Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAE Smart Gate Q's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I registered for smartgate in AUH. Can I now also use the smartgates at DXB, or are they different?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I registered for smartgate in AUH. Can I now also use the smartgates at DXB, or are they different?
Different systems.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Are there smart gates available in the T3 F/J terminal for departures?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Are there smart gates available in the T3 F/J terminal for departures?
I don't think they are smart but they do accept e-gate and emirates ID just not passports like the arrivals gates.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Smartgates can be used by non-residents. You just need to have a machine readable passport. You need to register the first time you use it.
Two concerns:

1. My UAE e-gate has just expired and I now work in Qatar- resident (work based visa) yadda. With that info, am I eligible for a UAE e-gate (again)?

2. I have a Smartgate card but I understand that it is only useable if I fly into DXB with EK. If I fly into DXB with QR, is it true that the Smartgate will not work?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
Two concerns:

1. My UAE e-gate has just expired and I now work in Qatar- resident (work based visa) yadda. With that info, am I eligible for a UAE e-gate (again)?

2. I have a Smartgate card but I understand that it is only useable if I fly into DXB with EK. If I fly into DXB with QR, is it true that the Smartgate will not work?
I believe smart gate and eGate are two different systems. The EK one linked to your Skywards card only works for some countries, while in AUH I was able to pass immigration without registering just by scanning my RSA passport (not an eligible country for dxb e-gate!). I'm super confused as a result
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:32 am

Two concerns:

There are no smartgate cards - only e-gate cards and Emirates ID cards, both of which work in the smartgate.

You can use an e-gate and Emirates ID card in the AUH smartgates.

You can't use a passport registered to the DXB smartgates in the AUH smartgates.

On departure there are only e-gates.

Some nationalities can't get an e-gate but only a smartgate. Some can't get a smartgate but can an e-gate. Different smartgates accept different passports.

Does that clear things up?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
in AUH I was able to pass immigration without registering just by scanning my RSA passport (not an eligible country for dxb e-gate!). I'm super confused as a result
The system in AUH T1 arrivals is linked so that it references your passport details directly to any visa linked to that passport number and automatically clears you without need for registration.

The system in AUH T3 arrivals is different and requires registration.

As for South Africans, they are absolutely eligible to obtain e-Gate cards in Dubai if they are UAE residents.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
You can use an e-gate and Emirates ID card in the AUH smartgates.
No, you cannot use the e-Gate card in the AUH smartgates. The AUH smartgates do not require any card - they work off your passport (by scanning the MRP zone and not the RFID chip like DXB smartgate).

You can't use a passport registered to the DXB smartgates in the AUH smartgates.
You can if you are also registered to the AUH smartgate. It is not exclusive.

Some nationalities can't get an e-gate but only a smartgate.
Every nationality is eligible for e-Gate if they are resident in the UAE.

The DXB e-Gate also works for arrivals and departures in Sharjah and Ras Al Khaimah, as well as the cruise terminal (not sure if the cruise terminal machines are still active though - I have used the SHJ/RKT machines in the last few months however).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
The system in AUH T1 arrivals is linked so that it references your passport details directly to any visa linked to that passport number and automatically clears you without need for registration.

The system in AUH T3 arrivals is different and requires registration.

As for South Africans, they are absolutely eligible to obtain e-Gate cards in Dubai if they are UAE residents.
This was departing, and am not a resident. I know residents can.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:49 pm

My UAE e-gate has just expired and I now work in Qatar- resident (work based visa) yadda. With that info, am I eligible for a UAE e-gate (again)?
Your residence status in Qatar is not linked to your eligibility for eGate. If you hold a passport from any of the countries eligible for eGate, you can apply and receive an eGate card regardless of your Qatari residence.

I have a Smartgate card but I understand that it is only useable if I fly into DXB with EK. If I fly into DXB with QR, is it true that the Smartgate will not work?
None of the eGate/smartgate systems require travel on a specific airline for eligibility.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
This was departing, and am not a resident. I know residents can.
On departure, both the AUH T1/T3 machines are linked to process residents/non-residents by linking to the entry visas associated with their passports (technically using their UID numbers as the unique key to match facial biometrics but that is opaque to the user). It's a good system when it works.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:24 am

On departure, both the AUH T1/T3 machines are linked to process residents/non-residents by linking to the entry visas associated with their passports (technically using their UID numbers as the unique key to match facial biometrics but that is opaque to the user). It's a good system when it works.
Yep, unfortunately just not transparent that everyone can use it. An immigration official told me to use the eGate or whatever it's called and I pointed out I wasn't eligible and he insisted, I was quite surprised and confused.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
No, you cannot use the e-Gate card in the AUH smartgates. The AUH smartgates do not require any card - they work off your passport (by scanning the MRP zone and not the RFID chip like DXB smartgate).

The DXB e-Gate also works for arrivals and departures in Sharjah and Ras Al Khaimah, as well as the cruise terminal (not sure if the cruise terminal machines are still active though - I have used the SHJ/RKT machines in the last few months however).
...and to add to the confusion: apparently the smart gate (for the avoidance of doubt: the system where you register your passport without getting an e-gate card) data bases of AUH and DXB are to be linked by July, in which case you can use the smart gates at both places with a passport registered only at one. But then given local planning and timelines, who knows if this will actually happen/by then
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:08 am

Can't you use an Emirates ID card with e-gate service active in the AUH gates at T3?

I should have been more clear with DXB smartgates - if you register your passport in the DXB smartgates for passport you aren't automatically registered at AUH: although the DXB ones scan the MRP as well at T3 arrivals in their smart gate, it doesn't pick up the RFID - until July!

Are residents still being given e-gate cards or are they simply having their Emirates ID card activated with e-gate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.