Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Nevsky
Can one take a companion if you go to different stops? Can they be dropped off after you?
No
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
YYZ-DXB-MXP and return in F. Used CD for four legs (before YYZ-DXB, MXP-DXB, and to/from DXB on a layover) :

- car to YYZ was a towncar, nothing fancy. Driver was quite chatty. Service called me the day before, twice actually, to confirm. Showed up on time.
- car to MXP was a Maybach! That was quite the upgrade. No call in advance and when I asked EK online chat for the phone number so I could call and confirm, was told this was not possible.
- cars to/from DXB were Mercedes. Driver to Abu Dhabi after landing in DXB was very aggressive about mentioning how he wanted a tip and how this was his side job (he worked primarily for one of the car rental companies). Driver from Abu Dhabi did not say a word the entire time. EK website had some limit about only picking up a certain amount of time in advance for DXB flights but had no issues getting picked up in Abu Dhabi at 10:30 PM for a 3:30 AM flight.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by steveholt
YYZ-DXB-MXP and return in F. Used CD for four legs (before YYZ-DXB, MXP-DXB, and to/from DXB on a layover) :

- car to YYZ was a towncar, nothing fancy. Driver was quite chatty. Service called me the day before, twice actually, to confirm. Showed up on time.
- car to MXP was a Maybach! That was quite the upgrade. No call in advance and when I asked EK online chat for the phone number so I could call and confirm, was told this was not possible.
- cars to/from DXB were Mercedes. Driver to Abu Dhabi after landing in DXB was very aggressive about mentioning how he wanted a tip and how this was his side job (he worked primarily for one of the car rental companies). Driver from Abu Dhabi did not say a word the entire time. EK website had some limit about only picking up a certain amount of time in advance for DXB flights but had no issues getting picked up in Abu Dhabi at 10:30 PM for a 3:30 AM flight.
Please report the aggressive driver who was explicitly asking for a tip to EK, that is unacceptable behaviour.
murtaza12 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Please report the aggressive driver who was explicitly asking for a tip to EK, that is unacceptable behaviour.
Is it customary to tip an Emirates driver (whether they've asked for one or not)? I'm just curious as to whether i should be tipping my drivers on an upcoming trip.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cosmo74
Is it customary to tip an Emirates driver (whether they've asked for one or not)? I'm just curious as to whether i should be tipping my drivers on an upcoming trip.
I've seen plenty of people who don't, it's not required, but I usually tip around 20-30 AED whenever I'm in DXB.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
Never have, and likely never will
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by wcel
Never have, and likely never will
Spoken like a true Scotsman!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by mjmal51
Spoken like a true Scotsman!
I was going to add that I was Scottish to my post but decided not to

I probably do tick quite a few Scottish stereotypes, but hey ho, so be it

I'm not a tipper in any environment other than when US culture basically dictates that necessity

You don't get to travel J and F for leisure by giving your money away
DYKWIA, mjmal51, thijsseh and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Edinburgh is bookable now for the chauffeur service.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by MosquesAndKebabs
I'll take your word for it!

I'll certainly try to get bags checked through, I've found MAA staff to be quite competent so hoping they can do it.

Thanks for the advise everyone!
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
BA won't even accept checked bags from their own flights unless its all one one ticket
Originally Posted by XXTSGR

Yes, they do - though it very much depends on the departure station and individual chec-in staff. From the UK, in my experience, it is pretty much a no no. However, to the UK it does sometimes work, though might require speaking to ground staff at the transfer airport e.g. when picking up the (BA) boarding pass in order for the luggage tag numbers being entered into their system and linked to the pax and flight.
Update: MAA check-in staff flat out refused. My bags at LGW came out 25 mins after the first bag. Trolley to South Terminal was easy - thanks for the advice everyone.

Oh and op-up to F at the gate in DXB
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by MosquesAndKebabs

Update: MAA check-in staff flat out refused. My bags at LGW came out 25 mins after the first bag. Trolley to South Terminal was easy - thanks for the advice everyone.

Oh and op-up to F at the gate in DXB
Excellent.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
I was going to add that I was Scottish to my post but decided not to

I probably do tick quite a few Scottish stereotypes, but hey ho, so be it

I'm not a tipper in any environment other than when US culture basically dictates that necessity

You don't get to travel J and F for leisure by giving your money away
For me, generosity and consideration of the driver's situation is essential. I always tip them. Step outside yourself and don't always make it about you. Most of the world does not have access to the privileges we enjoy, and generosity is always the best policy for me. If everyone showed generosity, maybe the world would be a better place. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:03 am

Unless of course you're saying you can barely afford an F or J ticket if you give away small amounts like that. Champagne tastes and beer income perhaps? If so, your actions are understandable and predictable
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by EKplat
Champagne tastes and beer income perhaps?
Absolutely - champagne lifestyle, prosecco budget

I save and plan meticulously with points/awards to maximise premium leisure travel opportunities once every 18/24 months

I'm happy you feel you can be generous and always consider others situations, however step outside yourself and don't always make it about you. Not everyone who gets to occasionally enjoy premium things is in your presumably privileged position and may be there through blood, sweat and tears
mjmal51 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:12 am

Absolutely - champagne lifestyle, prosecco budget

I save and plan meticulously with points/awards to maximise premium leisure travel opportunities once every 18/24 months

I'm happy you feel you can be generous and always consider others situations, however step outside yourself and don't always make it about you. Not everyone who gets to occasionally enjoy premium things is in your presumably privileged position and may be there through blood, sweat and tears
I'm happy that I have made you see the context of your own remarks. That's what I wanted. And I reiterate it's just my opinion. Thanks for making my day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.