Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAE Smart Gate Q's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Are residents still being given e-gate cards or are they simply having their Emirates ID card activated with e-gate?
You don't need to "activate" the Emirates ID to use the e-Gate in Dubai. It is now automatic (but the e-Gate machines in SHJ/RKT still are not compatible with the EID). But you can also pay the AED 200 or similar to get a separate e-Gate card if you want.

The benefit of getting the physical e-Gate card is that many airlines and countries will not allow you to board on the way back to the UAE if you have a residence visa and no exit stamp from within the last 6 months. They demand to see the physical e-Gate card. I've even had the issue with flyDubai in Entebbe where I had exited the UAE from Ras Al Khaimah as a crewmember without a passport stamp and I was only cleared to board at the absolute last minute after the station manager called the security department and they took copies of my e-Gate card. Without that, I would have been denied boarding. Similarly, I always get queried by Indian immigration for my exit stamp and they ask to see either my departing boarding pass from UAE or the e-Gate card. Rwandair security in Kigali also does this.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:15 am

Can't you use an Emirates ID card with e-gate service active in the AUH gates at T3?
I'm pretty sure it requires you to scan the passport, but when I think about it the same optical reader should also be able to scan the machine readable zone of the EID in that case. The EID is linked to your UID which is the database key they use, so the same data should be accessible.

The DXB eGates that accept EID read the data from the Chip rather than the MRZ and I'm not sure what database that queries. It also seems anecdotally to be a lot slower and less accurate than the AUH gates in my experience - maybe 50% or more EID users have trouble with the DXB eGates while those using passport at AUH I find have almost no issues.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Wtravel
apparently the smart gate (for the avoidance of doubt: the system where you register your passport without getting an e-gate card) data bases of AUH and DXB are to be linked by July, in which case you can use the smart gates at both places with a passport registered only at one
More importantly, what biometric data will they use to authenticate identity. Right now Dubai is using fingerprints while Abu Dhabi is using facial recognition and iris scan. They will need to standardise on that before they can link the systems as the registration for each system is capturing different biometrics!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
More importantly, what biometric data will they use to authenticate identity. Right now Dubai is using fingerprints while Abu Dhabi is using facial recognition and iris scan. They will need to standardise on that before they can link the systems as the registration for each system is capturing different biometrics!
I think the Dubai database has space for everything though - when I go through using an e-gate card at the smartgates at DXB T3, I am prompted for fingerprints, but if I scan my passport, I'm prompted for facial recognition and iris.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:14 am

Just as an update, the new Smartgate machines are being installed today at Ras Al Khaimah. These are the same machines as Abu Dhabi T3 and will work if you are registered there already (or you can register locally in RAK). Machines are live already in arrivals and installation/testing is ongoing at departures right now.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
The DXB Airport website seems to suggest Smart Gates are available at all 3 terminals on arrival and departure. http://www.dubaiairports.ae/smartgates
This is thanks to a major upgrade on our 127 Smart Gates, located in Arrivals and Departures across all three terminals at DXB.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
The DXB Airport website seems to suggest Smart Gates are available at all 3 terminals on arrival and departure. http://www.dubaiairports.ae/smartgates
There are "Smart Gates" in all terminals, but the ones other than T3 Arrivals are just the old eGates with upgraded software that reads Emirates IDs as well. These are different from the T3 Arrivals Smart Gates, and further different from the AUH eGates (which in turn are also different between T1 and T3, which are also being rolled out in Ras Al Khaimah).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
The AUH Smartgates seem a bit hit & miss currently.

I got the message "passport details not recognised" for my 8yo last time on our way out, but it worked perfectly on the way back in.

On return from a trip to BAH last week I initially got a "passport details not recognised", and after trying again the system worked perfectly.

