Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2021

Old Dec 31, 20, 3:32 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue

Hi All

Welcome to the EK Forum and the new Newbie thread for 2021. Here’s hoping for a better year of flying

If you are new to Flyertalk, flying with Emirates for the first time or are just unsure of something to do with Emirates and have a question, then please feel free to post in this thread (No flaming allowed).

You can also have a look at our 2020 thread [EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2020

Please also have a look at the Emirates Forum Dashboard for a one-stop shop for all your needs.

From the The EK Forum Moderators and Ambassador team, we hope you have a safe, pleasant and exciting year of flying with Emirates.
Old Jan 3, 21, 6:51 am

Hi All – kicking off 2021 with a straight forward situation. I would really appreciate it if someone would “check my homework”:

Goal: use our Emirates miles to book two F tickets, one with a lap infant, to Mauritius before the miles expire and the tyke is older than 2.

My plan: book one of us an award F ticket. Book the other person and the lap infant a Business Saver roundtrip in cash. Hover like a hawk / reactivate ExpertFlyer to monitor award space for the miles upgrade, and if that fails pray that there is availability for an instant upgrade. There is no benefit in having a Saver vs. Flex ticket in the instant upgrade pecking order(?). We are Blue members, so at the lowest of the low otherwise.

Unrelated background: pre-pandemic, pre-baby, we were going to Colombo! Sri Lanka seems so sweet. Alas, with the concern of malaria the country is out of the running for us at this point. Hopefully others will make the trip in 2021 and post some cool reports.

Hope this year is better than 2020 for all Emirates flyers and the world!
Old Jan 3, 21, 7:23 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Milwaukee View Post
Hi All – kicking off 2021 with a straight forward situation. I would really appreciate it if someone would “check my homework”:

Goal: use our Emirates miles to book two F tickets, one with a lap infant, to Mauritius before the miles expire and the tyke is older than 2.

My plan: book one of us an award F ticket. Book the other person and the lap infant a Business Saver roundtrip in cash. Hover like a hawk / reactivate ExpertFlyer to monitor award space for the miles upgrade, and if that fails pray that there is availability for an instant upgrade. There is no benefit in having a Saver vs. Flex ticket in the instant upgrade pecking order(?). We are Blue members, so at the lowest of the low otherwise.

Unrelated background: pre-pandemic, pre-baby, we were going to Colombo! Sri Lanka seems so sweet. Alas, with the concern of malaria the country is out of the running for us at this point. Hopefully others will make the trip in 2021 and post some cool reports.

Hi Milwaukee, yes I guess we all hope for a better year than 2020, both from a 'general' and a flying point of view.

Without trying to be exhaustive in my reply to your post, the following observations:
  1. Availability of F award tickets is of course not guaranteed, either as an 'initial' award or as an upgrade (they come out of the same fare bucket, "Z").
  2. Upgrades from J saver to F takes more miles than from J Flex to F (for Flex+ it's the same as J Flex)
  3. At the moment (and that has been for quite a while), Expert Flyer does not show EK upgrade availability. I have asked EF about this but they have no idea when this will be put back to normal.
  4. I am not sure what you mean with 'instant upgrade'. You can set an alert for upgrade availability on your booking on the EK website (or even an 'auto upgrade'). In my experience the alert works quite well.
  5. As a Blue member you cannot get 'on board' upgrades (these are 'space available' and cost the normal amount of miles).
  6. When upgrades become available, it is 'first come first serve', status makes no difference.
  7. Emirates will not give 'free' upgrades UNLESS they need seats in the cabin they are upgrading from (i.e. J in your instance). There is a pecking order there: Plat members first, then Flex+ Gold, Flex+ Silver, Flex+ Blue, then Flex and Saver. So as Blue with a Saver ticket the op-up chances are minimal.

I guess that's all for now and that it helps a bit. Feel free to ask more.

Last edited by thijsseh; Jan 3, 21 at 7:44 am
Old Jan 3, 21, 7:36 am

Dont foget, you also have to pay extra miles to upgrade de lap infant..i thought it was 10%.
Old Jan 3, 21, 10:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold

much better to book the lap infant on the first reward ticket. This can be done easily by calling in.
Old Jan 5, 21, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
If I were to book a ticket in A from JFK-DXB-SYD-MEL, where the JFK-DXB-SYD legs were on EK and SYD-MEL was on QF, would I have chauffeur drive in MEL upon landing? (Assume things are back to relative normal by the time I'm actually able to fly this.)

If I were to book the QF codeshares and fly JFK-DXB-SYD in F, all on EK metal, would I have chauffeur drive in SYD?
Old Jan 7, 21, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Originally Posted by steveholt View Post
If I were to book a ticket in A from JFK-DXB-SYD-MEL, where the JFK-DXB-SYD legs were on EK and SYD-MEL was on QF, would I have chauffeur drive in MEL upon landing? (Assume things are back to relative normal by the time I'm actually able to fly this.)

