FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2021
Old May 19, 2021, 9:08 am
DYKWIA
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Hj91
Hi all,

Newbie here looking for some advice on a paid business > first upgrade. I just booked an O fare for FRA/DXB/MEL/DXB/FRA in early October returning December for 3430€.
I have the option to upgrade either direction for 1900€ under "manage booking", which is about the same price as if I booked either leg in F originally anyway. Alternatively, I can upgrade the inbound for 83000 miles, which I don't have but can purchase for 1489€ with the current 45% bonus (kicking myself that I hesitated on the 100% offer). I'm also happy to upgrade just one sector as it's more of a bucket list thing than a desperate need to fly in first. So I'm just trying to weigh the options and see what's the best value, my main questions are;

- If I just wait until I rock up at check-in, is the price likely to be higher than the 1900€ it would cost me to upgrade now?
- I read that people sometimes receive an upgrade offer by email before the flight, is this just for miles or also cash upgrades? Is it likely to be less than it would cost me now?
- Is spending the 1489€ to buy miles my best bet or is it worth waiting?

I know that fare prices always change and no one has a crystal ball, but any answers/advice from past experience would be greatly appreciated.
To answer your questions :-

- If I just wait until I rock up at check-in, is the price likely to be higher than the 1900€ it would cost me to upgrade now?

Yes - you don't generally get offers at the airport to upgrade on the cheap. The chances are it would be a lot more expensive.

- I read that people sometimes receive an upgrade offer by email before the flight, is this just for miles or also cash upgrades? Is it likely to be less than it would cost me now?

The upgrade emails are mainly Economy to Business. I've heard on here that occasionally there may be Business to First offers - but they are very rare.

- Is spending the 1489€ to buy miles my best bet or is it worth waiting?

In my opinion, Business to First on a flight of that length is well worth 1489€. I doubt you're going to see anything much better that that. I'd definitely pay that price