Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Welcome to Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

Skywards is the Frequent Flyer Programme (FFP) for Emirates Airlines. There are many ways of collecting and spending miles as well as attaining status within the membership programme and different levels of status bring with it certain benefits. Sometimes FFP's can be confusing and we all find ourselves with a question at times relating to membership or how to spend, how to collect, where to spend, where to collect, what benefits come with membership etc.

From the Emirates Skywards Web Page:

Make the Most of Every Mile with Emirates Skywards. Our award-winning frequent flyer programme costs nothing to join and will change the way you see the world forever. It’s simpler than ever before to apply and begin collecting more Miles more quickly in even more ways. Membership gives you the chance to earn and spend Miles with Emirates and flydubai, as well as with our wide selection of partners. Enhance your travel experience with benefits and services that make every trip more rewarding.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/.../skywards.aspx

We have a quite a few experts on the forum, so if you find yourself stuck as how to make the most of your membership then please ask your Skywards questions here.

Here is the link to the 2017/2018 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...17-2018-a.html

Safe & Happy Travels

Saltire74
EK Forum Co-Moderator
Print Wikipost

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
Just booked J saver flights for dec/jan
noticed at the end of the fare information line it says “Reward upgrade restricted”?
anyone know what this means?

just went back and looked at all my J saver tickets from the last 5 years and not one of them says that at the end of the fare info line.

Savers can't be upgraded until check-in
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Savers can't be upgraded until check-in
I’ve upgraded plenty of J class savers online and over the phone before check in opens.
EK has let me set upgrade reminders for this trip also online.
Has something changed?
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls

I’ve upgraded plenty of J class savers online and over the phone before check in opens.
EK has let me set upgrade reminders for this trip also online.
Has something changed?
Well Y savers can't be upgraded, maybe they're introducing the same restrictions for J? Not sure
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Well Y savers can't be upgraded, maybe they're introducing the same restrictions for J? Not sure
Still shows up as normal on a dummy booking, whereas an Economy booking shows the restriction, but that was my first thought as well.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Originally Posted by ft101
Still shows up as normal on a dummy booking, whereas an Economy booking shows the restriction, but that was my first thought as well.
yes, it’s strange.
Like I said before none of my other J savers have had this written at the end of the fare rules.
But at least the app as normal is letting me set alerts for upgrade availability.
little worried as was hoping for a points upgrade to F to open up. Would just like to know what the restrictions are, phone call to call centre I think.

Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: EY
Trying to burn off 4000 miles that are expiring at the end of the month and just found out the High Street was closed on February 1. I know they were never the best redemption rates but getting something is better than nothing. Got a few Macy's gift cards that way, for instance. Now there is really nothing I can do with these miles, other than book a ticket to an Australian Rugby game. Even if I want a 50 AED/14 USD Magruders book shop voucher, I have to pay $15 in order to get the 1000 miles I would need to get the 5000 mile cost. If I want to donate them, I can only do it in 2500 mile increments. Ridiculous.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by xobile
Trying to burn off 4000 miles that are expiring at the end of the month and just found out the High Street was closed on February 1. I know they were never the best redemption rates but getting something is better than nothing. Got a few Macy's gift cards that way, for instance. Now there is really nothing I can do with these miles, other than book a ticket to an Australian Rugby game. Even if I want a 50 AED/14 USD Magruders book shop voucher, I have to pay $15 in order to get the 1000 miles I would need to get the 5000 mile cost. If I want to donate them, I can only do it in 2500 mile increments. Ridiculous.
You can book hotels through rocket miles using miles - don't know if they permit part payment with miles and balance cash but if they do that could be an option
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:00 am

Miles plus cash for flights.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:03 am

Can anyone confirm if buying miles will extend the expiration date on EK points? The OP may not want to do this, but most airlines points programs extend out the expiration date on points with points purchases.

TD
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Can anyone confirm if buying miles will extend the expiration date on EK points? The OP may not want to do this, but most airlines points programs extend out the expiration date on points with points purchases.

TD
No, there's no way of extending your miles on EK. If you look on the website, you'll see something like "You have 53879 miles, 2345 will expire on 07/06/2020".
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
No, there's no way of extending your miles on EK. If you look on the website, you'll see something like "You have 53879 miles, 2345 will expire on 07/06/2020".
You can extend miles

https://www.emirates.com/english/sky...ut/points.aspx
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by m3red
Oh aye, forgot about that! Bargain at $20 per 1000
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by ft101
Miles plus cash for flights.
Pretty horrible redemption rates. One way cash fare on a flight to India is 2220 AED or 600 usd. If I do cash plus miles it's 52500 miles plus 1250 AED or 340 usd. Or 0.5 cents per mile. Horrendous.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:54 pm

Pretty horrible redemption rates. One way cash fare on a flight to India is 2220 AED or 600 usd. If I do cash plus miles it's 52500 miles plus 1250 AED or 340 usd. Or 0.5 cents per mile. Horrendous.
I knew it was poor, although better than losing them altogether, but it looks like it might have reduced since the launch. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was slightly more than 0.5 cents initially.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: Emirates
Status and Tier Miles

Will EK generally increase or renew your status if you're just under the limit (e.g. end the period with 149,100 tier miles for platinum)? And, if so, how close do you have to be?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.