Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Paid extra legroom seating for Platinums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid extra legroom seating for Platinums

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
That's like saying Plats should be getting unlimited complimentary upgrades, and them not getting it is a devaluation of the FF program, even though unlimited complimentary upgrades has never existed as a perk to anyone. EK not offering Plats something as a perk, which has never been a perk, isn't a devaluation. In fact I find in recent months EK has in fact greatly improved the Skywards program through additional perks to FF members:

- Plats get complimentary selection of Twins and preferred seats, while Golds get complimentary selection of Preferred seats, something for which other members have to pay
- Free seat selection for entire itinerary for Golds and Plats, regardless of fare type
- Unlimited Free Wifi inflight, even in Y for Gold and Plats

Sure, the implementation of seat selection fees and the increase in Wifi pricing are devaluations of the EK product, but not of the frequent flyer program, the frequent flyer program has increased value as a result of that general devaluation of product.
I can't agree.

Talking about Plat.
Seat selection was free, it is still free : no improvement.
Exit seat was available at check-in, it is now charged : no improvement.
Op-up probabilities - though not listed as perk - are lower : no improvement.
No more gift for reaching Plat : no improvement.

Just because a perk is not listed, you just can't say it is not a due. As long as it is widely known and given, it becomes 'de facto' a perk. Even laws recognize this kind of phenomenon.

Anyway, customer relation is a matter of perception, and the changes above can be felt as a decline in status.

As for wifi, I was ' connected' more than a dozen times. Only once, could I retrieve e-mails. ONCE. I was not over black-out territory and I tried several phones from different countries (o/w one from Dubai).

Last edited by ioto1902; Aug 31, 2017 at 8:30 am
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ioto1902
I can't agree.

Talking about Plat.
Seat selection was free, it is still free : no devaluation.
Exit seat was available at check-in, it still is for free : no devaluation.
Op-up probabilities - though not listed as perk - are higher : improvement. [You may have missed it but Plats are back at the top, above any kind of Flex Plus Fare]
No more gift for reaching Plat : no improvement.

Just because a perk are not listed, you just can't say it is not a due. As long as it is widely known and given, it becomes 'de facto' a perk. Even laws recognize this kind of phenomenon.

When were exit rows ever given in advance to Plats for free?

As for wifi, I was ' connected' more than a dozen times. Only once, could I retrieve e-mails. ONCE. I was not over black-out territory and I tried several phones from different countries (o/w one from Dubai).
Fixed it for you.

As for wifi, you should fly less A380s and more 777s, I regularly use Wifi without issue (my last EK772 was very slow, but still functional, including e-mails)

Relative to the average EK flyer, Plats now have more benefits than a year ago.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by josep
But the whole game with elite FFs is that they get 'perks' that others don't get, and that the airline creates a differentiated service level for elites, so they feel better treated than 'regular' customers, and keep spending with that airline.

Objectively, elite FFs have exactly the same deal now than before: there is no privilege for elites in choosing emergency seats.

However, in the past, there was a clear logic as to why elites were not getting that priilege: emergency seats could only be allocated at the airport, because of security reasons.

Now, with allocation for emergency seats being possible ahead of time, the question is why Elites are not getting that as a benefit? The airline does not want to give them that benefit cleary, which automatically reduces the perceived value of being elite, in my view at least.

In summary, although objectively the 'value' of benefits for Elites has not decreased, the perception of those benefits has decreased in my view.
I agree, but only on the objective basis that most people who enjoyed free selection now have to pay making the overall EK experience degraded.

Within the programme though, elites have valuable benefits precisely because they are not affected by these changes by virtue of their position.

Obviously it doesn't mean objectively they have anything better, but I don't think we can argue that elites are getting a bad deal, or at least, the same deal as others.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: EK Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Spire Elite Royal Ambassador
If you are Plat and have a flex plus ticket, I think it should be free.i sent them a complaint today explaining why and a supervisor from Dubai called me within 30mins. He said that I wasn't the only one complaining and they were reviewing it now. He hinted that it might be changed in the coming months. He told me that he has had to call people all day for the last 10 days about this!

