Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
F Lounge Access in DXB

I'm struggling to find the answer to this question about lounge access in DXB.

I've got an AS award ticket booked from the US with a long layover in DXB. The US-DXB flight is in F. However, the flight out of DXB is in J because there are no F award seats available.

Will I get access to the F lounge in DXB? Some posts suggest that the connecting flight (out of DXB) in J means I'll only get into the business lounge only. Others seem to suggest that since I paid for the award the ticket should be booked in Z and I technically should get access to the F lounge...but that it might be a battle to convince someone on the ground.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where it's specified in the T&Cs?

Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by h8stn4d
I'm struggling to find the answer to this question about lounge access in DXB.

I've got an AS award ticket booked from the US with a long layover in DXB. The US-DXB flight is in F. However, the flight out of DXB is in J because there are no F award seats available.

Will I get access to the F lounge in DXB? Some posts suggest that the connecting flight (out of DXB) in J means I'll only get into the business lounge only. Others seem to suggest that since I paid for the award the ticket should be booked in Z and I technically should get access to the F lounge...but that it might be a battle to convince someone on the ground.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where it's specified in the T&Cs?

Thanks!
If there are no award seats available, you'll be booked into a J class of some sort and should have only been charged the J points. So, you'll only get business lounge. You can upgrade to the first lounge for $100 (assuming you are a Skywards member - if not, join in advance).

I think the exception is where you have a F class itinerary for the whole journey, but one of the legs is on a 2 class with no F. Eg, JFK-DXB-BKK where JFK-DXB is 3 class and DXB-BKK is 2 class.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
If there are no award seats available, you'll be booked into a J class of some sort and should have only been charged the J points. So, you'll only get business lounge. You can upgrade to the first lounge for $100 (assuming you are a Skywards member - if not, join in advance).

I think the exception is where you have a F class itinerary for the whole journey, but one of the legs is on a 2 class with no F. Eg, JFK-DXB-BKK where JFK-DXB is 3 class and DXB-BKK is 2 class.
Thanks for the reply.

I was charged full F points (150k) because one of my flights, US-DXB, is in F. If an F seat becomes available on my second leg, then I would not have to pay any more points. On an AS award, if you have a mixed cabin award with one leg in F, the entire award is priced as if it is in F.

So since I paid full F fare (in points), am I entitled to get into the F lounge in DXB? I have a long layover, so it matters. I'm not sure why I should have to pay $100 per passenger just because there happen to be no F seats on the second leg, given that the price of my ticket (in miles) is the same either way.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Thanks for the reply.

I was charged full F points (150k) because one of my flights, US-DXB, is in F. If an F seat becomes available on my second leg, then I would not have to pay any more points. On an AS award, if you have a mixed cabin award with one leg in F, the entire award is priced as if it is in F.

So since I paid full F fare (in points), am I entitled to get into the F lounge in DXB? I have a long layover, so it matters. I'm not sure why I should have to pay $100 per passenger just because there happen to be no F seats on the second leg, given that the price of my ticket (in miles) is the same either way.

Thanks again.
Because why would EK care what AS charges you?

If your second flight is a two-cabin aircraft and you are ticketed in an F Farbe bucket then you could get access. In this case you do not qualify. You knew you were in J for the connecting flight and chose to book those dates. You can hope that an F Seat becomes available then try change your ticket but EK will almost certainly not permit you into the F lounge as your ticket stands currently. Making a fuss will also almost certainly not help.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Because why would EK care what AS charges you?
Now it's even uglier, because the connecting flight we are looking at is a 3-cabin aircraft and we may end up in coach. So no lounge access at all, despite no change in the award price. US-DXB in First, DXB-XXX in coach on a 3-class plane.

I have been in this same situation a number of times on other airlines--US and international--and on a full fare award ticket with a forced downgrade, lounge access has been based on the award bucket of the entire ticket (ie the overseas flight)

I'm not trying to fight the rules, just trying to understand them. Thanks for the help--sounds like Emirates looks only at the forward flight to determine lounge access, no exceptions.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:41 am

Now it's even uglier, because the connecting flight we are looking at is a 3-cabin aircraft and we may end up in coach. So no lounge access at all, despite no change in the award price. US-DXB in First, DXB-XXX in coach on a 3-class plane.

I have been in this same situation a number of times on other airlines--US and international--and on a full fare award ticket with a forced downgrade, lounge access has been based on the award bucket of the entire ticket (ie the overseas flight)

I'm not trying to fight the rules, just trying to understand them. Thanks for the help--sounds like Emirates looks only at the forward flight to determine lounge access, no exceptions.
That is absolutely the case, without exception.

Why are you being forced to downgrade? Also with EK all flights are overseas flights. EK doesn't offer a single domestic flight anywhere in the world, other than CRK-CEB (unless I'm missing something, but not the point of this thread anyway)
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:39 pm

That is absolutely the case, without exception.

Why are you being forced to downgrade? Also with EK all flights are overseas flights. EK doesn't offer a single domestic flight anywhere in the world, other than CRK-CEB (unless I'm missing something, but not the point of this thread anyway)
Regarding "overseas"--bad choice of words. I was really to referring to the long, main flight, US-DXB. The second flight is short, just a few hours. But indeed, it too is overseas.

