her reservation?
You can set auto upgrade, but it won't work with no miles in there. Better off setting an alert instead, I have found the alerts do actually work and they will send you an email if a seat opens.

I have found once I add a PNR under my account it stays in there both in the app and website even if it is not associated with my account. Just add it manually the first time and see if it sticks.

On a side note, I am glad people are using this singular thread about upgrades, it was getting a little obnoxious every day someone would start a new thread on how to upgrade. I don't know if mods hang out here but a consolidated thread would be nice.
FlyerTalkUserName and g289t like this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 10:06 am

successful upgrade

booked one reward ticket 1st class and one bizz class (all there was) Ewr to Athens flight late last year to leave next week. I had auto upgrade for the business class to first from day one and also checked almost every day over the remaining months. A couple days ago I got the confirmation that the biz flight was upgraded to first. Event though this is the older 777 I still feel lucky to be able to do this with my wife for the first time and that we got them at the pre-devaluation miles amounts. My first class was 87k (I believe) and her business was like 65k? + the 30k to upgrade. So it does work!
g289t likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by agl824
booked one reward ticket 1st class and one bizz class (all there was) Ewr to Athens flight late last year to leave next week. I had auto upgrade for the business class to first from day one and also checked almost every day over the remaining months. A couple days ago I got the confirmation that the biz flight was upgraded to first. Event though this is the older 777 I still feel lucky to be able to do this with my wife for the first time and that we got them at the pre-devaluation miles amounts. My first class was 87k (I believe) and her business was like 65k? + the 30k to upgrade. So it does work!
Congratulations!! And to get the upgrade only costing you about a 10% premium to the standard award is a pretty good deal IMO..... I have a similar situation (one F tkt confirmed the other booked in biz with auto-upgrade set), but with two segments to our route, and if both segments upgrade as departure approaches the premium will be more like 40%. I have automated upgrades set for both segments ( and also independently check F award availability regularly) but only enough miles to upgrade one of either the two legs, so if one clears, I'll cancel the other auto-upgrade and then check for the the other segment availability.... if it is also open (or subsequently opens) I will call and try to get the entire flight booked into F at the same reward level as the other F tkt that is confirmed... and hopefully avoid any premium. I think as others have advised me here, the auto-grade does sometime work, but not 100% reliable, so your efforts to check regularly was the right initiative, and then in your case you were lucky enough that it did work for you. I will also be a first time EK F traveler, and would be interested in what you thought of the experience, after you return.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by agl824
Enjoy. EK F is great. The lounge at EWR is nothing to get excited about and the terminal is a total dump so minimize your time at the airport. Once onboard, it’s a different story.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:46 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Brostman
I have exactly the same situation, although a different flight route. What I learned from others here on FT is that you should just book the second ticket in J, and then monitor for availability to upgrade the second tkt to F. Several FTers have advised that the auto upgrade function is not always reliable, so do check MMB regularly. Regarding points, it will cost more points in total to book J and upgrade (in my case, about 40% more points) than what you booked the F award for. And each segment gets upgraded independently, unless a full IAH-DXB-MLE award were opened up (which I have also been checking for regularly). The other thing I learned here, if you first get one segment upgraded (which you can do either online or through CS) and then the second leg become available for upgrade.... do not execute the second upgrade online through MMB.... rather call CS and have them see your reservation with the one leg upgraded and the availability open for the other leg... The CS should be able to then book the full flight route at the same miles you booked your first tkt... if you first grab the upgrade online yourself, the CS can not undo your upgrades and book at the lower points. A last point of information, others here have also told me to not necessarily expect a second award seat to open up until close to departure, and possibly not until day of departure when you should be able to grab the upgrade when you are checking, or even on-board.... assuming there are unsold seats of course.
In this exact scenario, if you are successful in getting one leg to upgrade say 30 days out, and then at the airport on the day of departure there is space, are you charged the full amount for that second leg in points - or does the agent see you have already upgraded one leg and do it for no points (or only the difference in points if you had upgraded the shorter leg)?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by NYC1
Enjoy. EK F is great. The lounge at EWR is nothing to get excited about and the terminal is a total dump so minimize your time at the airport. Once onboard, it’s a different story.
haha thanks! Been awhile since I flew out of newark its almost always jfk for us. I didn't even see that there is an emirates lounge at Newark, just access to the SAS lounge? Not expecting much either way in that regard.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by paterwdb
In this exact scenario, if you are successful in getting one leg to upgrade say 30 days out, and then at the airport on the day of departure there is space, are you charged the full amount for that second leg in points - or does the agent see you have already upgraded one leg and do it for no points (or only the difference in points if you had upgraded the shorter leg)?
Not sure about the situation if upgrading the second leg occurs at the airport..... what other here have advised about upgrading the two legs independently, as inventory becomes available, assumes the upgrade availability for the second leg occurs at a time when you can call CS to request the upgrade for the second segment and get the full trip booked at an award redemption level for the "through flight" number of miles.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:49 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Brostman
Not sure about the situation if upgrading the second leg occurs at the airport..... what other here have advised about upgrading the two legs independently, as inventory becomes available, assumes the upgrade availability for the second leg occurs at a time when you can call CS to request the upgrade for the second segment and get the full trip booked at an award redemption level for the "through flight" number of miles.
When you upgrade the second of the two legs at the airport, you will be charged the full amount of points for that leg. The airport agent cannot combine the two leg upgrades. This requires an on the ball agent in the call centre, possibly even one with extended authority. When I have done it, the agent always ’had to check’ and then came back with a positive response.
paterwdb likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by thijsseh
When you upgrade the second of the two legs at the airport, you will be charged the full amount of points for that leg. The airport agent cannot combine the two leg upgrades. This requires an on the ball agent in the call centre, possibly even one with extended authority. When I have done it, the agent always ’had to check’ and then came back with a positive response.
This is what I was afraid of. And also that the upgrade on Leg 1 will clear at the airport, but Leg 2 not until the next airport (thus costing 50% more points). Hoping maybe inventory opens!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.