Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by maxvor
Looks like Emirates eliminates chauffeur on their own awards starting from March, 2019.
Emirates to eliminate chauffeur service on award tickets ? Premium Miles
Disclaimer: I own the blog, but you don't need to click through to get the point.
Good spot!

I was thinking the other day that one of the areas EK must be looking at to cut costs would be CD. It wouldn't surprise me if they eliminated CD on some of the cheaper Business class fares at some point.

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:47 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Fourth paragraph down in the T&C’s

S
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Good spot!

I was thinking the other day that one of the areas EK must be looking at to cut costs would be CD. It wouldn't surprise me if they eliminated CD on some of the cheaper Business class fares at some point.
this is not a surprise - I agree re this and think J savers will be next to go. The competition isn’t doing it so why do EK need to?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:18 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens to people that have the CD booked already after 1st March...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It will be interesting to see what happens to people that have the CD booked already after 1st March...
It does use the word "new" so existing ones should be fine IMO.

It affects me as I'm in and out of SYD on 4th and 8th March and planning to points upgrade to Business in both directions. If upgrades don't become available until a few days before I'll be out of luck.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:38 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Oh gawd, just as I was starting to get comfortable with EK, the way they do things, & build some redeemable points, are they starting on EY's slippery slope? Hopefully they are not going to take any further tips from EY's "management" though....
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
Oh gawd, just as I was starting to get comfortable with EK, the way they do things, & build some redeemable points, are they starting on EY's slippery slope? Hopefully they are not going to take any further tips from EY's "management" though....
I hope not, and I don't think so.

It's a sad devaluation, and I was quite disappointed (still am) when I heard the news. That being said, if one takes a step back and looks at it rationally, no other airline in the world offers a global complimentary chauffeur drive service at all, even for revenue pax, since EY cut it, and unlike lounge access or a fast track card for security it is a significant additional cost to the airline for pax which provide no or very little incremental revenue, in some cases where there is poor revenue management possibly even negative marginal revenue, as the seat could have been sold to a revenue pax. I really hope they don't cut it for J Savers and I'd have hoped that they maybe at least keep it around in DXB for award travel, but ultimately I understand the decision. An option might be to allow pax to pay an extra 3000 or 5000 miles per segment to add chauffeur drive to an award or upgraded itinerary
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Fourth paragraph down in the T&C’s

S
I wonder whether it applies to CD bookings made on/after 1 March 2019 (regardless of flight date), or for any CD booking for flight dates on/after 1 March 2019?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by stargold
I wonder whether it applies to CD bookings made on/after 1 March 2019 (regardless of flight date), or for any CD booking for flight dates on/after 1 March 2019?
The quoted line in that post clearly says "new" bookings won't be available
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:52 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I hope not, and I don't think so.

It's a sad devaluation, and I was quite disappointed (still am) when I heard the news. That being said, if one takes a step back and looks at it rationally, no other airline in the world offers a global complimentary chauffeur drive service at all, even for revenue pax, since EY cut it, and unlike lounge access or a fast track card for security it is a significant additional cost to the airline for pax which provide no or very little incremental revenue, in some cases where there is poor revenue management possibly even negative marginal revenue, as the seat could have been sold to a revenue pax. I really hope they don't cut it for J Savers and I'd have hoped that they maybe at least keep it around in DXB for award travel, but ultimately I understand the decision. An option might be to allow pax to pay an extra 3000 or 5000 miles per segment to add chauffeur drive to an award or upgraded itinerary
Yes, indeed, I tend to agree with most of the above. However, a cynic might say (what, moi?!) that its the first step to aligning services/operations with those of EY before the merger/or whatever/however that happens & whatever they decide to call it.....
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by NoY
Yes, indeed, I tend to agree with most of the above. However, a cynic might say (what, moi?!) that its the first step to aligning services/operations with those of EY before the merger/or whatever/however that happens & whatever they decide to call it.....
There'll never be a merger, I'd really not even look at that. It's a commercial decision because they're providing way more than the competition, and figure they'll get away with it, especially since it affects pax who didn't pay for J to begin with
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just saw this on one of the blogs and happy I did because I have a Business Class award reservation in June from ATH-EWR that I had not booked the chauffeur service for. Just booked and reservation is confirmed. I would think if we booked previous to the 3/1 date and have a confirmation number that we are good to go.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:53 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
There'll never be a merger, I'd really not even look at that. It's a commercial decision because they're providing way more than the competition, and figure they'll get away with it, especially since it affects pax who didn't pay for J to begin with
Perhaps they'll never call it that but I know that discussions on back-office alignment/streamlining/shared operations are "quite likely" to be happening.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:23 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NoY
Perhaps they'll never call it that but I know that discussions on back-office alignment/streamlining/shared operations are "quite likely" to be happening.
Dnata is already taking over the EY call center function and they have aligned the "Security" division.

Anyway back on topic
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:21 am

I see Head for Points has picked up on this, and credited an Indian blog that posted it yesterday... The blog probably picked it up from on here, and we got it from :-

Emirates to eliminate chauffeur service on award tickets ? Premium Miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.