Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Skywards silver
I Have a j saver flight in July LGW-SIN rtn.
Only need 1000 more tier miles until silver, so I will hopefully turn silver after the first sector is flown.
will I then earn the the slightly more miles for a silver member on the return sector?
or will I only receive the 7500 skywards miles for the return as the ticket was booked as a blue member?
cheers
Old May 3, 2018, 3:13 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
I Have a j saver flight in July LGW-SIN rtn.
Only need 1000 more tier miles until silver, so I will hopefully turn silver after the first sector is flown.
will I then earn the the slightly more miles for a silver member on the return sector?
or will I only receive the 7500 skywards miles for the return as the ticket was booked as a blue member?
cheers
You will get the silver bonus on the return flight. I had exactly the same situation a few months ago.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Originally Posted by thijsseh
You will get the silver bonus on the return flight. I had exactly the same situation a few months ago.
excellent. Thanks very much for your swift reply.
its a shame silver is the highest I will ever get.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
A recent quote from pprune... disgruntled flight crew talking about US legacy carriers (DL mostly) vs EK

Let’s put the gun debate in proper prospective. Since 1980 there have been about 450 people die on school campus’ from firearms and that includes suicides and accidental discharges. Although that number is too high that averages about one a month and we as Emirates pilots are far more likely to be harmed on SZR than being effected by a gun.
Is it THAT bad driving on SZR or in Dubai in general? I've driven myself in both free flowing traffic as well as stop and go on SZR as well as E311 (Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed) and found it to be NO different than LA where I lived for many years. Plenty of d-bags in cars too powerful for their driving ability, and plenty driving cars that were never meant to be driven like that driven like they are driving, say... an M3.

Recently I've had a rash of doing stupid s*t and realizing it was really dangerous after the fact... like swimming in 12-foot shorebreak at Sandy Beach in Oahu (
), so help me out here. Is it like the Matrix, where they say that the freeways are to be avoided at all costs?
Old May 5, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
It's a bit of a silly comparison. How many gun deaths per 100k people in the US Vs UAE is a better comparison. And how many road deaths per 100k people. Comparing road deaths to gun deaths is meaningless. And what's his/her point anyway? That the US is a better place to work because it's safer? EK pays higher (supposedly) because they need to convince people to relocate
Old May 5, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It's a bit of a silly comparison. How many gun deaths per 100k people in the US Vs UAE is a better comparison. And how many road deaths per 100k people. Comparing road deaths to gun deaths is meaningless. And what's his/her point anyway? That the US is a better place to work because it's safer? EK pays higher (supposedly) because they need to convince people to relocate
I don't think we'd ever find out gun deaths in the UAE, the lack of free press (a real one, not one that is bought and paid for like the one in the US) would prevent that. Supposedly the overall murder rate is 4x the US in the UAE. (Source: https://www.thenational.ae/uae/uae-a...n-gcc-1.320186)

But yes, the overall premise is ridiculous that the UAE is a better place to live solely on gun death statistics. The rest of the thread goes on to say that they would never send their kids to public school because of the "risk", that they're better off in private schools in the UAE. But they all gladly drive on SZR
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Metanoia
I don't think we'd ever find out gun deaths in the UAE, the lack of free press (a real one, not one that is bought and paid for like the one in the US) would prevent that. Supposedly the overall murder rate is 4x the US in the UAE. (Source: https://www.thenational.ae/uae/uae-a...n-gcc-1.320186)

But yes, the overall premise is ridiculous that the UAE is a better place to live solely on gun death statistics. The rest of the thread goes on to say that they would never send their kids to public school because of the "risk", that they're better off in private schools in the UAE. But they all gladly drive on SZR
I thought the post was that the US is better? Must've misunderstood it. Every place has its pros and cons, to me personally gun violence alone wouldn't be a deciding factor, but then I live in Cape Town, so every day there's a 76% chance I'll be hit by a stray bullet (made up statistic for humour, this isn't Omni so we should have careful where this conversation goes...)
Old May 5, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Let's not drag ourselves into the prrune discussions! I know it's a small subset of pilots, but it reflects quite poorly on their professionalism.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Supposedly the overall murder rate is 4x the US in the UAE.
Eh?

US : 14,827
UK : 653
UAE : 235
Old May 5, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Eh?

US : 14,827
UK : 653
UAE : 235
Per capita perhaps? Though still a stretch. Can't imagine the UAE murder rate being higher than the US though
Old May 5, 2018, 3:05 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Have been in 2 crashes on SZR since 2009. One involving a taxi merging off at Jebel Ali and then hitting a Range Rover. The other was a CD prang into a taxi doing the same thing at JLT. I’m sure some here would have asked for miles in compensation!
Old May 5, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by extramileage
Let's not drag ourselves into the prrune discussions! I know it's a small subset of pilots, but it reflects quite poorly on their professionalism.
Apologies, I actually was aiming more to bring up driving in Dubai - I failed to edit the quote well enough to steer the conversation...
Old May 13, 2018, 2:42 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Absolutely nothing to do with EK, but as per thread title, I’ve just woken up from a 10 hour sleep (and no alcohol involved). Totally unheard of but so happy thought I would share with my fellow EK Forum members ��.

On a specific EK note (or lack of), I live right under the flightpath to GLA. Been home 1 week now and have not seen 1 EK 77W on it’s approach to GLA. Always enjoy hearing the sound of the big bird and looking up to the sky with its very distinctive belly displaying the Emirates signage. GLA doesn’t get a lot of ‘heavies’ so it is nice to see but the only one I’ve seen so far is a VS 744. Come on EK, you are being elusive....

Safe & Happy Travels all

S
Old May 13, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Absolutely nothing to do with EK, but as per thread title, I’ve just woken up from a 10 hour sleep (and no alcohol involved). Totally unheard of but so happy thought I would share with my fellow EK Forum members ��.

On a specific EK note (or lack of), I live right under the flightpath to GLA. Been home 1 week now and have not seen 1 EK 77W on it’s approach to GLA. Always enjoy hearing the sound of the big bird and looking up to the sky with its very distinctive belly displaying the Emirates signage. GLA doesn’t get a lot of ‘heavies’ so it is nice to see but the only one I’ve seen so far is a VS 744. Come on EK, you are being elusive....

Safe & Happy Travels all

S
My grandmother used to live under the flight path of the Concorde taking off from CDG. Always a sight (and sound!) worth lifting your head up for, every day, at about 11:15am...
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: EK Silver, BA Blue, MH Blue
Off-topic (right thread for it, right?), but of interest for design nerds: came across an interesting blogpost by a map designer showing the thought-process and design choices for redesigning the in-flight magazine route map (an unnamed client in the blogpost, but clearly for EK). I can't remember when the last time I opened the magazine (straight onto ICE the moment I'm seated in Y), but I thought it was a cool bit of design work to reimagine the EK route map.

https://somethingaboutmaps.wordpress...rline-mapping/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.