Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:42 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Well so far a pretty interesting experience... Not sure if I'm missing something here:

Picked 1K on NBO-DXB. BP says 1K. Get through the gate security, economy was already boarding... So I decide to wait to the end. Board. 1K occupied. Apparently onboard crew decided to allow 2K to move.

1hr into flight first class team lead introduces herself and apologizes for not greeting me during boarding.

Arrival, remote stand, wait for some single Y/J to offload to get a direct ride, five minutes later a "First class" bus arrives.. on the bus we go after sweating for 8 minutes.

A video is on loop announcing we are on a Business class transport... 28minute bus ride.

Get off bus to be funneled in with Y FlyDubai and Y randoms... At the queue exit asked if there is a First line, all the way to the other end. Go through that and see a pile of people holding random economy BPs, after walking through the metal detector manned by a dude on a personal call not monitoring anything.

Walk back to the other side to catch a packed elevator, a packed train, then another packed elevator, to wander to an escalator to the F lounge thing. 60+ minutes after parking at the remote stand.

Walk at least 4 gates worth of closed shops peddling garbage, to get to a poorly ventilated shower, then on to order a la carte full breakfast made to order with scrambled eggs (should be easy right?). Everything arrives cold, eggs and hash brown no better than the crap served in US/Can domestic lounges...

Anyhow this is just a quick jot of how clearly I do not know how to fly DXB. If anyone has hints on what to do better next time, I am dying to hear. Will go through audio shortly to write a more detailed report once I'm done the last leg.
​​​
As a blue skyward member I'm sure this will go nowhere, but lodged a complaint with a DXB station manager. Any other avenue I should pursue before my next leg?
Certainly doesn’t sound like any normal F experience and Sod’s law says that after we get your expectations high, it falls flat on its face. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your next flight will redeem the experience.

S
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:53 am

EK404 change schedule?

While booking for my flight to SIN for November, I noticed that EK 404 schedule will be changed to: 0100 DXB - 1210 SIN then continues to 1355 SIN - 00:20 MEL
Current schedule is: 0925 DXB - 2055 SIN then 2240 SIN - 0750 MEL

Meanwhile EK 405 schedule will stay unchanged, leaving MEL at 1845

I found it really weird as the plane will be parked in MEL for more than 18 hrs, and hence won't be very good for profit.
EK also has 0230 departure from DXB to SIN (EK 432) and also 0300 DXB to MEL flight (EK 408)
So seems like this new change is not necessarily made to fit connection. Wonder why then?

anyone know if this change is just temporary?

Last edited by cheyru; Aug 4, 2018 at 7:04 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:42 am

So not to labour a point but I can now afford to book F from BRU to experience the new cabin. But on the way home from HKG there seems to be 3 flights. One (the handiest) is at 5pm. But the connection for that is 9 hours in dxb (11pm to 8am or something).
Question is would they put me up in a hotel or not? I ask cos there are 3 other flight times available
I couldn't spend that in a lounge so would have to get the 1235 am flight at night instead.
Cheers guys.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by dsched
So not to labour a point but I can now afford to book F from BRU to experience the new cabin. But on the way home from HKG there seems to be 3 flights. One (the handiest) is at 5pm. But the connection for that is 9 hours in dxb (11pm to 8am or something).
Question is would they put me up in a hotel or not? I ask cos there are 3 other flight times available
I couldn't spend that in a lounge so would have to get the 1235 am flight at night instead.
Cheers guys.
No. Not if there's a shorter connection under 6hrs available, even if this means departing earlier and taking a different connecting flight or involves a higher fare.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA Blue
2 pax. Same PNR. Using miles to upgrade

Apologies if covered elsewhere.
2 pax flying DXB-MEL.
Both pax skywards members. One pax has 0 miles. One pax has 200,000+
Assuming upgrade availability pops up nearer the time.
Can both pax's upgrades be processed using one accounts' miles?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by lots@LHR
2 pax flying DXB-MEL.
Yes, no problem.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:08 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by lots@LHR
2 pax flying DXB-MEL.

