Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auto upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by m3red
It's never worked for me this - currently on this for a flight from LGW in 2 weeks - empty in F and very quiet in J.

The theme is EK don't want people to use miles anymore....
Heavily agree , really noticed a change from trying to extort your miles to now trying to get you to wait until you are at the gate before the even consider doing a upgrade with miles. This obviously allows them to now try and squeeze every bit of opportunity to try get pax with cash to cash in on a upgrade which = profit.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Heavily agree , really noticed a change from trying to extort your miles to now trying to get you to wait until you are at the gate before the even consider doing a upgrade with miles. This obviously allows them to now try and squeeze every bit of opportunity to try get pax with cash to cash in on a upgrade which = profit.
EK also will not have to pay for the chauffeur drive or the lounge in some cases this way.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:46 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by m3red
It's never worked for me this - currently on this for a flight from LGW in 2 weeks - empty in F and very quiet in J.

The theme is EK don't want people to use miles anymore....
Have you checked (or are you checking) availability via Expert Flyer? Maybe the 'auto upgrade' feature has a different trigger point than just 'upgrade availability'? Or there is a bug in the system?

I am waiting for an upgrade on a DXB/AMS leg. And to try to understand how they release these, I have set a number of alerts on EF. Apart from a few days, where the upgrades were available up to 30 days before departure, they are all released 4 days before. And there is a clear correlation with the seat map (which is not that surprising as most F travellers will book their seat at the time they book the trip).
On cue: the alert for F award availability on 31/3 has just come in!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Have you checked (or are you checking) availability via Expert Flyer? Maybe the 'auto upgrade' feature has a different trigger point than just 'upgrade availability'? Or there is a bug in the system?

I am waiting for an upgrade on a DXB/AMS leg. And to try to understand how they release these, I have set a number of alerts on EF. Apart from a few days, where the upgrades were available up to 30 days before departure, they are all released 4 days before. And there is a clear correlation with the seat map (which is not that surprising as most F travellers will book their seat at the time they book the trip).
On cue: the alert for F award availability on 31/3 has just come in!
I had auto upgrade on for 10/4 flight - didn't work - EF didnt advise me at all and I checked this am and there were 2 seats for me to upgrade to F.

EF is really lagging - used to be good - no longer do I trust it as much. Auto -upgrade is a waste of time - has anyone seen it work?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It's sounds like it's as much use as the Upgrade Availability Notifications that didn't work when I tried.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by sant2585
Further observation that doesn't seem to have been mentioned upthread - auto-upgrade is not applicable on ex-UK sectors, where a little explanation appears to say that 'auto upgrade is not available for taxable sectors'. Is the UK the only place for EK where upgrades also have a cash cost for tax?
J to F upgrades from the UK should be OK as there's no extra tax, but for Y to J then the extra tax comes in to play. However, I've paid this at the airport in the past and this could be done with auto-upgrade if the will was there.

This post from a few years ago indicates another couple of countries where this might happen.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...l#post23446354
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: skywards gold
I have had a result on auto upgrade on 435 Bne-Dxb on 6/4- economy flex up to J- applied on 21/3 and notified on 23/3 that successful
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:22 pm
Lux

Originally Posted by ft101
This post from a few years ago indicates another couple of countries where this might happen.
Yes - still the case in Pakistan.

Auto-upgrades do work - don't confuse seat availability in general with upgrade availability (I believe advance ones come from the saver award bucket).

(As a bonus I once had a misconnect on one award, the miles were refunded but I was rebooked into the upgraded class.)
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:52 pm

First time actually using the auto upgrade function and I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer. Currently stuck in Y on the BKK-DXB-CPT (13/07) sector. Not going to spend the miles ( open for upgrade using miles) on the BKK-DXB sector as I'm wanting the DXB-CPT ideally. Does the auto upgrade function only last until online check in or is it more when i actually show up at the airport/ boarding gate.

Got a feeling EK waiting until the last minute so they don't have to fork out a CD reservation for me, wish they would just open seats up for upgrade for J as there is plenty of seats and Y oversold as well it looks ....

Last edited by Flame3601; Jul 8, 2017 at 9:03 pm
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:56 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
First time actually using the auto upgrade function and I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer. Currently stuck in Y on the BKK-DXB-CPT (13/07) sector. Not going to spend the miles ( open for upgrade using miles) on the BKK-DXB sector as I'm wanting the DXB-CPT ideally. Does the auto upgrade function only last until online check in or is it more when i actually show up at the airport/ boarding gate.

Got a feeling EK waiting until the last minute so they don't have to fork out a CD reservation for me, wish they would just open seats up for upgrade for J as there is plenty of seats and Y oversold as well it looks ....
You are not specifying whether you are on 770 or 778, but looking at ExpertFlyer: They are still selling Y seats on both, but 770 is Y4 (all the way up to B4) and 778 is Y9. For both flights, it is J7 C7, but looking at the seat map they are overbooking quite heavily as all seats are taken (with exception of the blocked seats that are always there).
You probably know as well as I do that upgrade awards on the DXB/CPT sector are quite rare. So my guess is that there will be no upgrades. I can't answer your question about the auto upgrade, it's an answer I would be interested in!
As F availability seems to be ok (especially on 778), there might be some lucky Flex+ ticket holders in J who get an op up.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
You are not specifying whether you are on 770 or 778, but looking at ExpertFlyer: They are still selling Y seats on both, but 770 is Y4 (all the way up to B4) and 778 is Y9. For both flights, it is J7 C7, but looking at the seat map they are overbooking quite heavily as all seats are taken (with exception of the blocked seats that are always there).
You probably know as well as I do that upgrade awards on the DXB/CPT sector are quite rare. So my guess is that there will be no upgrades. I can't answer your question about the auto upgrade, it's an answer I would be interested in!
As F availability seems to be ok (especially on 778), there might be some lucky Flex+ ticket holders in J who get an op up.
Based on this post it's EK770

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28532677-post111.html
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:31 am

Thanks for the updated flight load via EF , been doing dummy bookings all day to get a indication of loads( EK will sell me 7 J tickets ) . You are correct it is EK770. I tried to get a answer via live chat with various agents and all of them actually couldn't give me a solid answer in regards to the auto upgrade question above , I did not call as I didn't wanna get hammered with international calling fees. This is the one time I really would like to get out of Y due to a mother in law from hell in tow !

Sadly cannot not justify the 22 thousand rand price tag for a paid upgrade.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:40 am

Thanks for the updated flight load via EF , been doing dummy bookings all day to get a indication of loads( EK will sell me 7 J tickets ) . You are correct it is EK770. I tried to get a answer via live chat with various agents and all of them actually couldn't give me a solid answer in regards to the auto upgrade question above , I did not call as I didn't wanna get hammered with international calling fees. This is the one time I really would like to get out of Y due to a mother in law from hell in tow !

Sadly cannot not justify the 22 thousand rand price tag for a paid upgrade.
Where are you calling from? In SA just dial 0860 123 155, most counties have a local number, and then there's always Skype.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Where are you calling from? In SA just dial 0860 123 155, most counties have a local number, and then there's always Skype.
Thailand , on a Island called Koh Samet. Tried using the telephones in the hotel and they have terribly bad line not to mention the wifi is about 2mb/s. Will try when back on the mainland which is actually the day of departure.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
This is the one time I really would like to get out of Y due to a mother in law from hell in tow !
Leaving the MIL in Y, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.