If I want to book the award--US-DXB-XXX--the cost is based on the class of service from US-DXB, so in my case it's 150K AS miles for F (US-DXB) regardless of the class I fly DXB-XXX. And it so happens that US-DXB has 1st class available, but DXB-XXX (which is a 3-class plane) has no award seats in J or F. So I pay the same 150K no matter what seat I get DXB-XXX. And as of now, only coach is available for that final leg on the flight I want. I use the term 'downgrade,' but being that I'm in the newbie lounge, that's probably the wrong term.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:44 pm

Regarding "overseas"--bad choice of words. I was really to referring to the long, main flight, US-DXB. The second flight is short, just a few hours. But indeed, it too is overseas.

If I want to book the award--US-DXB-XXX--the cost is based on the class of service from US-DXB, so in my case it's 150K AS miles for F (US-DXB) regardless of the class I fly DXB-XXX. And it so happens that US-DXB has 1st class available, but DXB-XXX (which is a 3-class plane) has no award seats in J or F. So I pay the same 150K no matter what seat I get DXB-XXX. And as of now, only coach is available for that final leg on the flight I want. I use the term 'downgrade,' but being that I'm in the newbie lounge, that's probably the wrong term.

That's an unfortunate problem to do with AS, I'd take it up with them. They are the ones pricing you in F all the way.

This is what it boils down to:

- I'm not sure what classes partner awards even book into, but if the same as EK then it'd be Z, however as Z isn't available for the 2nd leg it'd be Z + whatever the Y award class is.
- when the onward flight is operated by a 2-vlass aircraft and one is ticketed in F (any fare bucket) one can argue to get access to the lounge (it isn't explicit but reportedly usually permitted)
- don't stress over the F lounge so much, you can pay up, you can keep monitoring award space for the 2nd leg and hope something opens up (not sure if AS will allow you to change) and also look at other flights that day to your final destination.
- keep in mind that if you're in Y in the 2nd leg and have no status you won't even have access to the J lounge even if your inbound was in J or F
​​
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
EK flights AKL-EDI

Hi,
Pleased to see EK now flying into Edinburgh.
Return fares in Y for July 2019 seem to be about NZD300 less than AKL-GLA. Both via DXB of course.
Distances are almost identical.
Any ideas why and will be be an ongoing differential?
Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ardentinny
Hi,
Return fares in Y for July 2019 seem to be about NZD300 less than AKL-GLA. Both via DXB of course.
Thanks
No one ever knows why, but airline pricing has little to do with distances, certainly when differences between routes are so small. EDI is a new market, so EK is probably trying to lure new customers and build up loads, but there could be other factors to do with supply and demand, and also how the AKL-EDI market does compared to AKL-GLA. No one knows if it'll hold, but generally where there's more competition and a need for EK to improve their market position you'll find lower fares.
Ardentinny likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:06 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Ardentinny
Hi,
Thanks
No one ever knows why, but airline pricing has little to do with distances, certainly when differences between routes are so small. EDI is a new market, so EK is probably trying to lure new customers and build up loads, but there could be other factors to do with supply and demand, and also how the AKL-EDI market does compared to AKL-GLA. No one knows if it'll hold, but generally where there's more competition and a need for EK to improve their market position you'll find lower fares.
Airline pricing is one the dark arts. The thing about EDI being a new destination for EK is that it is going to have direct competition from 2 other long haul operators to/from EDI primarily for anyone going East/South. Both QR & TK offer flights to their respective hubs and onwards (albeit a codeshare with other *A carriers for TK) so can only imagine that EK are trying to entice passengers to use the EDI service in competition with the other two. There is also EY at EDI (but not for much longer) so it’ll be interesting to watch how EK performs after their Emirati cousins pull out.

I think GLA is a different ballgame. There isn’t really any direct competition for long haul particularly to the likes of Oz & NZ. On EK, both of these destinations can be done with one stop in DXB. The only other real contenders would be BA & KL (+ codeshares) off the top of my head which would both require at least 2 stops so looking at it, I think EK are of the opinion that they can afford to keep GLA prices slightly higher. Others may think differently, only my opinion.

I hope the EDI route succeeds but not to the detriment of both GLA services.

S
Ardentinny and XXTSGR like this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
How to tell if the 777-300ER will have the newest suites?

Is there a way to determine if one will be on a 777-300ER with the newest First Class suites?

I have EF, looked at the fleet thread here on FT, and have read up on the Emirates site. It appears the 1x2x1 is it (8 total seats), but as I've never flown EK before, I'm hoping someone can point out the signs.

I'd be traveling DXB-MAA or CMB/BOM, etc in July 2019. I know planes can be swapped for operational reasons, but as I'll never be able to afford F in the A380s, this is my shot.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by TTC192Rocket; Sep 3, 2018 at 8:47 pm
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:32 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
Is there a way to determine if one will be on a 777-300ER with the newest First Class suites?

I have EF, looked at the fleet thread here on FT, and have read up on the Emirates site. It appears the 1x2x1 is it (8 total seats), but as I've never flown EK before, I'm hoping someone can point out the signs.

I'd be traveling DXB-MAA or CMB/BOM, etc in July 2019. I know planes can be swapped for operational reasons, but as I'll never be able to afford F in the A380s, this is my shot.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
1-1-1, 6F seats in total, is new F. 1-2-1 is ‘old’ F.
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
If I'm flying F on a paid ticket but am crediting miles to AS, will I still get free unlimited wifi (with my Skywards #)?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by K's Logic
If I'm flying F on a paid ticket but am crediting miles to AS, will I still get free unlimited wifi (with my Skywards #)?
Unlikely, supposedly it checks the manifest and your not be identified on it as the number you're lggiloginto WiFi with isn't in the manifest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.