Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auto upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
I have triedit only twice (on single segment trips, because of the individual leg miles pricing issue others have already referred to), and didn't work. But that had less to do with the function itself than EK's yield management: on both flights upgrades never became available prior to boarding, as they were trying to flog their cash upgrade offers until the last minute. So had to actually upgrade on board each time, which luckily worked. I find it is actually getting harder to get last minute mileage upgrades on some routes, even with enough empty seats, because of these cash offers. Quite annoying (particularly when they are unattractive; but at least that ensures seats are still available for onboard upgrades ).
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Wtravel
I have triedit only twice (on single segment trips, because of the individual leg miles pricing issue others have already referred to), and didn't work. But that had less to do with the function itself than EK's yield management: on both flights upgrades never became available prior to boarding, as they were trying to flog their cash upgrade offers until the last minute. So had to actually upgrade on board each time, which luckily worked. I find it is actually getting harder to get last minute mileage upgrades on some routes, even with enough empty seats, because of these cash offers. Quite annoying (particularly when they are unattractive; but at least that ensures seats are still available for onboard upgrades ).
To update my earlier post: I was able to just book a mileage upgrade for a flight within the next 36 hours (until now again only the (not attractive) cash upgrade special was being offered on the check-in page), with both the EK alert and EF failing to notify me that upgrades had become available.
XXTSGR likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Wtravel
To update my earlier post: I was able to just book a mileage upgrade for a flight within the next 36 hours (until now again only the (not attractive) cash upgrade special was being offered on the check-in page), with both the EK alert and EF failing to notify me that upgrades had become available.
This happened to me with FLL. Around T-38 I called as I saw the cash offer was available, EK and EF showed no miles availability but the agent said there was
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:26 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
This happened to me with FLL. Around T-38 I called as I saw the cash offer was available, EK and EF showed no miles availability but the agent said there was
So the tactic would be to set an alarm (EF) for P bucket availability and then phone in when it becomes available?
The EF alerts don’t quite work ‘real time’, they can’t ‘run continuously ‘ : somewhere I read that they will run your saved alerts more frequently as you get closer to departure but it of course means you could miss out.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh

So the tactic would be to set an alarm (EF) for P bucket availability and then phone in when it becomes available?
The EF alerts don’t quite work ‘real time’, they can’t ‘run continuously ‘ : somewhere I read that they will run your saved alerts more frequently as you get closer to departure but it of course means you could miss out.
I wouldn't think that there's a definitive correlation between P and D but it's a thing to look for. That being said it could also have been because it was within T-48 and completely unrelated to P
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Interesting. The next time I see the cash offer but no mileage upgrade I will give EK a call to see if I can upgrade over the phone, that way I will at least know whether mileage upgrades are released simultaneously with the OLCI cash upgrade offers, but just not listed/bookable online.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
EF notification vs Emirates notifications vs checking the website yourself...

Checked this morning around 8am to find a Y-J upgrade available. EK emailed me an alert to this at 11.26 am, followed by an alert from EF at 13.57. I am not a fan of the auto upgrade so I have never used it. However, I wonder if the auto upgrade would have been quicker than the notification..
m3red likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
never done the comparison to EF but I signed up for text alerts and that came before the email IIRC
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Will08
EF notification vs Emirates notifications vs checking the website yourself...

Checked this morning around 8am to find a Y-J upgrade available. EK emailed me an alert to this at 11.26 am, followed by an alert from EF at 13.57. I am not a fan of the auto upgrade so I have never used it. However, I wonder if the auto upgrade would have been quicker than the notification..
no it wouldn’t
Will08 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
Smile Auto upgrade worked for me

Travelling LGW/BNE in J on 18th December, J looks pretty full and I decided to blow some miles and upgrade DXB/BNE to F about three weeks ago but no upgrade seats available. Just heard this morning that auto upgrade has worked for me so very happy to now be seated in 3A for 14 hours. Also means that I get to spend 3 hours in F lounge so even happier!!
thijsseh likes this.

Last edited by JudeS; Dec 15, 2018 at 7:35 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:20 am

Good for you, enjoy! I find that on more and more flights they only release miles upgrades at time of check-in or more often when check-in closes, even when flights are half empty Suspect this is because they try to flog paid upgrades to the last minute, and are also able to restrict the use of the chauffeur service and lounges this way.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:23 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I’ve got an active auto upgrade on CPT - DXB which is notoriously difficult to get upgrades. Holding thumbs.
JudeS likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Sorry for hijacking your thread, but what is the deal with auto-upgrade?

I’ve attempted to use it twice now, and on both occasions reviewed my existing booking while making new bookings and have found that i’ve been able to upgrade.

If I was able to upgrade, should the auto-upgrade not have triggered?
m3red likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
I would think it probably should have but I don't know how long before T it is triggered. I fly on Tuesday.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Skywards
Question Automatic upgrade question.

I’m hoping to upgrade a flight in March, DXB to DUB from business to first with miles. There are 2 of us travelling on the same ref. If we enable auto upgrade through the app is there a possibility that only one pax would get upgraded or would it be either both or neither?

(edit: apologies for posting in the wrong place. The result of searching for ‘automatic upgrade’ rather than ‘auto upgrade’!)

Last edited by Neiltoo; Jan 1, 2019 at 1:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.