If I were to book the QF codeshares and fly JFK-DXB-SYD in F, all on EK metal, would I have chauffeur drive in SYD?
When you arrive in Sydney, you will be put on a bus with the other passengers and taken to a quarantine hotel for 14 days — perhaps not quite the chauffeur service you had in mind.

When you're off to MEL 15 days later (assuming that you have an exemption allowing you to enter the state of Victoria from NSW), you will not get chauffeur service from QF.

BTW, EK is once more flying DXB-MEL direct, so you could skip SYD entirely and just quarantine in MEL.
Old Jan 7, 21, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by WoodlandCreature View Post
When you arrive in Sydney, you will be put on a bus with the other passengers and taken to a quarantine hotel for 14 days — perhaps not quite the chauffeur service you had in mind.
Please read my post, which noted "(Assume things are back to relative normal by the time I'm actually able to fly this.)"
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jan 9, 21, 3:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by steveholt View Post

I can't really answer - but I believe I read on here previously that the SYD-MEL flights do qualify if they are on an EK itinerary. I tried searching for the post, but I can't find it.
steveholt likes this.
Old Jan 9, 21, 7:19 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Seat recommendations for 777-300?

Despite having status in several *A airlines, I'm a complete newbie to EK and will be taking my maiden flight with them in February.

The WAW-DXB route is served by a 773, and as it's Eco Flex I have free seat selection in regular seats.

I've checked Seat Guru but was wondering if EK regulars have any recommendations on which of the regular seats are good - or which to avoid.
Old Jan 12, 21, 9:00 am

Question on Covid-era refunds

Hi folks,

Have had a read of the details on the EK website and wondered if any real world experience interpreting the rules.

Looking to book a discounted economy ticket for travel in the coming months. Choices include 'saver' or 'flex' with restrictions showing either no refund possible or a £200 penalty.

If I am unable to take the trip due to covid restrictions (but the flights continue to operate) would this come within the 'travel with confidence' full refund? Or still restricted?

Many thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 12, 21, 1:18 pm

Thank you thijsseh and m3red for the wonderful advice! I ended up calling in and amazingly found a date that worked. I had them reserve it and went to transfer miles, and promptly transferred them to our shared family account rather than the individual with all the miles . I'm still smarting with how incredibly stupid this was of me, is it worth pleading or am out of luck? I'll turn in my keys and credentials for being a FTer now...

[Edit - I sorted it to the greatest extent possible and am now set. Basic takeaway: don't screw up and forget you set 100% contribution to the family account...there is no recourse to have those points combined with individual miles! I ended up topping off the account with another transfer. Had two great agents help me out.

I'll report back later this year; I plan to spend the flights listening to Sade and drinking champagne .)

Last edited by Milwaukee; Jan 13, 21 at 8:31 am
Old Jan 24, 21, 3:07 pm

Question Emirates Waitlist?

Will someone please help me understand the Emirates waitlist policy?

I have a confirmed first-class booking using Skyward miles for the end of March, however, I need to change my travel dates to 1 week earlier. Emirates currently has 6 out of 8 FC seats available on my desired new flight, however, they have (so far) made none of those seats available for award travel. They did just waitlist me for the flight I want and told me I am the one and only name on the list.

Does anyone know how this works? Will Emirates likely allow me to travel on the new flight I want and notify me in time to change hotel bookings, etc? Or, should I expect not to find out anything until the last minute and be left scrambling to change my hotels as well as a new date for my return flight? Although the Emirates rep said I could be notified at any time, I’m just not sure what to expect or if changing everything by 1 week will work out realistically.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jan 24, 21, 8:30 pm

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by dajay View Post

I have a confirmed first-class booking using Skyward miles for the end of March, however, I need to change my travel dates to 1 week earlier. Emirates currently has 6 out of 8 FC seats available on my desired new flight, however, they have (so far) made none of those seats available for award travel. They did just waitlist me for the flight I want and told me I am the one and only name on the list.

Does anyone know how this works? Will Emirates likely allow me to travel on the new flight I want and notify me in time to change hotel bookings, etc? Or, should I expect not to find out anything until the last minute and be left scrambling to change my hotels as well as a new date for my return flight? Although the Emirates rep said I could be notified at any time, I’m just not sure what to expect or if changing everything by 1 week will work out realistically.

youll get to know as soon as it clears, which could be any time. I've had mine clear at check in close; I have had mine clear weeks out when the forecast changed.
Old Jan 25, 21, 12:49 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by dajay View Post

Is there actually something like being’waitlisted’ for an award ticket? I have never seen that, but then I have never tried it either. I have used the auto-upgrade as well as the notification options for upgrades but that is something different.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: