FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   UAE Smart Gate Q's (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1683179-uae-smart-gate-qs.html)

baggyred May 27, 2015 7:08 pm

UAE Smart Gate Q's

Hi All,

Have been trying to research the smart gate and finding it a little confusing.

I note that as an Australian national I should be ok to use it and I believe that it is now rolled out in T1 and T3 (Happy to be corrected)

My questions that I can't seem to get a straight answer on

* Do you still need to register and be scanned?
* If so, is there a cost to register?
* If required, would i queue as per normal to leave DXB (Terminal 1) and get my scan done at passport control? Or is there another section of the airport to get your scan done?
* Can smart gate be used both leaving and entering the UAE

Thanks

Xlr May 27, 2015 7:16 pm

You queue normally and get registered after passing the gate I think. And yes it can be used for exit as well.

eternaltransit May 27, 2015 7:34 pm

Smart gate and e-gate are two separate things.

Smart gate is the easy entry system, where you scan a machine readable passport and use facial recognition and eye scan to enter. After you pass through the first time (go through the non reigstered queue), you'll be registered manually by an immigration officer, then the next time you enter Dubai, you can use the registered queue. There is no cost to this. This is definitely at T3 arrivals - it should be at T1 arrivals when it's all complete, but not sure if it's done yet. I'm sure someone who has been through there recently will let us know!

The smart gates, however, also accept UAE e-gate cards and UAE e-gate enabled identity cards. They usually use a separate validation system, fingerprints and you need to be pre-registered at a DNRD office, which you can find around Dubai or at the airport. If you have a physical Skywards card, you can use that as an e-gate card free of charge, or you can pay I think 325 AED for one. Suffice to say, it is probably best to use your machine readable passport.

I have to admit I have not left DXB except through an e-gate or desk, so I am not sure if T1 or T3 has smart gates on exit - I have only seen e-gates, which require the RFID e-gate card and fingerprint registration to work (there's also a 6-8 hour cool-off period too, so sometimes you have to see an officer anyway). I suspect smart gates are only for entering Dubai, not leaving.

baggyred May 27, 2015 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 24879241)
Smart gate and e-gate are two separate things.

Smart gate is the easy entry system, where you scan a machine readable passport and use facial recognition and eye scan to enter. After you pass through the first time (go through the non reigstered queue), you'll be registered manually by an immigration officer, then the next time you enter Dubai, you can use the registered queue. There is no cost to this. This is definitely at T3 arrivals - it should be at T1 arrivals when it's all complete, but not sure if it's done yet. I'm sure someone who has been through there recently will let us know!

The smart gates, however, also accept UAE e-gate cards and UAE e-gate enabled identity cards. They usually use a separate validation system, fingerprints and you need to be pre-registered at a DNRD office, which you can find around Dubai or at the airport. If you have a physical Skywards card, you can use that as an e-gate card free of charge, or you can pay I think 325 AED for one. Suffice to say, it is probably best to use your machine readable passport.

I have to admit I have not left DXB except through an e-gate or desk, so I am not sure if T1 or T3 has smart gates on exit - I have only seen e-gates, which require the RFID e-gate card and fingerprint registration to work (there's also a 6-8 hour cool-off period too, so sometimes you have to see an officer anyway). I suspect smart gates are only for entering Dubai, not leaving.

Ok - so I arrive in the morning - go to the smart gates (i don't need e-gate, my passport will be fine). As i pass through they will direct me to register?

So I don't need to stand in the queue for manual immigration processing?

Once registered I can then use smart gate for exitting UAE?

Petsar68 May 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Smart gate isn't currently available in terminal 1 for pax departing Dubai....(correct as of last week).

baggyred May 28, 2015 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Petsar68 (Post 24879893)
Smart gate isn't currently available in terminal 1 for pax departing Dubai....(correct as of last week).

How about on arrival?

I am arriving Terminal 1 and Departing Terminal 3

eternaltransit May 28, 2015 3:42 am

Originally Posted by baggyred (Post 24880132)
How about on arrival?

I am arriving Terminal 1 and Departing Terminal 3

Unfortunately I don't think smart gates are currently installed at Terminal 1 arrivals according to Dubai Airports.

If they are installed, yes, there is a separate queue for non-registered smart gate users, so after you go through the gate you will be validated at a desk and then you can use it on your next visit to DXB.

On departure, you'll need to go to a desk.

I think Marhaba offer a paid for fast track service at T1 if you really want to skip queues though :D

B747-437B May 30, 2015 6:18 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 24880663)
Unfortunately I don't think smart gates are currently installed at Terminal 1 arrivals according to Dubai Airports.

They are not.

I think Marhaba offer a paid for fast track service at T1 if you really want to skip queues though :D
They do. AED 100. Well worth it.

m3red May 31, 2015 6:29 am

I don't think there are smart gates at T3 (Biz class terminal) - I use the e-gate there - was tempted to register for smart gate but no point if I have to get a stamp to exit.

eternaltransit May 31, 2015 10:10 am

Originally Posted by m3red (Post 24895507)
I don't think there are smart gates at T3 (Biz class terminal) - I use the e-gate there - was tempted to register for smart gate but no point if I have to get a stamp to exit.

Definitely no smart gates for departing Dubai in the F/J area at T3 - as you say, only e-gates and 5 desks, only 1-2 of which are ever manned!

And I know exactly what you mean about stamps - I have lots and lots of exit stamps but very few entry stamps and I even use e-gate! I wish they would update their immigration records in real-time instead of a batch every few hours a day...

KLflyerRalph Dec 16, 2015 6:33 am

Any updates if the smart gates are available (for arrival and departure) in terminal 1? Will be there in the last week of December so I guess it will be very busy?

Antdenatale Dec 19, 2015 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 25872477)
Any updates if the smart gates are available (for arrival and departure) in terminal 1? Will be there in the last week of December so I guess it will be very busy?

I didn't see any passport gates there last week, but, was able to use my Emirates Skywards card in the gates at T1 for the first time last week.

They are still refurbishing the arrivals and departure areas in T1 so there may be more egates there in future, however, my recommendation to you would be to get the Marhaba service if arriving at peak time as you will be standing in the immigration queue for an age otherwise.

NeoOfTheCRS Feb 10, 2016 9:35 am

I am a frequent UAE visitor and am not a resident. I am able to use egates with my Emirates Skywards Card in Dubai. However, I have really never been able to do this at AUH.

Does anyone know if there is any benefit for egates in AUH?

I do not believe that i am eligible for smart gates as i am not a resident.

DYKWIA Feb 10, 2016 10:00 am

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS (Post 26162699)

Smartgates can be used by non-residents. You just need to have a machine readable passport. You need to register the first time you use it.

ioto1902 Feb 10, 2016 10:12 am

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS (Post 26162699)
I am a frequent UAE visitor and am not a resident. I am able to use egates with my Emirates Skywards Card in Dubai. However, I have really never been able to do this at AUH.

Does anyone know if there is any benefit for egates in AUH?

Benefit ?
Next time, you spot a guy going to smart gates, and you compare how long it takes to pass passport control for each one of you.