Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Flex tix upgrades Baggage Allowances

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold

Interestingly I have noticed in the last week or so that when I upgrade with miles from a Flex Y to J (and also for saver Y to F the other day - see different thread) that my basic baggage allowance does not increase from 30kg in either MMB or the new eTicket that accurately reflects new class of travel and seat selected. Has it always been like this? I suspect not and wonder if it is another Skywards Programme enhancement that means one does not get the extra baggage allowance any more? I checked the Skywards Ts and Cs and found that it is silent on this ...
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:30 am

It has always been the case as far as I can remember. Upgraded Y to J, and J to F, always showed the original booking class allowance. But of course the higher limit was honoured at check in, never held back.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Thanks. Clearly I was not paying attention all these years - probably because I only check baggage in very rarely and even then it is minimal.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
I'm pretty sure if you upgraded a whole leg it used to correctly show your new baggage allowance.

However, I made an upgrade recently and it's not showing in MMB. I made the upgrade on the phone, and the operator told me I would definitely get the upgraded allowance.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:21 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Its hit and miss with the baggage allowance, more often than not it would remain as per the original class of travel but as mentioned above the new allowance is always honoured at check-in
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: EK, QF, VA
I emailed the EK Head Office about this a few weeks ago, and they said that they didn't realise that the new allowance was not appearing on the tickets. I only did this because the last two times I've tried to check in with 40kg after upgrading to J using miles I've had to argue with the check-in guys that I really did have 40kg, even though the ticket only said 30kg. In both cases, their supervisors OKed it a minute later, but it's irritating to have to go through the whole rigamarole when they could simply adjust the printed allowance on the upgraded ticket in the first place.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks evilbrian - I wonder if they will fix the glitch? Time will tell no doubt.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
I checked all my past tickets and yes, its true that the baggage allowance doesn't seem to increase even after upgrading the entire journey. Never noticed it in the past as was always way below the allowance....
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: EK, QF, VA
If I'm on a business trip I only rarely need the extra allowance, and that's always on the trip home if I'm weighed down with samples or literature, so I hadn't taken much notice until recently. However if I'm on holiday with Mrs Evil, she always finds a way to use every bit of the extra allowance for both of us....a variation on Parkinson's Law - spending expands to fill the baggage available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.