Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is Emirates A Financial Scam?
Yes
15.52%
No
60.92%
Dont care
20.11%
Undecided
3.45%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Is Emirates a financial scam?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I just don't get why you don't think that the connecting traffic between the Indian Subcontinent and the US is not a market. Are you unaware of the more than 3 million people of Indian origin in the US. Are you unaware that many of them are still Indian citizens? Are you unaware that these are people making reasonable salaries and want/need to travel back to India? That they have family in India who wish to visit them here. Are you unaware that many US-based companies have established back office functions in India (accounting, order processing, IT, call-centers, etc.) That US companies send managers and subject-matter-experts to visit these establishments?

I think it perfectly reasonable that a company like EK would recognize this growing market and try to capture it. It has absolutely nothing to do with backpackers, it has to do with commerce. That said, EK's approach to capturing this market is an expensive one and one which I would presume is initially loss-making. Heck, we only have to look at every internet-based company in the world to know that businesses lose money at start-up. Some succeed based on their initial model. Others adjust and succeed. Many fail. None of them are scams. Personally, I think that the sustainability of the volume and distribution of flights is in unlikely and that EK will retrench as it becomes obvious which flights are growing in yield and which ones are not. Is this the best way to operate a start-up or an expansion? Perhaps not. However, it is not prima facie evidence of a scam. It is only evidence of a risky strategy.
You are speaking to deaf ears.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:08 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Since related party transactions have come up again, note that on page 104 of EK's most recent financials, there is a note stating that related party transactions (except dnata) were conducted on arm's length terms:

Emirates and dnata share central corporate functions such as information technology, facilities, human resources, finance, treasury, cash management, legal and other functions. Where such functions are shared, the costs are allocated between Emirates and dnata based on activity levels. Such costs amounting to AED 740 m (2014: AED 592 m) are included below within the purchase of goods and services.

Other than these shared service arrangements, the following transactions have taken place on an arm's length basis.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:16 pm

I just don't get why you don't think that the connecting traffic between the Indian Subcontinent and the US is not a market.
There exists a market, but does it belong to ME carriers. USA has Open Skies with India for almost nine years yet neither American nor Indian carriers able to make money on these routes. Both sides have couple of routes each.

US carriers historically love hands-off approach.
1) Delegated domestic regional routes to Regional Carriers without caring for quality of product or service.

If ME3 continued to code share with US3 and live with bad regional service, US3 wouldn't have started this petition. Keep in mind prior to JetBlue and Virgin American, ME3 used to connect traffic with AA/DL/UA regional partners. Probably ME3 were fed up with Envoy.

2)Delegated Indian traffic to their EU JV partners. This worked very well for decades, limited service but solid money. EU carriers got greedy and started consolidating Indian routes rather than expanding. While in bed with EU carriers, they completely avoided partnerships with Indian carriers. Big mistake.

US3 lost their shirt on India by just depending on EU JV partners.
JetBlue and Virgin eating away their feeder market share.
Now they see 5th freedom as a major risk to TATL market.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by avcritic
There exists a market, but does it belong to ME carriers. USA has Open Skies with India for almost nine years yet neither American nor Indian carriers able to make money on these routes. Both sides have couple of routes each.
In a free market situation, a market doesn't 'belong' to anyone. Certain competitors may have an inherent competitive advantage for this market, however. It seems reasonable to me that the competitive advantage would go to airlines which have a hub in between North America and India as this would allow the most efficient set-up of one-stop flights. Sure, you might be able to set up a non-stop operation where the traffic between origination and destination justify it in a very few cases, but since it is the aggregate of many different routes on either side which really make it a viable market, the hub in the middle structure makes sense. This suggests hubs in Europe or the Middle East. Because of either anti-competitive rules or economic factors which would restrict an American or an Indian from setting up a hub in these two parts of the world, It seems likely that the major carriers competing in this market are going to be European or Middle Eastern.

I have flown from the US to the subcontinent more than 20 times in the past few years, normally on European carriers. The flights to India are packed, with many op-ups due to overbooking. Is it at all surprising that the ME3 see an opportunity here? Not to any sane person. This doesn't mean that their specific approach is the right one, but to deny the existence of this market is simply sticking your head in the sand.

i do agree with you that the primary motivation of the US3 is the threat to a portion of the TATL market, which is ultimately India or Africa bound. However, a threat to your market share is not the same as a financial scam.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by knit-in
You are speaking to deaf ears.
And blind eyes, considering how many times the OP has "mistakenly" provided links to articles that state the opposite of what the OP claims.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:22 pm

Dutch restrictions unlikely to hurt Emirates, Etihad

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...ihad-1.1519570
Old May 21, 2015, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by knit-in
Um, the US national team is second only to Germany in the most recent Women's rankings, and one of the favorites to win the World Cup in Canada next month. Or does women playing soccer not count? Drew 1-1 with Germany in the Men's World Cup last summer. Made the second round (from the "group of death"!), which was better than some European stalwarts like England, Spain and Portugal, so again your soccer analogy don't quite work for your case. All it shows is that you have certain pre-conceived notions (like Americans don't know soccer/ Emirates doesn't make money from ops) and you will go to lengths to defend your set ideas and biases.

