Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2021

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: Privilege Club - Platinum
I have what may be a bit off an odd question and it is related to Flydubai.

Basically, for those that are not aware, Flydubai offers you the option to bid for an upgrade. I always do and always get it, it is significantly less expensive than paying for a full business fare. I booked BEG-DXB-BEG flight and bid to get upgrade on both the outbound and inbound. Got upgraded on my first flight BEG-DXB (they confirm the upgrade around 48 hours prior to your flight). While I'm in Dubai I had to move my departure back to Belgrade by a day. So I cancelled my upgrade bid, moved the flight and then wanted to bid for my new date. However, the upgrade system doesn't seem to recognize that I'm flying a day later and is still just showing the bid for my original date as cancelled without the option of upgrading on my new date as it doesn't seem to think I'm flying that day. The ticket itself is fine and I'm confirmed for the new date. I know it isn't an availability thing as business is wide open. I called Flydubai call center but they seemed highly disinterested and said I can wait and if nothing happens then business is full, which simply isn't true. I doubt the issue will automatically resolve itself as I think the upgrade system got itself confused when I changed my flight date. Anyone have a solution?
Old May 19, 2021, 7:28 am

Hi all,

Newbie here looking for some advice on a paid business > first upgrade. I just booked an O fare for FRA/DXB/MEL/DXB/FRA in early October returning December for 3430€.
I have the option to upgrade either direction for 1900€ under "manage booking", which is about the same price as if I booked either leg in F originally anyway. Alternatively, I can upgrade the inbound for 83000 miles, which I don't have but can purchase for 1489€ with the current 45% bonus (kicking myself that I hesitated on the 100% offer). I'm also happy to upgrade just one sector as it's more of a bucket list thing than a desperate need to fly in first. So I'm just trying to weigh the options and see what's the best value, my main questions are;

- If I just wait until I rock up at check-in, is the price likely to be higher than the 1900€ it would cost me to upgrade now?
- I read that people sometimes receive an upgrade offer by email before the flight, is this just for miles or also cash upgrades? Is it likely to be less than it would cost me now?
- Is spending the 1489€ to buy miles my best bet or is it worth waiting?

I know that fare prices always change and no one has a crystal ball, but any answers/advice from past experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Hj91
Hi all,

Newbie here looking for some advice on a paid business > first upgrade. I just booked an O fare for FRA/DXB/MEL/DXB/FRA in early October returning December for 3430€.
I have the option to upgrade either direction for 1900€ under "manage booking", which is about the same price as if I booked either leg in F originally anyway. Alternatively, I can upgrade the inbound for 83000 miles, which I don't have but can purchase for 1489€ with the current 45% bonus (kicking myself that I hesitated on the 100% offer). I'm also happy to upgrade just one sector as it's more of a bucket list thing than a desperate need to fly in first. So I'm just trying to weigh the options and see what's the best value, my main questions are;

- If I just wait until I rock up at check-in, is the price likely to be higher than the 1900€ it would cost me to upgrade now?
- I read that people sometimes receive an upgrade offer by email before the flight, is this just for miles or also cash upgrades? Is it likely to be less than it would cost me now?

I know that fare prices always change and no one has a crystal ball, but any answers/advice from past experience would be greatly appreciated.
To answer your questions :-

Yes - you don't generally get offers at the airport to upgrade on the cheap. The chances are it would be a lot more expensive.

The upgrade emails are mainly Economy to Business. I've heard on here that occasionally there may be Business to First offers - but they are very rare.

In my opinion, Business to First on a flight of that length is well worth 1489€. I doubt you're going to see anything much better that that. I'd definitely pay that price
Old May 31, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver/KL Silver/SQ Silver/AZ Premium
I wanna check if I do understand the COVID19 Ticket Options correct. Maybe someone can advice?

I'm looking at the BKK-MCT fare but I don't like the flight times DXB-MCT-DXB (want to do a turnaround on the same day).

