Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing Skywards+

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:44 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by ft101
When you cancel your booking there is no guarantee the seats will go back into award inventory.
Thanks. That may not be an issue here because it seems like a fresh booking is still available. My concern is if it takes a long time to get miles back, because then the seats could disappear on me after I cancel and before I rebook again. Which is why I'm curious how fast the miles get redeposited after cancellation.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nnn
My concern is if it takes a long time to get miles back, because then the seats could disappear on me after I cancel and before I rebook again. Which is why I'm curious how fast the miles get redeposited after cancellation.
Its been some time since I cancelled and rebooked my F award tickets in 2018 and things may have changed but I believe the miles get deposited back into your account almost immediately after you cancel. I would recommend you do this on the phone with an EK agent rather than through the website. As ft101 rightly pointed out, my bigger concern would be the award inventory - you may want to double check that before going through with the cancellation and re-booking.
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awluter
  • The system will only apply the discount to an adult fair. So, I had to book my party as 4 adults, even though it's actually 2 adults and 2 kids.
This is correct and indeed the system does not apply the 20% discount to children.

Here is the thing though - if you book your child as an adult then you are not able to input the correct date of birth as it will only allow you to enter a valid date > 12 years. In my case, I was not sure whether DoB changes are allowed post booking and had the miles to continue with the purchase without the 20% discount on 1 ticket so I went through with the booking. Wrote to EK through the Feedback/ Complaints option on the website and the extra miles deducted were credited back to to my account within a day - no questions asked.

The terms clearly state that the discount applies to "all travelers" in the booking. Here is what the Terms say for reference:

The discount will apply to all travellers within the same booking.

Skywards+ Terms and Conditions
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jackiedada
I did not have the miles but was able to book 3 Classic reward return tickets in J. The way to do this is to go to your Skyward account and then under the Skywards+ plan click the 20% discount on Reward flights - this will bring you to the Classic rewards booking page with the discount coupon applied. Then search for a Y reward. This will also show the J rewards next to the Y rewards and a "Yellow" dot on top indicating that the reward is applicable for a 20% discount. You will be able to select the J rewards and continue with the booking process.
How were you able to do this? I keep getting the insufficient miles message. It will let me book Economy but not business. Phone support says I’ve done it correctly so having tech support reach out but given the other person said they never did, I’m naturally skeptical. The yellow dot shows up on both so I know I have the promo code entered correctly.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acswank
How were you able to do this? I keep getting the insufficient miles message. It will let me book Economy but not business. Phone support says I’ve done it correctly so having tech support reach out but given the other person said they never did, I’m naturally skeptical. The yellow dot shows up on both so I know I have the promo code entered correctly.
If I recall correctly, I first selected the Y flights, then went to the next page where it showed the total miles to be deducted including the 20% discount and then I went back and selected the J flights. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:16 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by nnn
I wish I had read this thread sooner. I booked 4 J awards SFO-DXB and DXB-SFO (booked as one-ways), for a total of 910K miles. The booking class is Business Flex Plus. The Emirates website seems to show J award availability still there.

Am I correct that I can refund my existing bookings for for no fee, and then book as 4 round-trips (in a single PNR) at the 20% discount, provided I pay the $399 fee for Skywards+? If so, is it better to refund the tickets by telephone vs. by website?

How long does it generally take to get the miles back in my account so that I can rebook?
I went through with this process successfully. The EK phone agent cancelled my full-price award, and refunded the miles back to my Skywards account immediately. I then made a new booking right away using the 20% Skywards+ voucher. I confirmed right before calling EK that award space was still available for a fresh booking. That was a good use of $399.

This is correct and indeed the system does not apply the 20% discount to children.

Here is the thing though - if you book your child as an adult then you are not able to input the correct date of birth as it will only allow you to enter a valid date > 12 years. In my case, I was not sure whether DoB changes are allowed post booking and had the miles to continue with the purchase without the 20% discount on 1 ticket so I went through with the booking. Wrote to EK through the Feedback/ Complaints option on the website and the extra miles deducted were credited back to to my account within a day - no questions asked.

