Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Paid extra legroom seating for Platinums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid extra legroom seating for Platinums

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
Originally Posted by ioto1902
If these seats are becoming free at check-in time, why didn't they let you have it ? Were they available ( = not occupied) ?
Anybody knows the SOP ?
They were definitely not occupied, so I am assuming they (check in agents) didn't want to give them to people who hadn't paid.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by mannimagus
They were definitely not occupied, so I am assuming they (check in agents) didn't want to give them to people who hadn't paid.
Quite strange.

Does it mean that these guy are respecting strictly the SOP (and not the others agents) ?
Or does it mean that these guys are interpreting the policy on their own ?

Anybody has any idea ?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Seats (incl exit) are definitely free of charge at check-in, I asked EK on Twitter yesterday but forgot to post here:

BTW: This is where an EK Lurker would be really helpful...
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Seats (incl exit) are definitely free of charge at check-in, I asked EK on Twitter yesterday but forgot to post here:

I do not agree that it would necessarily be helpful and could well just spout out some general verbiage about seating and spam about some unrelated EK news/offer
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I do not agree that it would necessarily be helpful and could well just spout out some general verbiage about seating and spam about some unrelated EK news/offer
Yes, you said.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A

Exactly! Same reply from the Twitter team I had when asking about this subject last week.^
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex

Thanks for that! Will keep this handy next time the check in agent tries to stone-wall me.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Does anybody know how up to date the seat maps are on expert flyer for any particular flight?

I have been holding off on purchasing an extra legroom seat for a flight on Monday due to the flight being half empty. I have been checking it every day however as of this morning it is now pretty much full compared to yesterday. I thought it might have been to do with online check in however that has not quite yet opened. What are the chances of so many purchases to a flight just over 48 hours before departure?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Will08
Does anybody know how up to date the seat maps are on expert flyer for any particular flight?

I have been holding off on purchasing an extra legroom seat for a flight on Monday due to the flight being half empty. I have been checking it every day however as of this morning it is now pretty much full compared to yesterday. I thought it might have been to do with online check in however that has not quite yet opened. What are the chances of so many purchases to a flight just over 48 hours before departure?
EF is pretty much real-time in my experience. Most likely EK has just assigned seats to everyone as OLCI will be opening soon.
Will08 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
What do you think..... (btw, am a Gold card member on a Flex ticket)

Just come off a flight (in Y) and connecting to another flight (in Y) tomorrow which leaves in 26 hours. I went to flight connections to see if I could get a bulkhead as I see that row 17 (on the 777) is completely free.

Now, I think Bulkhead seats are only available for assignment at the airport within 24 hours so was sort of expecting to be refused but what concerned me is that the lady at the desk said that this was a paid for seat (which it has never been and I have reserved at the airport many times for free). I talked with her supervisor who also said that extra legroom seats were chargeable. Obviously I directed her to the EK website where it states that extra legroom = exit row and row 17 is not an exit row but she said that her controller had said it is a paid for seat and I can't have it.

So, I went through immigration (as obviously not going to spend the 26 hour connecting time in the airport) and went to the F/J check in area to ask if this was a change in policy. The lady there said that under the new rules bassinet/bulkhead were now only free/released at the airport from 6 hours before the flight unless the flight was really empty and they might release earlier. She also seemed hazy re paying. She said this was new ASOP but I think she was just trying to come up with an excuse.

It could be because I was asking at T-26 rather than T-23.59 that I couldn't have the bulkhead and I am fine with that. However, I am not fine if they think bulkhead = extra legroom seat that is paid for (unless they want to update the website), and would also be interested if the policy of only releasing bulkhead/basinet 6 hours before flight departure is a change from the previous 24 or whether this (6 hour limit) was always the case and is only now being applied.

Update....

I called up Emirate when I got home and asked them re the above. A person "Trained to meet the special needs of Gold Card members" answered the phone.

First he told me row 17 was an exit - after a bit of persuading, he finally agreed that it wasn't

Told me Extra Legroom fees included Bulkhead seats - I asked him to read his own website and policies and he finally conceded that Bulkhead is not part of extra legroom charges

He then told me economy is split up into 3 sections and the seats at the front are chargeable for everyone. I again referred him to the EK website and he agreed that Gold members don't have to pay for preferred seating.

He then said he would ring the airport. He did and said that they would try and assign me in row 17 but that I may be charged. At this point I asked to speak with his supervisor. Supervisor came on and agreed that bulkhead is not chargeable and that he would ask airport control if they could allocate me row 17. He stated he was not empowered to write to me to confirm that row 17 is not chargeable and that I needed to make a complaint. I advised him to train his staff along with the controllers and the connection desk as why should I waste my time trying to get EK to enforce their own policies.

Last edited by moral_low_ground; Sep 29, 2017 at 6:05 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I advised him to train his staff along with the controllers and the connection desk as why should I waste my time trying to get EK to enforce their own policies.
Clearly, there is a training failure here with respect to the new policies.

The situation is complicated by the fact that you are within the check-in window, but that doesn't justify the confusion.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by extramileage
Clearly, there is a training failure here with respect to the new policies.

The situation is complicated by the fact that you are within the check-in window, but that doesn't justify the confusion.
As well as that, there is a problem with the copy that gets sent to be published.

Clearly EK want to charge for any bulkhead row which has extra leg room.

However, that, in translation, came out as "exit row" - obviously in their minds a bulkhead row is an exit row, but any frequent traveller would say an exit row requires an...exit...to be classed as such (that's the obvious reading).

One wonders what the actual decision process of devising and publishing new policy is...
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:34 am

I've just traveled DUB-DXB-KUL as a gold member for the first time since the new seating rules and from what I can tell the app classes any exit or bulk head row as "extra leg room" and I would have to pay pre check in to pick one. At online check in I couldn't select them without charge either. Once checked in, they were all marked as taken and I couldn't select them. Get to the airport to drop the bag where they were happy to assign an extra leg room seat to me free of charge on the first leg. They couldn't do the second leg as it was too early for those seats to be released so had to wait and see what was left when I got to DXB, where in the lounge they were happy to assign any that weren't already taken. With the tight layovers though there's not always time and on full flights they'd probably already be gone...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.