Is is possible to book BKK-DXB-MCT-DXB-BKK and then immediately change it in My Booking to for example BKK-DXB-CAI-DXB-BKK (or any other destination in the same region) for free, providing the A fare is also available on those flights? BKK-MCT A fare is around € 1850, BKK-CAI A fare around € 2600, so I'm wondering if I have to pay this difference of almost € 800 or if it is indeed free.
Old May 31, 2021, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
To answer your questions :-

In my opinion, Business to First on a flight of that length is well worth 1489€. I doubt you're going to see anything much better that that. I'd definitely pay that price
Thanks for the advice, sorry I missed your reply before now. I decided to skip purchasing the miles because it looks like they aren’t releasing any upgrade availability on DXB-MEL leg with the reduced capacity for COVID, and I’m not 100% concrete on the return leg yet. Decided instead to change my origin to Milan, from there it’s just a cash upgrade of 1200€ and I’ll blow the difference on some sightseeing on the way.
Old May 31, 2021, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by williamvdh

Is is possible to book BKK-DXB-MCT-DXB-BKK and then immediately change it in My Booking to for example BKK-DXB-CAI-DXB-BKK (or any other destination in the same region) for free, providing the A fare is also available on those flights? BKK-MCT A fare is around € 1850, BKK-CAI A fare around € 2600, so I'm wondering if I have to pay this difference of almost € 800 or if it is indeed free.
The allowance for COVID is just that any change or refund fees are waived, you will still have to pay whatever the difference in fare is.
williamvdh likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: NZ
Hi there ... new to Skywards. I have a question about the elite bonus miles, say 25% for Silver. I understand that the bonus is added to the 'base miles' for the class of travel. But how can I find out what the 'base miles' are for a sector?

For example, I am looking at DXB/BKK in F. The Mileage Calculator shows miles earned with no status for Flex and Flex Plus fares as follows:
Flex - 8750 Skyward Miles
Flex Plus - 8750 Skyward Miles

When I factor in Silver status these increase to 9625 for both, which is 10% more than the 'no status' earn rate.

So, I am guessing that the 'base miles' figure is different, but how do I know what this is? As it is obviously less than the Flex/Flex Plus earn amount, it makes the elite bonus less appealing!
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:50 am

Hello....I read somewhere that Emirates only allows one transfer of points from one bank per lifetime. Is this correct or outdated info? If it's not true, could I transfer points from my husband's CSR acct and my Amex MR acct to my Emirates acct. for business class tickets for myself and my Mother? Is there a limit? If I'm using points to purchase in Business class, will these be ticketed and not put me some list for first come, first serve, right? I'd hate to transfer and not get these seats and have my points stuck in Emirates.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:42 pm

moved post

Last edited by joaozinho; Jun 21, 2021 at 10:21 am
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Long stopover - Lounge

Next month my flight arrives at 6 am and the next flight leaves at 8 pm.

I don't really want to leave the airport and I don't want to take a day room at the airport hotel. I don't need to sleep.

My connecting flight is with Flydubai from Terminal 3. I have Gold status so will use the lounge for a shower, and to relax, eat and drink! I may pay extra to use the First Class lounge.

How many hours would I be allowed in the lounge?

Thanks.

Last edited by Longton; Jun 23, 2021 at 2:13 pm
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
I am at the EK business class lounge today. The lounge attendant has stated that the First class lounge is going to open within a week, certainly by July 1. The Moet lounge is currently 'hidden' within the modified First class lounge section of the the Business class lounge. Not that it matters but just a point of reference (we wanted to gain access). Presently, the Business class lounge is roughly half the size or normal operations. Hope this help the forum.
thijsseh and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tex1721
I am at the EK business class lounge today. The lounge attendant has stated that the First class lounge is going to open within a week, certainly by July 1. The Moet lounge is currently 'hidden' within the modified First class lounge section of the the Business class lounge. Not that it matters but just a point of reference (we wanted to gain access). Presently, the Business class lounge is roughly half the size or normal operations. Hope this help the forum.
I take it this is B lounge only? I miss the A lounges
Old Jun 25, 2021, 2:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
Originally Posted by chongl
I take it this is B lounge only? I miss the A lounges
Yes, Terminal 3 B lounge
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:14 am
formerly Bryce Curdy

For open tickets does all travel have to be completed by the expiration date or just the outward leg?
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:39 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by El Vercker
For open tickets does all travel have to be completed by the expiration date or just the outward leg?
I have been wondering the same thing. Looking forward to the answer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.