The terms clearly state that the discount applies to "all travelers" in the booking. Here is what the Terms say for reference:

The discount will apply to all travellers within the same booking.

Skywards+ Terms and Conditions
Thanks for posting this. I ran into the same issue, and resolved it the same way. It took a few days, but EK eventually corrected my account balance. They had to reissue the child ticket so that it could be issued at the 20% discount, but the PNR stayed the same.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Glad it worked out for you nicely. Yes the 20% mileage discount on Classic rewards is by far the best use of the Skywards+ membership - totally justifies it.
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Quick question, I have an Skywards account I want to book 2 tickets for other people redeeming miles on Business Class. If I purchase Skywards Plus will the booking get the 20% discount or do I ahve to be one of the people travelling?

Thanks
Also wondering this - can the discount be used to book for someone else? It's been giving an error after the payment page... Appreciate any help!
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joeyg1219
Also wondering this - can the discount be used to book for someone else? It's been giving an error after the payment page... Appreciate any help!
AFAIK, one does not have to be a member of the traveling party to use the 20% discount.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:16 am

AFAIK, one does not have to be a member of the traveling party to use the 20% discount.
Thank you!!! Confirming this is correct - worked for me to book for 2 passengers that were not the account holder
Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:30 am

Anyone upgraded with 20% discount?

I am in the situation that I fly EK 4-5 times a year, so not really a frequent flyer but it gets me to Silver (just). I always book Y and upgrade to J. If I price my EK or Amex (they are priced 1:1) miles at $US0.01 per mile (which is the rate I've read online), then paying for J costs twice as much as booking Y and upgrading. Obviously I don't have that many miles given I only fly 4-5 times a year so I use Amex miles for the upgrade, but even those are in limited supply, I used to have a lot but they are dwindling since I started using them for EK upgrades.

I see Skywards+ as a good way of making my Amex miles last longer. I did the math, and (again, assuming $0.01/mile), the cheapest way to sit in J is to book Y Flex and upgrade with points, but Flex+ is not far behind. Saver is much more expensive, surprisingly enough. If I use the 20% upgrade discount and book Flex+, the number of miles required for the upgrade is vastly reduced. I will save more than Skywards+ costs, but most importantly I should be able to make my Amex miles last a few years longer before they run out completely (at which point I will need to start flying Y or paying full price for J).

My questions:
1) Have I missed anything?
2) I can upgrade both myself and my partner with the 20% discount, right? We always fly together.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by acswank

Were you ever able to book this? It's silly that you need to have 20% more miles in your account to use the 20% off...
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:18 pm

Just joined Skywards+. First surprise: the biggest tip I've read everywhere (including here), "12 months plus until the end of the month, so join at the start of the month" doesn't apply anymore. I joined today, 01FEB22, and my membership expires 31JAN23.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by hyslopc
Just joined Skywards+. First surprise: the biggest tip I've read everywhere (including here), "12 months plus until the end of the month, so join at the start of the month" doesn't apply anymore. I joined today, 01FEB22, and my membership expires 31JAN23.
I contacted Emirates about this. Their first reply was to ask whether I could count to 12, and knew the difference between 12 and 13. After pointing out to them that the example on their own website gives a 12.7 month subscription, they didn't reply. After sending a reminder, I was told it's with Emirates management.

I think there's a big caveat here: you should start your subscription early in the month (as everyone points out), but not on the 1st. If you start it on the 1st of the month, then it gets rounded up to the next month, but the rounding is 0, so you get exactly 12.0 months.

You should start your subscripion on the 2nd of the month for maximum subscription time. Ironically, the 1st feb (which I chose) gives you the shortest possible number of days. We'll see what Emirates replies with.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: EK
I have heaps of Miles in my amex and Emirates account... If i want to use a reward upgrade so i will buy the economy flex ticket then upgrade straight away to business. But say i only have 200K points in my emirates account yet the upgrade award takes 240K points but with the skyward + membership would give me a discount and make it 200K points - can you do that or do you have to have the FULL amount of points in your skywards account before booking a upgrade reward?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.