Yes, it is actually the default when you do this through MMB. Log in as the member with the miles and request the upgrade.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:50 pm

Hi, just wanna ask people's opinion here
Flying SYD to MUC via DXB. No D award available SYD DXB, but DXB to MUC avail for 39k miles
Normally I'm flying Y and I would stay awake on my first leg and sleep on my second leg
I already got lounge access and I don't drink, so probably the advantage that I got is sleeping in flat bed
Do you think it worth the upgrade (39k miles) for 6hrs flight just for the sake of sleeping in flat bed?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by cheyru; Aug 11, 2018 at 12:54 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by cheyru
Hi, just wanna ask people's opinion here
Flying SYD to MUC via DXB. No D award available SYD DXB, but DXB to MUC avail for 39k miles
Normally I'm flying Y and I would stay awake on my first leg and sleep on my second leg
I already got lounge access and I don't drink, so probably the advantage that I got is sleeping in flat bed
Do you think it worth the upgrade (39k miles) for 6hrs flight just for the sake of sleeping in flat bed?
Thanks in advance
I would do it considering that you probably would not have had much sleep on the first leg.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:26 pm

I am not a frequent flyer on Emirates, and rarely fly economy... but I witnessed some very dodgy policies yesterday at dubai...

on my flight to Chennai, emirates were heavily checking weight compliance on carry on, and charging for any extra weight including the duty free bags, its that the norm on all routes or in certain routes? not thinking I will be flying them after this trip, but curious how do you manage this kind of behavior from the airlines...

Note: the Supervisor at the gate did have a list of the charges per kilo? but refused to show to the passengers in front of me who were complaining and eventually decided to return their purchases... shouldn't this be officially posted, public for the passengers.

In my case I travelled with a carry on and a personal item which exceeded the limit when combined... with no checked bags, so I offered to check my carry on (I was connecting from another flight where they did not told me of enforced such rules (No charges or checked bag was necessary) but still wondering if buying a gift at the airport will be an issue on my connecting flight...
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeBum
I am not a frequent flyer on Emirates, and rarely fly economy... but I witnessed some very dodgy policies yesterday at dubai...

on my flight to Chennai, emirates were heavily checking weight compliance on carry on, and charging for any extra weight including the duty free bags, its that the norm on all routes or in certain routes? not thinking I will be flying them after this trip, but curious how do you manage this kind of behavior from the airlines...

Note: the Supervisor at the gate did have a list of the charges per kilo? but refused to show to the passengers in front of me who were complaining and eventually decided to return their purchases... shouldn't this be officially posted, public for the passengers.

In my case I travelled with a carry on and a personal item which exceeded the limit when combined... with no checked bags, so I offered to check my carry on (I was connecting from another flight where they did not told me of enforced such rules (No charges or checked bag was necessary) but still wondering if buying a gift at the airport will be an issue on my connecting flight...
It's common on some routes where pax tend to systematically abuse the allowances. You're complaining that they're enforcing a published allowance?

The problem with these flights (I don't like generalising but this is more prevalent on routes to India, and I fly these routes very frequently) is with everyone 5kg over suddenly the entire aircraft weighs much more but also there is not enough space for everyone's bags
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:08 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Here is just one post of many with regards to hand baggage on Indian routes. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29487737-post182.html

EK do face some challenges on certain routes. They do give a generous check in allowance compared to a lot of other airlines but their hand baggage allowance does appear to be fairly stingy in the run of things. They are quite lenient on some routes (if not the majority) but on certain routes, they do have to enforce the limit otherwise it can become a safety issue onboard.

My EK travels involved travelling between GLA & PEK for the best part of 2 years and never witnessed hand baggage enforcement at any of the three airports whereas some of our fellow FTers are faced with it the majority of times they travel from their departure and transit points due to EK policing the issue more stringently.

The overhead locker space in Y is not infinite (contrary to popular belief) and EK know which routes to focus on where passengers will carry everything, including the kitchen sink, in the cabin if they could.

This doesn’t help if you only travel with hand baggage but at least the option will be there to check it in if you are forced to without any charge if you have not used your checked in baggage allowance.

S
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:54 pm

Not complaining the enforcement of rules, but if someone from the airline comes with a piece of paper with fares, and does not allow them to read it... sounds dodgy.

The person had actually 3 kilo extras and there was some sort of negotiations to charge only 2 kilos.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74

Here is just one post of many with regards to hand baggage on Indian routes. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29487737-post182.html

EK do face some challenges on certain routes. They do give a generous check in allowance compared to a lot of other airlines but their hand baggage allowance does appear to be fairly stingy in the run of things. They are quite lenient on some routes (if not the majority) but on certain routes, they do have to enforce the limit otherwise it can become a safety issue onboard.

Thank you for your reply, its more clear now
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:02 pm

Not complaining the enforcement of rules, but if someone from the airline comes with a piece of paper with fares, and does not allow them to read it... sounds dodgy.

The person had actually 3 kilo extras and there was some sort of negotiations to charge only 2 kilos.
Yes, I am not sure if this is policy or just a rogue agent, however a reason may have been to precisely prevent haggling and negotiating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.