Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Just have to say that Qatar Airways in J are top notch. CPT-DOH yesterday and boy oh boy what a treat.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by sant2585
Off-topic (right thread for it, right?), but of interest for design nerds: came across an interesting blogpost by a map designer showing the thought-process and design choices for redesigning the in-flight magazine route map (an unnamed client in the blogpost, but clearly for EK). I can't remember when the last time I opened the magazine (straight onto ICE the moment I'm seated in Y), but I thought it was a cool bit of design work to reimagine the EK route map.

https://somethingaboutmaps.wordpress...rline-mapping/
Perfectly on-topic off-topic.

Interesting read. I like how, as it so often happens, "In the end, the client eventually preferred a more traditional representation"
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Advice on maximizing a trip?

Hi all - I'm soon to fly Mumbai to Dubai to Seattle in Emirates J.

If anyone has tips to maximize the experience I would appreciate hearing them. FWIW I have zero status with Emirates.

I'm looking forward to the bar on the 380 out of Mumbai but unsure if I will get to it - the flight leaves at 4:30AM (if it is one of the very few flights that leave Mumbai on time.)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Harry Harry
Advice on maximizing a trip?

Hi all - I'm soon to fly Mumbai to Dubai to Seattle in Emirates J.

If anyone has tips to maximize the experience I would appreciate hearing them. FWIW I have zero status with Emirates.

I'm looking forward to the bar on the 380 out of Mumbai but unsure if I will get to it - the flight leaves at 4:30AM (if it is one of the very few flights that leave Mumbai on time.)
Hey Harry,

I was on EK501 out of BOM yesterday (the 4:30am one) and it was on time, we arrived in DXB 15 minutes early, and the bar should be available.

Try get good seats, on the A380 23A/K are nice, in the 77W 7A/K in the forward mini-cabin are quite good. Make sure to try the wines and cocktails, EK have added some cool new cocktails in J over the past year, such as an Espresso Martini. if you don't get one ask if they have any amenity kits onboard, make sure you get a mattress pad to sleep on the longer flight to SEA, and get a polaroid photo at the bar (ask the crew, they have a camera for this, it's free)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Hey Harry,

I was on EK501 out of BOM yesterday (the 4:30am one) and it was on time, we arrived in DXB 15 minutes early, and the bar should be available.

Try get good seats, on the A380 23A/K are nice, in the 77W 7A/K in the forward mini-cabin are quite good. Make sure to try the wines and cocktails, EK have added some cool new cocktails in J over the past year, such as an Espresso Martini. if you don't get one ask if they have any amenity kits onboard, make sure you get a mattress pad to sleep on the longer flight to SEA, and get a polaroid photo at the bar (ask the crew, they have a camera for this, it's free)

Thanks Skywardhunter - I think I have 23k already from advice I read on this forum. Cocktails and photos it is.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: BA:GOLD
Flew from DXB to CAI last Saturday, the plane (A6-EBO) was old and my IFE (7A) was not working even after a couple of resets so I changed seat to 10K which was half broken as I couldn't move the seat parts individually. The FA was trying to justify that the seat only had a few presets positions, I hope she was aware of how the seat works and not just trying to fool me.

Flew to LYS via DXB the next day in Y, it seems that EK doesn't greet QF platinum anymore, it was a nice gesture before. I decline the lunch service on the flight to LYS (the black Angus tenderloin was cooked to perfection in the F lounge) and the FA asked me if I was staff (I'm not), I wonder if staff usually skip meals in Y...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by frausflyer
Flew from DXB to CAI last Saturday, the plane (A6-EBO) was old and my IFE (7A) was not working even after a couple of resets so I changed seat to 10K which was half broken as I couldn't move the seat parts individually. The FA was trying to justify that the seat only had a few presets positions, I hope she was aware of how the seat works and not just trying to fool me.

Flew to LYS via DXB the next day in Y, it seems that EK doesn't greet QF platinum anymore, it was a nice gesture before. I decline the lunch service on the flight to LYS (the black Angus tenderloin was cooked to perfection in the F lounge) and the FA asked me if I was staff (I'm not), I wonder if staff usually skip meals in Y...
greetings are intermittent sometimes, I don't get one on every flight (EK Gold)
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Hey folks,
anyone have any knowledge if it’s cheaper to buy cigarettes in Singapore changi duty free or in Dubai duty free?
thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
Hey folks,
anyone have any knowledge if it’s cheaper to buy cigarettes in Singapore changi duty free or in Dubai duty free?
thanks.
I'd also like to know this, but with Hong Kong and Dubai
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by mitellic
DXB in transit, duty free on arrival is more expensive.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:54 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by mitellic
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
DXB in transit, duty free on arrival is more expensive.
From memory, I think HKG & DXB are very similar in pricing, around the £20 mark for 200 (although brand dependent).

S
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74

From memory, I think HKG & DXB are very similar in pricing, around the £20 mark for 200 (although brand dependent).

S
DXB cheaper and employees much more friendlier.
EYrevanchist likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:28 am

Tsk tsk... no good news to hear from EK's little brother.

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviati...ours-1.2258832
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:05 am

Hello all from the BA forum :-)

I'm fortunate enough to have a work travel policy that includes Emirates and 2-3 times and year take the following flights

London - SE asia (either KL, Sin or BKK) generally in J, followed by some non EK flights and return HKG - London usually in F

Thanks to the advice i received on this thread last year i'm maximising the benefits of this but for the last 3 trips have credited my miles to Alaska (currently sat on around 130K)

Given i could probably get myself to EK gold i was wondering what the views were on the reward scheme, on paper it wouldn't appear to offer me much other than the points bonuses. For reference i usually hit BA gold due to other flights and Avios is my main miles scheme

Any opinions?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by AndyUK_101
Hello all from the BA forum :-)

Given i could probably get myself to EK gold i was wondering what the views were on the reward scheme, on paper it wouldn't appear to offer me much other than the points bonuses. For reference i usually hit BA gold due to other flights and Avios is my main miles scheme

Any opinions?
You are right: If you fly J/F on EK anyway, there is limited value to Gold status other than bonus points, as you mention. There is marginal benefit on the Op Up priority list, but only within Fare Class (Fare Class trumps Status level unless Plat).

You can use the miles for upgrades, but you can also transfer points into Skywards from Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.