FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Flex tix upgrades Baggage Allowances (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1587705-flex-tix-upgrades-baggage-allowances.html)

mrtdxb Jun 23, 2014 1:20 am

Flex tix upgrades Baggage Allowances

Interestingly I have noticed in the last week or so that when I upgrade with miles from a Flex Y to J (and also for saver Y to F the other day - see different thread) that my basic baggage allowance does not increase from 30kg in either MMB or the new eTicket that accurately reflects new class of travel and seat selected. Has it always been like this? I suspect not and wonder if it is another Skywards Programme enhancement that means one does not get the extra baggage allowance any more? I checked the Skywards Ts and Cs and found that it is silent on this ...

edy4eva Jun 23, 2014 1:30 am

It has always been the case as far as I can remember. Upgraded Y to J, and J to F, always showed the original booking class allowance. But of course the higher limit was honoured at check in, never held back.

mrtdxb Jun 23, 2014 2:03 am

Thanks. Clearly I was not paying attention all these years - probably because I only check baggage in very rarely and even then it is minimal.

Turicus Jun 23, 2014 7:44 am

I'm pretty sure if you upgraded a whole leg it used to correctly show your new baggage allowance.

However, I made an upgrade recently and it's not showing in MMB. I made the upgrade on the phone, and the operator told me I would definitely get the upgraded allowance.

Zol Jun 23, 2014 9:21 am

Its hit and miss with the baggage allowance, more often than not it would remain as per the original class of travel but as mentioned above the new allowance is always honoured at check-in

evilbrian Jun 23, 2014 11:52 pm

I emailed the EK Head Office about this a few weeks ago, and they said that they didn't realise that the new allowance was not appearing on the tickets. I only did this because the last two times I've tried to check in with 40kg after upgrading to J using miles I've had to argue with the check-in guys that I really did have 40kg, even though the ticket only said 30kg. In both cases, their supervisors OKed it a minute later, but it's irritating to have to go through the whole rigamarole when they could simply adjust the printed allowance on the upgraded ticket in the first place.

mrtdxb Jun 24, 2014 1:03 am

Thanks evilbrian - I wonder if they will fix the glitch? Time will tell no doubt.

jackiedada Jun 24, 2014 1:36 am

I checked all my past tickets and yes, its true that the baggage allowance doesn't seem to increase even after upgrading the entire journey. Never noticed it in the past as was always way below the allowance....

evilbrian Jun 24, 2014 8:52 pm

If I'm on a business trip I only rarely need the extra allowance, and that's always on the trip home if I'm weighed down with samples or literature, so I hadn't taken much notice until recently. However if I'm on holiday with Mrs Evil, she always finds a way to use every bit of the extra allowance for both of us....a variation on Parkinson's Law - spending expands to fill the baggage available.