The old e-gate card worked a lot better for me.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:42 am

Just as an update, the new Smartgate machines are being installed today at Ras Al Khaimah. These are the same machines as Abu Dhabi T3 and will work if you are registered there already (or you can register locally in RAK). Machines are live already in arrivals and installation/testing is ongoing at departures right now.
As a non-resident (British passport), can I register for the machines upon arrival?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:58 am

You don't need to "activate" the Emirates ID to use the e-Gate in Dubai. It is now automatic (but the e-Gate machines in SHJ/RKT still are not compatible with the EID). But you can also pay the AED 200 or similar to get a separate e-Gate card if you want.

The benefit of getting the physical e-Gate card is that many airlines and countries will not allow you to board on the way back to the UAE if you have a residence visa and no exit stamp from within the last 6 months. They demand to see the physical e-Gate card. I've even had the issue with flyDubai in Entebbe where I had exited the UAE from Ras Al Khaimah as a crewmember without a passport stamp and I was only cleared to board at the absolute last minute after the station manager called the security department and they took copies of my e-Gate card. Without that, I would have been denied boarding. Similarly, I always get queried by Indian immigration for my exit stamp and they ask to see either my departing boarding pass from UAE or the e-Gate card. Rwandair security in Kigali also does this.
Given that Abu Dhabi has compulsory use of the Smart Gates with your passport, I'm surprised that lack of stamps is considered to be an issue. Travelling frequently but mostly within Europe/Asia, no-one has ever questioned the lack of stamps, but then again I've never flown to Entebbe or Kigali.

In any case, as UAE gradually moves to automated screening for almost everyone (certainly residents, and Abu Dhabi now register all visitors too), this must inevitably change over time?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: Skywards
Skywards activation

After much trawling here and on the Emirates site, I have a couple of background questions for those who have activated their Skywards cards for Smartgates at DBX:

* The Emirates website insists that activation requires a passport photo - is that correct from your experience?

* Do you know of a T3 airside place I can activate my card, or must I go through and do it landside? (I have some transit flights with time to spare through DBX a week or two before the first occasion I need to enter UAE - so I wanted to do it while in transit if at all possible)

* Will the Skywards card only work at Smartgates, or also at eGates such as those available on departure. That is, does it behave as a true substitute eGate card or is it limited only to SmartGates?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:21 pm

If you activate your Skywards card, it will become an e-gate card, which works in both Smartgates at arrival and e-gates on departure.

You won't need a passport photo, but now T3 DNRD won't activate it - you have to go either to the T1 office or DNRD head office.

You can't do it airside.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Perhaps a little know fact, if you use your e-gate card to enter the UAE you cannot use it to exit the UAE for 6 hours! So people need to be careful if they want to quickly pop outside to do somethign thinking they can easily return back airside.

I found this out landing at just past midnight, going to a local hotel (As airport stupidly expensive) and returning at 5.45 for an 8am flight. Even though I am a resident, because I had no entry stamp they would not let me leave using my passport and I had to wait until just past 6am when the 6 hour time limit had expired. Do not know if this applies to EID as well but seems perhaps likely it would.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Perhaps a little know fact, if you use your e-gate card to enter the UAE you cannot use it to exit the UAE for 6 hours! So people need to be careful if they want to quickly pop outside to do somethign thinking they can easily return back airside.

I found this out landing at just past midnight, going to a local hotel (As airport stupidly expensive) and returning at 5.45 for an 8am flight. Even though I am a resident, because I had no entry stamp they would not let me leave using my passport and I had to wait until just past 6am when the 6 hour time limit had expired. Do not know if this applies to EID as well but seems perhaps likely it would.
I do this often - it's about the updating of the system immigration systems (apparently it's not real-time ).

Passport officers should just stamp you for exit - I have a ton of exit stamps and no entry stamps in my passport for the UAE.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
I do this often - it's about the updating of the system immigration systems (apparently it's not real-time ).

Passport officers should just stamp you for exit - I have a ton of exit stamps and no entry stamps in my passport for the UAE.
Yep, happened last time I arrived in DXB. I went out to pick up something I left at my previous hotel and was back within an hour - left via smartgate and back in without even a stamp in less than an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.