Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Paid extra legroom seating for Platinums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid extra legroom seating for Platinums

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I wouldn't say it's all bad for top tier pax - the only seats Platinums (and any pax on their PNR) pay for is the emergency exit row, which was never selectable: you had to get to the airport early to snag it.

All other seats are free, such as the twin and up front.

I do see that QF CL gets the same treatment but QF plat and plat one are the same as Skywards Gold!

Skywards Silver/Gold can choose a normal seat, so this is the same as BA?
Is qf plat the same as skywards gold yet they get the EK plat privileges?! What a joke although there isn't many privileges- plats should get seat selection free whether in an exit row or not.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m3red
Is qf plat the same as skywards gold yet they get the EK plat privileges?! What a joke although there isn't many privileges- plats should get seat selection free whether in an exit row or not.
No it isn't - Qantas Platinum is the same as Skywards Platinum ; each Qamtas status (Silver , Gold and Platinum ) maps to the same colour on Skywards

Qantas also charges its platinum members for exit row seating
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Do extra legroom seats include bulkhead seats (ie Row 17 on a 777) or is row 17 just "Preferred"
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Do extra legroom seats include bulkhead seats (ie Row 17 on a 777) or is row 17 just "Preferred"
The website specifies that it's an exit row, which would exclude bulkheads.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ion/index.aspx
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by m3red
In the agreement it's QF Plat = EK Plat - although EK try as much as they can to treat QF Plats worse than EK Plat (that is making QF CL equivalent to EK Plat) they are bound by the terms.

Hence when they can get away with it: like seat selection here, they do!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Phoned EK to ask them to clarify the charges and they can't.
My point was the charge states between £25 to £85 for a silver to select a 2 seater but they don't how much exactly it would be.
She said you wont know until you've booked the flight.
Yet when they introduced the fees for selecting seats last year they published just how much it would cost people per leg and per destination.
So you have no idea how much your final fare will be until you've paid for the ticket.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: EK Silver, BA Blue, MH Blue
Had a look at some seat maps for an upcoming flight, and it seems like the 'Preferred' seating includes all of the upper deck on a 2-class A380 and all of the front cabin of the lower deck (which is interesting if both lower deck doors are used for embarking/disembarking, as the second Y cabin can often get off fairly quickly too).

On a 2-class 777 it seems like it is just rows 8-12 that have been blocked. I'm not about to test this out by deselecting my seat that is currently amid the twins!

On a DXB-UK, 2-class 777:
- a preferred seat is $40
- a twin seat is $55
- a extra-legroom seat is $95

On a UK-DXB, 3-class A380:
- an extra-legroom seat is $95

On DXB-KUL, 2-class A380:
- a preferred seat is $40 (lower deck) and $55 (upper deck)
- a twin seat $80 (upper deck only)
- a extra-legroom seat is $95 (lower deck only)

While UK-DXB and DXB-KUL (or SE Asia) fall into different Skyward redemption brackets (despite being of almost similar stage lengths), the seat fees seem to be the same.

What is frustrating is the added complexity this is all bringing - four types of seats (each priced differently), with different entitlements based on fare type, and further variations based on Skywards status.

As a solo traveller I can't imagine forking out for any of these. The added value of Silver over the past year, in being able to snag the twins on a 2-class A380 or 777, seems like it has gone for me now - there's little difference between the rest of the 'regular' seats if that is the sole Silver benefit when it comes to seat selection.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by sant2585
Had a look at some seat maps for an upcoming flight, and it seems like the 'Preferred' seating includes all of the upper deck on a 2-class A380 and all of the front cabin of the lower deck (which is interesting if both lower deck doors are used for embarking/disembarking, as the second Y cabin can often get off fairly quickly too).

On a 2-class 777 it seems like it is just rows 8-12 that have been blocked. I'm not about to test this out by deselecting my seat that is currently amid the twins!

On a DXB-UK, 2-class 777:
- a twin seat is $55
- a extra-legroom seat is $95

On a UK-DXB, 3-class A380:
- an extra-legroom seat is $95

On DXB-KUL, 2-class A380:
- a preferred seat is $40 (lower deck) and $55 (upper deck)
- a twin seat $80 (upper deck only)
- a extra-legroom seat is $95 (lower deck only)

While UK-DXB and DXB-KUL (or SE Asia) fall into different Skyward redemption brackets (despite being of almost similar stage lengths), the seat fees seem to be the same.

What is frustrating is the added complexity this is all bringing - four types of seats (each priced differently), with different entitlements based on fare type, and further variations based on Skywards status.

As a solo traveller I can't imagine forking out for any of these. The added value of Silver over the past year, in being able to snag the twins on a 2-class A380 or 777, seems like it has gone for me now - there's little difference between the rest of the 'regular' seats if that is the sole Silver benefit when it comes to seat selection.
Thanks for that. Is it on MMB?
Maybe I cant see anything as we are in J and F our next trip?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by daisymay2
Thanks for that. Is it on MMB?
Maybe I cant see anything as we are in J and F our next trip?
That would seem rather likely...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:33 pm

Why on earth EK don't put the prices on the site like they did when the pay for seat concept was initially introduced is beyond me.
Not helpful at all to people when they won't know the total price including seat fees.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by sant2585
Worse than that, the website also says prices vary according to season, so it becomes even more complicated.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Having only just come across this I enquired about extra legroom seats for a flight this afternoon. Two separate agents have said that flights booked prior to the 20th Aug are unable to purchase the extra legroom seats. Hopefully most people are in the same boat for this particular flight so I should still grab one at the airport.

However I then enquired about flights I have booked for November and its the same situation. Outbound isnt an issue as we are in J but our return Singapore - UK we are unable to purchase extra legroom seats for the same reason as above. However as its quite a while off, every one who books post 20th will be able to do so.

Anybody else got the same problem? Is there a work around?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Skywards, Silver
For an airline like Emirates I find this a very half-hearted attempt at cashing in without making any efforts.
It makes it seem like they are too cheap to make a Premium Economy class, but want to "pretend" they have one. Its like changing the color of a seat and claiming it to be "special".
I would expect this from a low-budget airline, but certainly not Emirates.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:20 am

Any idea if asking nicely will still work? I used to get it all the time by just asking at check in counter.

$55 is a lot though, I booked a flight DXB-MNL return on a LCC for that price and a got the exit seat for free as well (which was normally paid seat)
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by GingerAroundTheWorld
Any idea if asking nicely will still work? I used to get it all the time by just asking at check in counter.

$55 is a lot though, I booked a flight DXB-MNL return on a LCC for that price and a got the exit seat for free as well (which was normally paid seat)
I think all seats are free at check-in? At least at airport check-in they should.

I like this change if it means the back fills up faster than the front mini-cabin on the 77W as that's where I like to sit but makes an empty middle harder when the EK seat algorithm kicks in at check-in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.