And indeed, the summer dates in Qatar would have been madness. Good thing better sense has prevailed. But that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
It certainly does count, but there is data that suggests there is far less interest in women's football.
As an example, take my many expatriate friends in SIN.
Many of them were willing to wake up at 0300-0400 local time in order to watch the matches (and a few even paid for the SGD 112.35 subscription to do so, and another few used VPN services to watch the matches streamed on BBC/ITV/RTS/Univision, the former 3 with commentaries I can understand to some degree of proficiency.)
Very few plan to watch the women's matches at such a time.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just don't get why you don't think that the connecting traffic between the Indian Subcontinent and the US is not a market. Are you unaware of the more than 3 million people of Indian origin in the US. Are you unaware that many of them are still Indian citizens? Are you unaware that these are people making reasonable salaries and want/need to travel back to India? That they have family in India who wish to visit them here. Are you unaware that many US-based companies have established back office functions in India (accounting, order processing, IT, call-centers, etc.) That US companies send managers and subject-matter-experts to visit these establishments?

I think it perfectly reasonable that a company like EK would recognize this growing market and try to capture it.
As it typical here, you pile lots of words in to something that sounds good, but is largely logic free.

Yes, people travel between the USA and Indian Subcontinent (ISC). But it isn't a particularly lucrative market -- as indisputably shown by the almost complete lack of nonstop flights between the two countries.

As far as connecting service goes to the ISC, the Mideast is fine, but I think almost everyone in commercial aviation would say that Europe has an advantage (absent subsidies). Because there is demand for European travel from any medium sized American city, it is easy to put a few ISC-bound pax on each of these flights, and aggregate them in Europe, where large populations add substantially more demand. This is in contrast to little demand for US-Dubai/Qatar travel, and then a small population base to add additional pax to the mix. Add in the fact that the US and European airlines are linked in their marketing alliances and that many passengers will feel more comfortable transiting through Europe v. the Middle East, and you most certainly haven't built a better mousetrap.

Despite this reality, the ME3 seem to think the "sky is the limit" with regard to US-Dubai/Qatar service. We're now up to an astonishing 25 flights (less than a decade ago, there was one!), and all the CEOs say they want more. Are you guys going to seriously claim there's that much demand for more ISC travel? Again, if it's such a great market, why are there no nonstop flights? It just doesn't add up. At least in the real world.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by avcritic
But Emirates doesn't operate non-stop from the US to India - which gives them the advantage. They scoop up lots of passengers in the US, and they scoop up lots of passengers in India - but, in both cases, they are not restricted to carrying only just the O/D [US/India and v.v.] passengers, as is the case for a US or Indian carrier. Emirates can offer something like 142 destinations to its passengers - a d all over the world - in contrast with a much much smaller range of destinations offered by the direct, non-stop providers.

So the US-to-India flow exists on Emirates beside the US-to-Asia, US-to-Africa, US-to-Middle East and India-to-Europe, India-to-Middle East, India-to-Africa, India-to-South America flows.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a free market situation, a market doesn't 'belong' to anyone. Certain competitors may have an inherent competitive advantage for this market, however. It seems reasonable to me that the competitive advantage would go to airlines which have a hub in between North America and India as this would allow the most efficient set-up of one-stop flights. Sure, you might be able to set up a non-stop operation where the traffic between origination and destination justify it in a very few cases, but since it is the aggregate of many different routes on either side which really make it a viable market, the hub in the middle structure makes sense. This suggests hubs in Europe or the Middle East. Because of either anti-competitive rules or economic factors which would restrict an American or an Indian from setting up a hub in these two parts of the world, It seems likely that the major carriers competing in this market are going to be European or Middle Eastern.

I have flown from the US to the subcontinent more than 20 times in the past few years, normally on European carriers. The flights to India are packed, with many op-ups due to overbooking. Is it at all surprising that the ME3 see an opportunity here? Not to any sane person. This doesn't mean that their specific approach is the right one, but to deny the existence of this market is simply sticking your head in the sand.

i do agree with you that the primary motivation of the US3 is the threat to a portion of the TATL market, which is ultimately India or Africa bound. However, a threat to your market share is not the same as a financial scam.
iahphx - Make sure you read that post above.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We now have a battle of the experts! Etihad has found their own economists to show how much their flights have stimulated demand, allegedly contrary to what the US airlines economists found.

http://www.eturbopr.com/PDF/OpenSkyReport1.pdf

Of course, both sides are "right" in their reports -- because they're measuring different things. Etihad is measuring total traffic to India and, of course, that's up -- just like total traffic is up over that time period to every developing nation in the world. The US airlines are doing a regression analysis comparing the growth in Indian markets to other developing markets, and say there's no difference.