Last edited by Ozziebob; Aug 31, 2017 at 11:55 am
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Will08
LHR - DXB, checked in 4 hours prior to the flight.
I don't think that's enough to guarantee a leg rom seat. They've been available to all passengers for two hours prior to that (free) and could easily have been snapped up.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: EK Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Spire Elite Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by ft101
I don't think that's enough to guarantee a leg rom seat. They've been available to all passengers for two hours prior to that (free) and could easily have been snapped up.
I know what you mean, but 6hrs before is not possible (unless you are connecting). You can only do it at the airport and not online. Most check-ins open 3-4hrs before the flights, so turning up 6hrs before the flight is meaningless as check-in is not open... I explained that to the supervisor who called and he said that he also thought the 6hr thing was an odd thing to do
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Ozziebob
I know what you mean, but 6hrs before is not possible (unless you are connecting). You can only do it at the airport and not online. Most check-ins open 3-4hrs before the flights, so turning up 6hrs before the flight is meaningless as check-in is not open... I explained that to the supervisor who called and he said that he also thought the 6hr thing was an odd thing to do
Not at all. I often do it as I'm sure so do others. I don't want to post it on an open forum, but PM me if you want to know how (regular/frequent posters only).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If there are multiple flights a day from the airport , it can be possible to check in earlier in the day whilst the check in is still open for an earlier flight
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If there are multiple flights a day from the airport , it can be possible to check in earlier in the day whilst the check in is still open for an earlier flight
True, but this isn't the case for the airports I fly in and out of (CPH as an example)
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:48 am

I am travelling CPH-DXB-BKK on monday and from what I can see on Experflyer, hardly any of the paid emergency row seats have been bought by anyone. I don't think that this is going to be much of an economic success for EK. I think that I have at least the same chance of getting these seats at the airport as I did before the new system came in
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Ozziebob
I am travelling CPH-DXB-BKK on monday and from what I can see on Experflyer, hardly any of the paid emergency row seats have been bought by anyone. I don't think that this is going to be much of an economic success for EK. I think that I have at least the same chance of getting these seats at the airport as I did before the new system came in
​​​​​​
define economic success? Their only cost pretty much is the IT change, which they were doing for twin and preferred seats anyway, so presumably very little marginal cost. If they sell 2 exit row seats per flight on average that's still an extra X$ they didn't have before.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:22 pm

​​​​​​
define economic success? Their only cost pretty much is the IT change, which they were doing for twin and preferred seats anyway, so presumably very little marginal cost. If they sell 2 exit row seats per flight on average that's still an extra X$ they didn't have before.
True, but in starting to charge, they run the risk of losing customers and may lose more than the extra revue they create
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
​​​​​​
How many platinums per flight vs. no of exit row seats on average? Could they still sell a couple of seats and keep platinums happy?

To me, adding the possibility to pre-book exit rows but then charging the most loyal customers is a bit of a downgrade. Basically then saying you have the same opportunity to get that seat as someone with no status at all.

How about, available seats can be reserved for free earlier than the window for other customers? How about, offering it at a discount to Platinums? It is worse to offer something and not differentiate, than to never offer it in the same place.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ung1
To me, adding the possibility to pre-book exit rows but then charging the most loyal customers is a bit of a downgrade. Basically then saying you have the same opportunity to get that seat as someone with no status at all.

How about, available seats can be reserved for free earlier than the window for other customers? How about, offering it at a discount to Platinums? It is worse to offer something and not differentiate, than to never offer it in the same place.
It is still no different - all had the same opportunity at the airport , now all have the same opportunity to purchase ; how is everyone having the same level of chance of getting a seat now any worse than all getting at the airport

It seems that many suggesting exemptions think that EK should set up exceptions that would enable them to get the seats for free whilst others have to pay

It seems a good thing to enable exit row selection and an encouragement for those that want exit seating to book
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is still no different - all had the same opportunity at the airport , now all have the same opportunity to purchase ; how is everyone having the same level of chance of getting a seat now any worse than all getting at the airport

It seems that many suggesting exemptions think that EK should set up exceptions that would enable them to get the seats for free whilst others have to pay

It seems a good thing to enable exit row selection and an encouragement for those that want exit seating to book
I am most likely going to lose Gold going into the next year so for me the chance of being able to prebook a leg room seat and get to the airport 90 mins before my flight with no lounge access is more appealing than having to get there early.

I do agree however that it is frustrating that those with status don't have any sort of priority. There is nothing worse than being one row behind the legroom seats with your chin resting on your knees when the purser comes round to greet you and asks is there anything they can do for you. This is annoying for two reasons -

They cant swap you with anybody on the front row (the one thing you want them to do) and by deduction nobody on the front row was greeted you know they aren't at least Gold.

On future flights I may well be sat next to somebody who chanced it at the airport and didn't pay. I cant be annoyed by this - they chose to risk it I didn't.

How will this impact Op ups though? Two gold both sat in economy with flex plus tickets, one has paid for extra legroom one hasn't...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.