Personally, I say "whatever," because I don't think "stimulation" is a particularly important metric. My gut feeling is that the ME3's subsidized flights SHOULD stimulate demand -- when you price below cost, more people should buy -- but that obviously wouldn't justify the service.

There's also some stuff about pricing in the report, which might be interesting, but in my quick read of it tonight I couldn't discern anything meaningful from the numbers presented. Almost all long haul flying requires premium pax travel to exist, and I would be shocked if the front cabin margins on USA-Mideast flights could compete with those of USA-Europe. So the ME3 already start will an insurmountable deficit. And then, of course, Europe-India premium traffic is going to be stronger than Mideast-India traffic. So the ME3's flying palaces don't make a heck of a lot of sense, which is the real problem when you start crunching the numbers.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yes, people travel between the USA and Indian Subcontinent (ISC). But it isn't a particularly lucrative market -- as indisputably shown by the almost complete lack of nonstop flights between the two countries.
It has been explained to you today why it therefore makes sense to serve US-to-India as a one-stop service. Your point is redundant.

As far as connecting service goes to the ISC, the Mideast is fine, but I think almost everyone in commercial aviation would say that Europe has an advantage (absent subsidies). Because there is demand for European travel from any medium sized American city, it is easy to put a few ISC-bound pax on each of these flights, and aggregate them in Europe, where large populations add substantially more demand. This is in contrast to little demand for US-Dubai/Qatar travel, and then a small population base to add additional pax to the mix. Add in the fact that the US and European airlines are linked in their marketing alliances and that many passengers will feel more comfortable transiting through Europe v. the Middle East, and you most certainly haven't built a better mousetrap.
And most European carriers do just that, many in co-operation with their US partners.

So clearly it's a model that works - and therefore one that the ME3 are wise to copy. Especially when they serve more Indian cities than any European airline, and particularly when they can also route Indian pax throughout Europe, Middle East, etc.

Despite this reality, the ME3 seem to think the "sky is the limit" with regard to US-Dubai/Qatar service. We're now up to an astonishing 25 flights (less than a decade ago, there was one!), and all the CEOs say they want more. Are you guys going to seriously claim there's that much demand for more ISC travel? Again, if it's such a great market, why are there no nonstop flights? It just doesn't add up. At least in the real world.
This is getting stupid now. It would be remarkable if there were 25 flights to the US to UAE/Qatar and these were the only flights operated by the airlines in question; it would be strange if all flights terminated in UAE/Qatar with no possibility of any further onward connections being made there.

If the airline business was a novel, it's as if you're still struggling with understanding the first paragraph of the Foreword....

You really just don't seem to "get" things. You are still coming out with the same lines from your very first post.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As it typical here, you pile lots of words in to something that sounds good, but is largely logic free.
Speaking to self with a mirror on the wall? That's one way to characterize those words or your own, but it also is characteristic of the kind of propaganda coming from the US3.

The ME3 provide more Indian cities with international arriving/departing flights than Air India and Jet Airways combined. Can't blame the ME3 for that. The line in India is that EK has been the national/international carrier of India.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And you're saying that with a straight face, rather than tongue-in-cheek?
Old May 22, 2015, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by abaca12

Jaap G. de Wit,
Do you think he is responsible for the recent developments regarding the traffic rights of EK in the Netherlands...

I mean it is his job after all, isn't it?

And one of your other sources, Vespermann, delivered a pretty poor presentation about EK's growth some years at a conference, well, you guessed right, at Schiphol. It is actually quite funny, because he worked for a private Business School in Germany struggling to break even for years, so quite frankly using him as a source is blooby brilliant. Thank you for that

No analysis, just basic reproduction.

Most of your staff you posted look like basic reproduction, I cannot really read comments about subsidies not being received and that EK is clean. De Wit points out what we already know...and what I point out since months...

BTW, I really think we have passed the point about subsidies, even the apologists are trying to defend the subsidies now by demanding the same standards for everyone, so it seems to be quite obvious that they understood where all the money was coming from.

Anyway, Thanks a lot for trying. Jaap is true expert, has seen it all, understands the markets, works a lot across the border to the East, so he is by far the best source anyone came up with over the last 2100 posts.

Vespermann is not really someone worth mentioning, maybe you even find his presentation hold at Schiphol from some years ago...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.